Print Page | Close Window

Recoiling over the Recoil

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to portable carpet cleaning machines
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6528
Printed Date: 27/April/2024 at 3:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Recoiling over the Recoil
Posted By: Java Beansoup
Subject: Recoiling over the Recoil
Date Posted: 08/April/2010 at 3:51pm
Hello,
I am sorta in a bit of a situation. About a month ago I started researching portable equipment because one of mine died and we need it replaced for some of the commercial work we do. After much research I decided on the Cross-American Recoil. When I talked with Ed V. I told him that since I am buying it sight unseen, if I was not happy with it I was going to send it back and I would pay the shipping, but I would expect a refund. He told me that he would not do business that way. So I got spooked from buying it. The other thing that gives me reason to pause is when I asked for a list of people in my area that he has sold these units to he seemed reluctant to offer that. He did say he would try, but its been a month and he still hasn't. I know I heard some really enthusiastic comments about Ed's machine but his response makes me wonder if he is just really small time. And if I have any problems with it then he's going to be a real hassle to deal with. To me he sounded very confident with his equipment until it came time to back it up. He may have other reasons for not wanting to put any type of guarantee on his work but to me it just seemed that I was taking the bigger risk buy laying out hundreds of dollars in shipping costs and he was risking nothing. So I backed way off because Ed's company sounds like a difficult company to deal with. 
Okay so that is my situation, now my question is has anyone ever bought one of these machines sight unseen? Have you been happy with it? Is there anything you have been unhappy with? How is the service after the sale with Cross American? Anything that anyone could tell me about their experience would be helpful. 

Replies:
Posted By: Michael
Date Posted: 08/April/2010 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Java Beansoup Java Beansoup wrote:

Hello,
He may have other reasons for not wanting to put any type of guarantee on his work but to me it just seemed that I was taking the bigger risk buy laying out hundreds of dollars in shipping costs and he was risking nothing. So I backed way off because Ed's company sounds like a difficult company to deal with.

By all accounts it's a great machine and Ed's great to deal with, but long-distance dealings stress both parties. I'm always guarded around customers who seem especially interested in the guarantee. I can't speak for Ed, though he may speak for himself since he's on these boards a lot. Learning to back off from transactions that don't quite feel right is invaluable to small business people.

If I were you, I would buy a reputable machine from a local dealer who will service the warranty. Keeps things simple and reliable.

Posted By: Paul63
Date Posted: 08/April/2010 at 9:14pm
Java

Cross American Machines are tops. I have bought two  since 2001 and I have been very happy with them.  I personally wouldn't consider buying any other portable machine.  They truly are high performance.

believe me, Ed is a really a great guy to deal with. 

Posted By: CCandmore
Date Posted: 09/April/2010 at 5:12pm
I have 2 Recoil XPS. Great machines and the customer service from Ed is Top-notch.

Posted By: BPW
Date Posted: 13/April/2010 at 11:03pm
Java, Cross American is a great company to deal with. If you have any problems or questions Ed will take the time to make sure you are satisfied. Not all companies go the extra mile. Ed will! I purchased my recoil XPS this year and I love it.

Bentley

Posted By: mrsqueaky
Date Posted: 14/April/2010 at 11:15pm
I too have purchased a few things from Ed and have nothing but the best respect for him. His equipment is great and he will stand behind it 100%. You cannot go wrong with a Cross American. I bought a recoil based on other users comments and photos of the machine.

Posted By: canoer5222
Date Posted: 15/April/2010 at 11:46am
  If your looking for an reliable and easy to service portable that can also be used at distances of 150 ft (more w/booster) ,the Recoil will not disappoint you!
  I personally had the opportunity to meet Ed and tour his factory. Both Ed and his plant are "top-notch". Ed has over 30 years of knowledge to offer! His machines Hand built one at a time (no assembly line here). Snooping around I saw that he had orders from Great Britain (shipping costs $$$$ ?)to California (sight unseen).
   Prior to meeting Ed I had Demos with an Mytee and an Ninga. IMOP no comparison w/Recoil. Both big box company s with quality issues (Mytees booter,Ningas mtr.)will alway be an concern.I did 3 months of research before I puled the trigger and bought an Recoil 3 XPS and never once have regretted my choice.
                                                                 Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Posted By: Ed Valentine
Date Posted: 15/April/2010 at 12:50pm
Gentlemen;

I thank all of you for your very kind comments.

