Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Thermax rental packages...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixiedrifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermax rental packages...
    Posted: 29/December/2004 at 6:37am

Ok I'm probably going to get flamed off the board for this.

Anyhoos, Thermax has a rental package program. Basically it works like this:

You select a location to place a rental rack inside a store. The racks contain 1-2 extraction machines, and a full assortment of chemicals. You offer the store between $8-10 per rental as an incentive to place your rack inside their location.

The store is responsible for selling the product and keeping track of the machines and chemicals. The store is issued a book where all rentees are required to furnish their drivers license number and deposit and to sign a contact stating that they will only use the chemicals that are sold in the store in their machine. If they break it, or return the machine uncleaned they will lose part or all of their deposit.

Now the idea is to make at least $20-25 every time the machine goes out the door and to have it go out the door as many times per week as possible.

If you have 10 locations, and average 1 rental per week per machine, you will make $250 for your efforts and all that is required is just one day of driving around and pick up your checks and do maintenance on the machines. Average 2 rentals per machine per week and that goes up to $500 and still one day of "work".

I know that pads and TM machines would blow these small rigs out of the water so to speak, but, the idea with this is to create a residual income where you basically don't have to put much effort into collecting a paycheck each week.

I don't think it would be totally bad for the professional either if they were to offer it, since they could offer the machine rentals themselves to price concious customers who posess a want for DIY projects.

Sponsored Links

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 12:07pm

sounds like a great way to decrease your customer base.

rentals,bissels,and DIY's are a CC's largest competition IMO

so do us a favor and buy some real crappy machines and sell some real lousy chems

Superglide Ken View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 6:40pm
You should rent out the pad machines instead. A much shorter learning curve involved and much more durable equipment mean more profit for you.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 8:15pm

Dixiedrifter,

Do-it-yourself carpet cleaning rental units is how I first entered this business. I owned Steamex of Canada. When I first entered what I though was a lucrative business it looked like I would become a millionaire almost overnight. That of course was only on paper.

In actual fact I had so many consignees stiff me over & over it became a nightmare. They spent your money and never have it on your arrival. They never keep the units clean and free of odor causing complaints. They take such poor identification the renters simply keeps the unit at home until someone calls.

No one ever calls as the clerk gave the machine to him not asking for the proper identification. Freezing and leaking water over other customers furnishings in the winter caused threats and law suits. You don’t want to hear the rest.

Some years later my company took on the task of servicing and picking up invoices for a large U.S. company who owned all the Home Depot rentals. The number of units that were stolen was totally unbelievable. You would need a police force to keep track of it.

NOT A GOOD MOVE…my opinion only.

Now if you choose to advertise both do it yourself and save or have us do it professionally that works. Why? Because the DIY market is twice as large as the professional market and will attract three times as many inquiries.

You can switch your potential customer back and forth. I actually did this and you would be amazed how many will rent from you then say next time we will have you do it. Then you have the people who totally refuse to pay professional price and will rent instead. Now the bigger profit is in the chemicals as they are packaged small and sold with attractive margins. The secret is for you a professional to actually deliver the unit, set it up and show them before you leave and suggest the proper product for them to use.

Have a delivered flat fee + product used. With this service why would they go elsewhere.

I have often wondered why some one has not started a franchise to offer this service. Now if you are still interested in placement in stores I would personally look at the Rental Package from EDIC.

Good Luck

Edited by Carpetologist
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 8:50pm
The rental HWE market is a P.I.T.A.  Ted. Hopefully, the rental of the Pad Machines in the larger markets will prove more profitable. Theft seems to be the biggest drawback from what I know of your experience. At least freeze-ups and dripping water from the pumps would not be a concern.
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 9:27pm

Ken and whoever else is listening.

The rental of an OP Machine is a fantastic idea. Less investment and much easier for the customer to comprehend. Forget how good your professional cleaning system is for the moment. And think about how many do-it-yourselfers there are wanting to rent a carpet cleaning machine.

Tap into this market. It sounds very profitable.

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 9:45pm
We will be doing just that with machines that will have a selling price under $1000. The pads and chemicals that go with them is where the real money is at.

Edited by Superglide Ken
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 9:56pm

Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

We will be doing just that with machines that will have a selling price under $1000. The pads and chemicals that go with them is where the real money is at.

Ken that last statement will probably piss off a lot of professional carpet cleaners and crank the board up again. But what they should understand is that the do-it-yourself carpet cleaning rental business is huge. And can be profitable.

This is a market that the professional carpet cleaner should own and not the grocery chain.

Food for thought.

PadMan View Drop Down
Dr. Low Moisture
Dr. Low Moisture

http://ccsop.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:07pm

WE have guys doing just that, most use the CCS Oscillator as it is so user freindly. This is nothing NEW.

Our CCS Oscillators are a 15" 1/2 hp machine that is on special for January... just click the link.

http://ccsop.com/index.php?url_channel_id=98&url_publish _channel_id=170&well_id=2

Converting HWE customer to VLM customers for 30 Years!
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:12pm

Good Deal, John.

IF you like underpowered equipment! Give them that price on a 3/4 hp machine and you might have something .Turboteck will be offering a 3/4 hp machine this Spring for only $999.00 that comes with the superior Sahara Super PadsWink

Edited by Superglide Ken
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:21pm

How's this scenario sound?

Deliver five OP Machines for 50 dollars each + chemicals before 11am in the morning. Go golfing or go clean carpet professionally till 3pm. Then pick up your five machines and your home by 5:30pm.

Not a bad day.

Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:31pm
Sounds good to me Ted. Not much chance of theft with that plan either.
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:45pm
TOOO GOOOOD to be true. What about the pads? What about instructions? Who is responsible?  I think everybody has seen the movie where Ernest (Jim Varney) tried to run a polsiher?Guitar
Just My opinion
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

SGK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superglide Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2004 at 10:48pm
OP's don't have the kick of the polishers or the RX so I don't see a problem there Doug; but I think you will report back tomorrow?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>