Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Recoiling over the Recoil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 2:02am
I agree, Mytee has a reputation as an inferior product which cannot hold a candle to the Ninja or Recoil.  It is the unit for the novice entering the cc biz.  A good jumping off unit if you don't have the money to do it right.  Everything they do is always done better by someone else with one exception, that being Rug Doctor.  I give them an E for Effort for at least competing though.  Maybe if they contracted out the manufacturing to a competitor of a somewhat superior standing and changed their name, they might be able to at least tie for first or second place. 

It would be better than seeing Mytee fade away into obscurity.  I have heard good things about their auto detailing units.  And they might make decent backup units for when you need a second unit for furniture cleaning while the carpets are being cleaned by your workhorse.  I keep on around and use it like a wetdry vac at times.  But I would not recommend a Mytee to anyone who wants to stay in this business, staking your company's reputation on one not blowing a pump or vac on the job.  The customer should not need flood protection for what damage a carpet cleaner's equipment can cause when it blows a pump or vac.

But, that is just my opinion.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Sponsored Links

CleanImage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CleanImage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 9:10am
I never had a problem with my Mytee. Great machine, and built smart.

I also never had a problem with my Recoil.

Why don't we go clean carpet? If a machine works for you, great.
Phillip Newell
www.cleanimagemarketing.com
www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 9:58am
LOL Duck. You don't actually expect many people here to buy into that load do you? Let me guess; Mr Ed sent you out here to balance the criticism out between the Recoil and Mytee, making it a "wash", even if you had to create some baseless lies.

For the record, I don't own a Mytee but have based my opinion on seeing them inside and out and reading Ken Harris' assessments. He considers them to be the best made portables at the moment and if he is not a porty expert, I don't know who is.

I understand that Locko detests the Recoil but my opinion is not based solely on his. I believe that his personal hatred for the machine is also based on his recent experience, where it left a customer's carpet soaked to the bone. I was not there so I am not basing my opinion on his nightmare with the machine. I have seen videos of the Recoil inside and out and was quite shocked at the design problems it has. I like the fact that it is american made but unfortunately, designed by an ignorant, stubborn, ranting, angry lunatic.

It doesn't take extensive research to see the staggering flaws of the Recoil. It begins with the flimsy handle, bolted into the fresh water tank. The machine has vulnerabilities from the root to the fruit.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 11:31am
Grutzy, I believe I have 800 more posts on record than yourself.  No on here can send me out here for any reason.  I generally practice a hands off around here but you are involved in a limited number of threads either attacking Ed, the Recoil or those who have a view opposing your own. 

I am amazed by your attempts to establish credibility for yourself while at the same time tossing around opinions flavored with a staggered attempt at the use of adjectives regarding the subject of your attacks.

Perhaps you would like to show anyone who has not given up on this thread in particular exactly what you mean by purchasing a Recoil, modifying it yourself to your specifications of what makes a superior extractor and ship it to Ed for his review of the unit. 

Or are you a practicing arm chair quarterback in the game of equipment manufacturing?  The jury is out.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:24pm
Ducky, if Mr Ed wanted me to modify his portable to make it a better machine, I would be glad to do it, as long as there was some reward for me at the completion. The first things I would do is to eliminate some of the physical vulnerabilities of the machine, such as the flimsy handle, in favor of something mounted much higher and of stronger design. I would upgrade to 2" internal vac hoses and more modern, efficient and powerful vacuum motors. I would also eliminate the 2 stage booster, instead settting it up to run in series with one of the internal 3 stage vacs. This would eliminate the vulnerable exterior hose and give it some much needed lift. With his own external booster, one could regain the cfm that would be lost by eliminating the internal booster. If this is not a feasible modification, I would run the internal vacs in series and keep the booster as is and add his external booster for more cfm. I would remove the hard wired electrical wires for heavier gauge ones that only come out about 4' from the machine and have twist lock ends, with related 50' electric cords.

I would then modify the body so that it would be easy to gain access to the bottom section, without the use of screws. A quick lock and release mechanism would serve the purpose. I think the wheels are fine despite what Locko said about them.  I would add a rubber seal to the waste tank lid. I would change the side dump hole to be a more mechanical design for easier use. I would add a water pressure gauge. Ultimately, it could use thicker body panels for more strength but this would mean a complete overhaul (big $$).

For the record, I did not say I would purchase a Recoil but if Mr Ed V wanted me to set one up to be a much better machine, these are the things I would do.
Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:26pm

IMO part of the reason the Recoil comes under attack so much(yes not just by the couple of guys on this board) is because of the value for the money. When you charge $3195 for a portable people have higher expectations for it than when a machine costs around $2000. If a manufacturer is going to charge double this price for a machine not made any better they should expect a few knocks from the buying public. Offer products that offer exordinary value for the money and this will not be a problem.Smile

Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:37pm

Ken, I think the Recoil comes under attack for several reasons. One is because of the bombastic buffoonery that goes on about the machine from Coil cult members. They proclaim that it is God's gift to portable carpet cleaning when this is obviously not true and this instigates a lot of negativity. Another reason that the Coil is the subject of so much negative attention is because of the way that Mr Ed presents himself, lashing out like a rabid animal every time the Recoil is criticized. First, the guy presents himself as a pure phony, pretending he is a nice, country fellow. Once there is some tension in the air, he whips his mane and bucks like a rabid mule, sprinkling out insults like a rice-heaving bride.

alexanderS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 1:46pm
I suppose what I do not understand is why Grutzy and Tank are never letting things die!
Ok you have made your point! Lets move on. Those who dissagree with you can definitely do very well without you and your continual critisism.