I must say however, in defense of my personal reputation and our Company policies here, they are all in place to protect the purchaser,....AND ourselves. However, since Java Beansoup has posted his concerns, I feel obligated to at least interject our side of things.

Although his basic description (over-view) of his purchase requests were somewhat correct, what I was told "was not exactly" in those "exact" words. In other words, we had to protect and lookout for our company holding the goods based on a couple Red Flags.

Now, unfortunately, the problem with a comment ,like the origional topic above, it puts us in a very uncomfortable situation in that we feel it not very honorable to post our exact conversation (at this point) with any customer since we believe that it is honorable to keep it confidential and not to embarass anyone on a public forum, like this one. It just doesn't achieve anything positive.

IMHO, our Company history has proven that we have worked extremely hard over the past 33-34 years in this great Industry of ours helping thousands of Operators all over the World tp provide themselves and their families a good  living. And, if the many user testimonials above, a Plant walk-thru by a customer, our personal phone conversations, or my years of participating on these forums sharing common-sense information are not enough to convince a potential Operator to purchase from us, then, they do have other choices. It should be enough verification for most.  Nevertheless, I always wish them the very best in their eventual purchase, always. And, it would be interesting to know how jammed his e-mail box was from the competition directly when he posted his displeasure. (Bet I could guess-LOL!)

Now, over all these years we have made many many exceptions to our policies. And, we have never had an opportunity to ever charge a customer a return fee either. But, I will not "detail" the reasons why because of my reference to confidential statement above, but I will say that it would make you fall back on your heals and cry! (Ofcourse, unless you have a couple million dollars to blow?!)

However, like yourselves, you always (and seldom, btw) have the ability and choice not to sell or service a potential situation if it doesn't sound quite right. And the more experience one gets, the greater importance these red flags become. I'll bet that our board administrator, Ted Harding could tell alot of appauling stories of his own in regards to similar matters too!

But, please note at this point, nothing personal against Java beansoup and his true character. I can only -assume- that he is a great person and meant well. But, it is my job to look out for our business and its honest efforts based on what was really he stated & requested.

Thanks again to all above. You guys are true Pro's;
Ed Valentine
"Smart-Designed" systems

Posted By: dans&e
Date Posted: 20/April/2010 at 2:19pm
we just bought the recoil xps system from Ed.  we live in British Columbia, Canada, and i am convinced we could not have got better service anywhere.  And delivery was exceptional.  we had the equipment shipped to a shipping company in Sumas, Wa. and saved a bundle on shipping costs.  Clap

-------------
smarter than the average bear.

Posted By: dans&e
Date Posted: 20/April/2010 at 2:24pm
oops, that was a quadra 4pak we (my husband and I) bought.  

-------------
smarter than the average bear.

Date Posted: 28/April/2010 at 2:31pm
A very sincere THANK YOU to all comments above. And, even to JavaBean for bringing up the subject testing our creditability that definitely has proven that our 34 years in this Industry has a proven history and terrific (not just "good") reputation.
These qualities have been paramount to our innovative products and will continue to be for the next 34 years.

Thanks again;
Ed Valentine
"Smart-Design" Components/Systems

Posted By: Duck Country
Date Posted: 30/April/2010 at 10:38pm
Java Bean sounds like someone just trying to stir up trouble. 
1.  He never posted anything on this board other than the original message.
2.  Java and NETBean are both names all Java programmers know which makes me think he knows about as much about carpet cleaning as I do about facelets.

The question is who stands to gain the most from discrediting Ed Valentine?  The one who is losing the most by him being in business?  New competition?  Look for someone offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee who is his competitor and maybe we will be looking in the right direction.

Ed is a price among men, creates not only solutions that work but customers who praise his work.  Do they buy lots of equipment from him?  Only for their growing business, not as replacements.

I do VLM cleaning so I have no need to his equipment however I did for a long time use a porty and I would have considered replacing my Mytee machines with the mightiest machine.

The company JavaBean says he owns is a truckmount company and someone who use Joe Polish's Piranha tactics.  I wonder if Joe would even care that someone acting like one of his disciples attacks with innuendos about a man and his credibility?

-------------
http://www.vlmcca.org - Very Low Moisture Carpet Cleaners Association

Posted By: alexanderS
Date Posted: 10/May/2010 at 9:01pm

I have been in this industry for 40 years. 20 of those years I have been a distributor for Cross-American. Most of you already have defended Ed since many have talked to him on the phone and many have purchaced equipment from him . All with good products and great service.

When Ed Valentine sells a Recoil 3 XPS this is not just a sale. It is the beginning of a relationship with somebody who will always be there when you call. He is very generous with his advice from his many years of experience in this industry.

To sell a machine on whether or not a person may or may not be satisified is not possible. Yes I have seen "buy back guarantees". Have any of you ever read one. Basically if you purchace a Bane Clene truckmount or a Butler and decide that you want to return it. Yes you can do that! However it is going to cost you so much money and trouble that it isn't worth it. I owned a Bane System and I read their buy back guarantee.

I don't blame those companies for their policies . But the fact of the matter is that Ed Valentine is just too honest to do something like that.  He wants you to be convinced that your purchace is a good one. And when you do get your Recoil 3 XPS or a Power Booster you will love it. 

Posted By: Grutzy
Date Posted: 25/August/2010 at 11:01pm
His customer service may be good but that Recoil machine has lots of issues. If you don't believe me, go on over to the reviews at truckmountforum.com. It is nowhere near as well built or advanced as a Mytee M5.

Posted By: Soil Lint Green
Date Posted: 25/August/2010 at 11:15pm
To be honest, there is a growing prejudice among truckmount cleaners who feel threatened by competition running portables and higher profits as a result.  Go to a forum with a more level playing field and you hear nothing but praise for Ed's machines.

It's like asking Republicans what they think of Obama or Democrats what they think of Bush Jr.  Can you say Bias?  I knew you could.

-------------
It's ORY GUN, not OR A GONE. Learn to talk.

Date Posted: 26/August/2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Grutzy Grutzy wrote:

His customer service may be good but that Recoil machine has lots of issues. If you don't believe me, go on over to the reviews at truckmountforum.com. It is nowhere near as well built or advanced as a Mytee M5.

Bullsh*t. I think the people who conducted those tests were honest and without any hidden agendas but those tests were done using a machine that was damaged in shipping then repaired. When they test with a machine that is for sure in proper order the cfm and lift results may or may not be the same (probably not) but who cares? The bottom line is people who purchase or use Recoils speak very highly of the machine and Ed Valentine. It's a powerful portable with a balance of cfm and lift that allows cleaning at longer hose runs. I use mine at 50' and 100'. Others go farther. If that is not what you are looking for then buy something else; no one machine fits everyone's needs.

Date Posted: 26/August/2010 at 7:29pm
The TMF has a problem! There are a lot of Recoil 3XPS fans.
Cross-American has earned their good reputation! There
are a few who like to just stir things up! Some of them are
so called important people. Some are actually fictitious who
post a name and do not have a real profile on record. So
they say whatever they want. We caught one though and
that was quite satasfying I must say!
The proof is in the customers who have purchaced products
from Ed Valentine. 99% are very happy!

Date Posted: 26/August/2010 at 8:18pm
The fact is the machine is built very poorly and has archaic design and engineering. I agree that one can achieve good cleaning power out of a portable but there are far better foundations than the Recoil.

Date Posted: 26/August/2010 at 9:13pm
Ever owned a Recoil XPS, Grutzy? If not, on what do you base your statements? In my opinion, based on owning and operating 2 Recoils as well as a Hydramaster CDS, the Recoils do not have the modern appearance of some other models but they are built for performance, dependability, and versatility. I've used the Recoil with a short 25' hose and it worked great but I would have also been happy with other good portables at that distance. When you need 50', 100', or more vac hose then the Recoil really outpaces the competition. Also, the Recoil doesn't blow circuit breakers which can be very important, depending on where you live and work.

Date Posted: 26/August/2010 at 10:46pm
Grunt, what do you use to clean carpet?  Some gas guzzling gross polluter or a rental rug doctor?  Not sure why you try to talk crap about the best unit on the market but your colors are starting to show real fast.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/August/2010 at 8:42am
Gentlemen;

We all realize that no one (even this person hiding behind the name of; Grutzy, can ever satisfy everyone. Especially when you have thousands of customers as we have come in contact with over the past 34 years. But his comments reflex the BS we have heard from a few "lapdogs" with a common adjenda.)