I can't believe that two people who are not part of this industry  know more about this subject  than the owner operators  or distributors or manufacturers.
It really seems like this is some sort of contest to see which one is the better
debater. You have nothing at stake here. All you do is use cutting remarks and
vague reasoning rather than truly explain with valid points why a Recoil 3XPS is
an inferior overpriced high performance portable. You do not answer why so
many choose the Recoil 3XPS over the others. I don't put down Mytee! I really
do  know some things about them but I would never just go on a forum and try to
discredit Mytee or their products or the CEO of Mytee.  I have read on their
own website what they have and I do know for the most part the components
they choose to use in their extractors.  So should I go on a rampage about a
competitor? No!   Their products are not immune from critics! Nobody is! But
you two have a purpose, a singular purpose when it comes to this subject!
So don't come back and say you do not have an agenda because we are not
so stupid so as not to see what you are up to.

Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 6:13pm
How assuming you are, alexander. I have probably been in this business for longer than you have and I do not have an agenda besides bringing reality into light when the BS begins to fly from the Coil Cult. They seem to bellow their nonsense from one forum to another and have become an internet nuisance, with the horsehead leading the way. They have gone so far on the truckmount forum that the owner of Mytee decided to leave and the owner of the forum considers them to be a relentless nuisance. 

I never said the "Recoil is an inferior, overpriced, high performance portable" simply because "high performance" is not the way I would describe a Recoil. At best, it is middle of the road in performance; at worst, a nightmare of a weakling that left Locko's business in legal jeopardy. However, it's problems are so much more extensive than disappointing performance and I laid them out clearly. If Mr Ed truly developed his machine into the best portable, I would be the first one to buy one and congratulate him. Instead, he is trying to haul out a rusty, old battleaxe of a mule and call it a thoroughbred. God forbid anybody asks Mr Ed, "You aren't really going to run that hobbling sow, are you?", he goes berserk as though it emerged from his womb.

I'll tell you what I don't like; the obvious way that he sends out his pawns from one forum to the next to hype up the thing. It's quite a corny and desperate attempt and I feel obligated to shut the nonsense down when I am present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 6:52pm
Grutzy I can see how you might resent my last post. You use the word cult.
Somebody wise once said if you don't like religon call them a  cult. It is easy and
requires no explanation!
Those who own Recoils are not following Ed Valentine. They have done business with
him.  As far as being in business longer than I have well I am not sure that is relevant
or true.
And whether your business activities are related to this industry. ?? 
You continue to bring up Locko's experience as something that is common with
Cross-American Recoils . I have owned  Recoils and I never once had any problems .
 I basically used one which I mounted in my van with auxillary tanks. I had hose reels and basically I was set up. I also used a 2HT propane heater. When I cleaned carpet with
my Recoil 3HP I had everything in place and all that I needed to an excellent job that
I took pride in.  . In now way was I disadvanged in my efforts to clean my customers carpets.  I had an effecient and
powerful system. The new second generation XPS not only has a more powerful
pump but also has more vacuum. So it is difficult to see how you could possibly
help me or Ed Valentine or anybody else in this industry. Of course it is not your
intention to help anyone on this forum but rather your purpose is to discredit
not only Ed Valentine but also his products , period.....
 I will quite responding to your posts when I feel it is the right time. I am nobodies
pawn! Whose pawn are you?
Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2010 at 7:56pm
You said I was not a part of this industry, did you not? Whatever criticism I have given to Mr Ed, he had it coming after calling me a retard among other names. In fact, if you check the logs, you will see that it was Mr Ed who through the first stones.

So you put a Recoil in a van and some reels of hose in there. You can also place a King's crown on a frog and it is still a frog.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2010 at 11:59am

Have you even seen the video which showed a Recoil 3XPS with a 2HT propane heater

sitting in a trailer while he was cleaning carpet inside a residence? It has Jim Morrow owner operator demonstrating that this can be and is being done all over the USA.
Even in Canada! They use it truckmounted in the UK.

Grutzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grutzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2010 at 7:01pm
You can run 500' of hose but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. In my opinion, the main advantage of using any portable is in the use of less vacuum hose. If you can get a portable up to 300 cfm (assuming it has good lift as well) or so and only use 50' of hose, it is close to what you get out of a mid sized truckmount that is running some 100' of hose. By leaving a portable in a trailer or a van, you are losing vacuum power. It is also better to have the portable at a lower height for optimum vac power. If it is elevated in a van or trailer, it has to pull the water upward.
You really need a 2 man crew with any carpet cleaning setup but especially with a portable. You are losing a lot of vac power if you leave it in a vehicle, regardless of which porty you are using. They do not have the power of a truckmount and you have to take advantage of their mobility in order to even out the playing field, so to speak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexanderS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2010 at 8:48pm
No I never said it was as powerful as a gasoline powered truckmount.
As the video demonstrates and many of the portable users have seen the video,is that
it has plenty of vacuum ,pressure with flow, and especially in the case where they
use Jim Morrows setup it has plenty of hot cleaning solution. He has adapted a
2HT Little Giant heater to his setup. The video proves my point and disproves yours!
I doubt their is anyway to get you to admit that you are wrong even though
the facts demonstrate we have been telling the truth! You evidently have little
respect for Ed Valentine or Cross-American. That is fine there is room for all kinds
in this world. You really do not know him and are not open to any kind of relevant,
truthful discussion when it comes to the Recoil 3XPS. You are here to find fault
even though the overwhelming evidence says you are totally wrong.
You are an intellegent man but there are from my point of view people behind
you. Your job is to put doubt in the mind of potential Cross-American buyers.
I can not stop you from doing that. So go on and say whatever.

Good Bye
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>