Thought this was one of the 'to the point" comments regarding these guys and their so called "testing" recently. Mr. Mike Charles couldn't have stated it better:

Today on US bb at 03:34:23 PM »
http://uscleanersnetwork.com/smf/index.php?action=post;quote=22892;topic=2625.0;num_replies=5;sesc=0a18a587ed440eb2d8bf2c4cbd179e38">Reply with quoteQuote

"It's apparent that Ed's "detractors" that love to run down his equipment, all with the stated purpose of only "educating" their lapdogs, while professing that liars, cheats and hucksters will be stoned by the angry mob, have in fact been leading the sheep to the slaughter since the illegal glide maker has now come out with an "improved" portable.

And tried to test a 7 year old CA unit and pass it off as a new model..

Liars, cheats and hucksters, huh?

From the same gang that brought out the Chinese made AX clone when the patent expired on the original...only to not have to recall it and refund the purchase price once due to bad parts..but twice..and then can the project.

Keep on doing what you're doing Ed...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."

Mike Charles
Professional Cleaning Contractor

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 28/August/2010 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Soil Lint Green Soil Lint Green wrote:

what do you use to clean carpet?  Some gas guzzling gross polluter.
Thats what i use. Pimpin

Date Posted: 28/August/2010 at 2:19am
I have both Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 28/August/2010 at 10:11pm

Grunt, what do you use to clean carpet?  Some gas guzzling gross polluter or a rental rug doctor?  Not sure why you try to talk crap about the best unit on the market but your colors are starting to show real fast.

LOL!
 "........best unit on the market". You must be Ed Valentine's son or nephew........daughter.........son in law?

The Recoil doesn't even allow you to empty the waste tank completely because the dump valve is higher than the waste tank floor. Give me a break. It has an external hose that could easily get ripped off on a door frame. The body is too weak and thin. All its vac motors are in parallel which is good for cfm but the machine lacks water lift as a result. The lids don't even seal like a modern machine, especially important on the waste tank side where vacuum could be leaking. Where's the lid gasket? It doesn't have a water pressure gauge. The handle in the back is flimsy and is bolted on below the water line, which can cause a serious problem (poor engineering). The internal vacuum motors are from Home Depot and are only 1.5" pool vac hoses, adding restricition to potential vacuum power. The hoses are also arranged in a way that is sloppy and not consistent with good flow characteristics.

Did I forget something?

Posted By: TA152H
Date Posted: 28/August/2010 at 10:43pm

Remarks like that are just ignorant.  

If you use electricity, do you know where that comes from?  I'll give you a hint, it's not free of pollutants either.

It's interesting, and funny, to see being self-righteous about not having a truck mount.  Most people would prefer one, except for the price which they can not afford.  Portables are certainly useful, and advantageous in many situations, so I'm not knocking them.  

Furthermore, emission of carbon dioxide are VERY green, not the reverse.  The uneducated somehow frame these emissions differently, but, as anyone should know, plants LOVE carbon dioxide.  They grow faster, by a lot, and produce more food with more in the environment.  So, there's a negative feedback loop with carbon dioxide.  The more you pump into the air, the faster it is removed, so it won't increase forever unless we kill plants and don't give them a chance to do what they want.

More to the point, there are a bunch of CA groupies who love to say how wonderful this machine is, but, in reality, it's been tested, and found wanting.  It's poorly constructed (so much so that one of the owners had to change his vacs back to stock, because the body was flexing too much when he upgraded the motors, and he was afraid it would break), and has many ergonomic flaws as indicated in the testing done on TruckMountForums.  I didn't agree with all of the criticisms, but, most are irrefutable. 

You'll also notice how this group loves to deal in generalities, instead of producing hard numbers which would back up their claims of how powerful this machine is.  You'll get so and so saying this, bold claims of being in business for so many years, claims of envy from others, but no facts.  They deal in smoke and mirrors, and avoid cold, hard facts that would quantify the performance.  Try getting a number from them, like CFM, or lift, and you'll get fluff, distortion, and obfuscation.  You'll get an anecdote, possibly real, from someone.  You won't get numbers.  

Performance IS quantifiable.  It's not like arguing which girl is prettier, or which peach tastes better.  But, when tested, the Recoil showed poor performance.  So, they say it was a bum machine.  So the forum owner offered to pay for anyone to ship their machine to him for testing, including Mr. Valentine, to show the performance.  Of course, nothing came of it.  They know the performance is bad, and would prefer to say something is wrong with the machine.   If they send another machine, people will realize the machine isn't a good performer, by design.

This is not to say it can't clean a carpet, just there are cheaper choices (M5) that are better.

Now, Ed Valentine and I argue often, but to say he wouldn't properly support his machine sounds pretty foolish.  If he had something I wanted(his booster is certainly an attractive product), I'd have no fear of purchasing something from him.  From these rabid groupies, you can safely say his customer service should not be brought into question.

The Recoil, on the other hand ...

Date Posted: 29/August/2010 at 8:01am
Mr Valentine, do me a favor and build a modern machine before you go calling me a "lap dog". You can't expect to build a business and continue to flourish based on sending in some of your pawns to spew a bunch of lies on your behalf, all over the internet. The Recoil is not horrible, it's just not good and certainly not a great machine like you keep trying to project it to be. Improve the thing and I will be the first to commend it.

Date Posted: 29/August/2010 at 12:23pm
Grutzy, you obviously have never operated a Recoil 3XPS!   The owners and operators continue to say the Recoil 3 is a great machine to use and operate.
I have been working with Ed Valentine for many years . I have done quite a bit
of experienting with different vacuum configurations and for one thing the waste tank
has never had a lot of flexing or problems. I have never heard of one being damaged
by too much vacuum.
I changed the 2 3 stages out for 2 617 air watt vacuum motors and left the
2 stage booster in place. I used it to clean a couple areas in my home and had
no problem with the waste tank flexing as you have indicated from hear say.I
also empied our swimming pool out with it in this configuration                                     I
 I  eventually took one of the new motors out and put the stock motor back for
amperage reasons. I then sold it and  he is doing well with it. He was
pleased with the performance and ease of use the last time I talked to him.

He has his reason for putting the dump valve above the bottom level. The water
acts as a filter and helps keep the vac motors clean. There is another screen filter
for each vac motor. People often wonder why vacuum motors last so long in the
Recoil 3s. Well that is one reason. Centrifigul vacuum motors will not tolerate
dirt or foam or any other contaminants hence the disign of waste tank. It does have
a clean out on the bottom right side to flush whatever it remaining at the end of the
day.
Finally then is the Recoil 3XPS a perfect machine? No it is not! But it continues to get
improvements on a regular basis. Many things that no one really thinks of to help it
work better and last longer.He has not gone over to the newer brand vac motors because quite frankly there are a lot of questions about reliability and short life!

Date Posted: 29/August/2010 at 6:27pm
Good god, I have come to expect tall tales coming from the Coil crowd but this one takes the cake. You seem to be a friendly guy, Alexander so I will be respectful but what do you mean that the bottom water works as a filter? Do you mean it is above the soil particles and thus keeps them from being sucked through the vac motors when the machine is initially turned on? If so, I contend that this water accumulation does not allow the machine to be cleaned out properly and thus would tend to collect more soil and sand at the bottom than if the drain allowed complete removal of waste water. Secondly, I would rather be able to clean the tank out after every job as I do with my machine. The idea of stagnating waste water is hardly desirable.
I realize that the machine has a drain hole on the side but even that is designed in a very primitive way. I also do not like the design of the bottom of the machine being mounted to the top section via screws. Screws into plastic will only last a very short time before the plastic strips out. Some quick lock and release mechanisms would be more appropriate for a machine built in the last 50 years.
If Mr Valentine would like me to be instrumental in a complete redesign and overhaul of the machine, I would be glad to help, assuming that I would receive a new unit once the redesign is complete.  

Posted By: Michael
Date Posted: 29/August/2010 at 10:58pm
I like reading about different machines and getting a okay birds-eye-view of what's out there. Unless I've had a chance to mess with one, though, I only have impressions. That's not enough. I want one that's easily available with good manufacturer support. I have a Mytee because both the supplier and builder are local. To the average end user, most of the issues brought up in this thread mean much less than those two factors. That said, I will chime in that having a stubborn layer of water in the waste tank irritates the crap out of me.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 9:23am
I love the way some of these guys hide behind a name like: "Grutzy".

You few "Lap Dogs" are something else stating all the BS about what a low quality machine the RECOIL is. However, the truth of the matter is and the most important thing here is that "the other" machines have been proven on the boards to have many problems.  BUT NOT THE RECOIL. Humm, I wonder why such a lower quality machine wouldn't have great problems. I wonder why a lower quality machine would have so darn much support from its Operators. And, I wonder why Cross-American has been in this Industry selling all over the World for so many years, (34 years), or why the Competition has been (trying) to ride our coattails?

Hummm. Grutzy, I suggest that you go back to your Leader and ask for a newer strategy because this ones getting old.

But, then again, you are wasting my time and the valuable input that others may be looking for here. And, although I do know ---who you really are because you have given away several key elements here--- please remember this:

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~

Yep, that sounds like you.

very best to all and I must apologize for this idiot because this is a great board;
Ed Valentine

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 11:29am
Let's hold his hand and point him back to TMF which for him is a sandbox called Too Much Fun.  He knows nothing about carpet cleaning, little about the equipment used, nothing about the engineering of the equipment and chemicals, and probably resents the fact that he was sold down the river into some overpriced gas guzzling gross polluter he thinks does a better job at cleaning carpet than the top rated portable.  And he actually talks like his Mytee is on par with Cross-American?  Someone should check for an exhaust leak in his boat anchor of a rig.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 12:08pm
 HATE: not a virus nor a germ. Its a disease. And its rampant in this world.
You can find it almost everywhere the next time you look in the mirror! Stern Smile

Also:
jealousy
fear of the competition.. Any more you would like to add?

Soil would you quit say that? I love my TM.
and my recoil
and my 175
and  my dog
and my Girl........... Banana Dance

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 12:52pm

Ed,

You know, reading your posts has shown an interesting pattern, and I'll give you some friendly advice, or really remind you of something you already know.

When you start calling people idiots, despite what you think you're saying, you're calling yourself one.  You look smaller by using childish insults, even if you think they are deserved.  Don't lose your composure or dignity anymore, it does not help your business at all.  I wouldn't buy from someone that threw around childish insults.

Also, based on your, at best, remedial command of English, I would say he's probably smarter than you.  Stay away from that argument, and stick to the machine.  There's nothing good for you there.

I'm guessing from your design choices, you'd never own stock, and would rather keep your money in a bank, where it's guaranteed.  Your machine is built that way.  I guess you figure that's quality, and I guess I can understand it, even though I don't agree with it.  You made very conservative choices, because you value the machine working all the time as being very, very critical, and in as many situations as possible, at the expense of performance.  It seems your choices for vacuum motors were dominated by fear of blowing circuits.  After all, if the machine isn't working, you can't make money, and that's what it's all about.  

But, on the other hand, a more powerful vacuum system saves a lot of time, and there are generators for those stubborn situations where electrical conditions simply aren't cooperating.  

I'm also confused why you'd add a two-stage booster in parallel, when this should lower the lift of the machine, which already is the weakness.  I know this makes sense from an electrical perspective - use it when electrical situations permit, but I'm curious why you didn't choose a low amperage higher lift vac (at the expense of CFM), so wouldn't lose lift at all, and gain some, while still gaining (albeit less) CFM.

I know you don't want to offer a more powerful version because it would make your existing one less appealing, and I'm sure with your conservative nature, you'd prefer that to be your main product.  Also, the tanks buckling in probably place some limit on the power, but, at the same time, there is a benefit to selling a more powerful machine to people that really want it.  

So, I think I found something that might be useful.  I'm sure the body could handle a good 20% more power (the guy that was worried about buckling went considerably higher), and probably 30%.  Now, you wouldn't want this on your website because I'm sure you don't want this as your main machine ( how many people would want the "weaker" machine, after all), so I suggest you sell this machine as a special order only.  Don't advertise it on the website, unless you want to just mention machines can be custom configured, and then have people call you for more information.  This way you'd have a good idea if it makes sense.  You could also make it known on forums this higher powered machine could be sold, and again you'd have the benefit of talking to the person and ascertaining if it makes sense, without creating buyer reluctance towards your main machine, for people buying from the internet.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 2:32pm
TANK,
    YOU ALSO WERE ALSO ASKED TO SHOW TMF ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF CARPET CLEANING ETC. WITH THEIR "EXPERT" .HE EVEN SAID HE WOULD COME TO YOU !!!I SUPPOSE YOU WERE A NO-SHOW ALSO.
   NO-SHOW JUST LIKE YOUR PROFILE!!

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 2:46pm
TA152H ,

I can see that you are one of those guys who are trying to be an "Arm-Chair" engineer at the expense of others, especially the unsuspecting and potential Operator(s) who spend their hard earn money for future success, instead of disappointment. And, it is most interesting that it is alright for you to throw arrows at us or the thousands of satisfied operators of Cross-American equipment, but it is not fair that we throw them back. Hummm. Wonder why?!

It is very evident that you do not know or  are not aware of the true value of the proper industrial design---from flipping the switch-to-the- wand, or the energy requirements and/or limits as we do.

We will continue as we always have, in the development of the most efficient system ever developed way beyond the negative BS our competitors or yourself may spew in a losing effort to discredit those who strive to be the very best in this great Industry of ours. Your words above are deplorable and contain many many "Assumptions" that are so darn misleading that you, sir, are showing your ignorance in abundance.

Finally, I see that you have a pattern of making your way around to different boards ( & using different handles to hide behind), that will put up with you for a while. However, weren't you kicked off the ics bb?

Realize one thing: You may love to be a negative person and throw the BS however, we are not going away. SO, go develop your so called "Dynomite" machine. Just let us know when you're ready to turn it on so we can all run!

Very best to all;
Ed Valentine

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 8:44pm

Ed,

I don't know what you're talking about, but that's probably because you're wrong about something.

I don't really know what ICS is, other than I've heard it's a forum as well.  So, to answer your question directly, no.

If you weren't a paranoid little man, you'd realize I wasn't being negative.  I don't even want you to go away, I want you to make a better machine.  That's my only motive.

People often view other's actions through their own eyes, and bestow motivation based on that, so you pretty clearly indicate what your motives would be.  But, I have no motivation beyond what I've said.  

I've answered your question directly, why can't you answer mine?  Can't you answer one question directly, instead of your normal vague nonsense?  Do you think no one notices that you can't answer a question?  

Lastly, I don't have a problem with you arguing with people, but when you start calling them idiots, that's where it gets childish.  You don't see the difference?  In reality, you're  not a smart guy at all, and you'd be calling someone an idiot?  Seems kind of strange.  Why take it to that level?  That's like a 5'4" man that can't jump turning something into a slam-dunk contest.  

Canoer, I have no idea what you're talking about.  I don't really read that forum much, because it doesn't work with my browser well (Opera), but I'm pretty sure you're making it up, since the admins on that board were the ones that concluded the performance of the Recoil was relatively poor, and even offered to prove it by paying for a unit to be shipped to them.  And since I never claimed to be an expert, and I'm not in conflict with their beliefs, I'd be forced to conclude you're wrong.  I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 9:05pm
Although I am not an advocate of Mr Valentine's retro portable extractor, called the Recoil, I can respect his passion and emotionalism that he has expressed here today. While his anger is evident, lets not jump to conclusions and identify this as just another internet meltdown. I honestly think he believes in his Recoil, in the context that he wants it to establish itself at the top of the industry. However, deep down inside, he knows of its flaws and is stressed out over these issues becoming common industry knowledge.

I believe that he wants to improve the machine. Anybody can see his competitive nature and that is a good thing. However, it is very expensive to do a complete overhaul of his present design and as frustrating as this must be to Mr Valentine, it is beyond his financial means. So what can he do? This is a common struggle in business. Most businesses need more money to improve but how is that possible in such an economy and no doubt, Cross America has suffered some sales woes since the tmforum shootout. Since that time, Locko has critized the Recoil even more when its lack of vacuum power yielded him in a nightmare on a commercial job. Why didn't Locko consider Mr Valentine's sensitive situation before publicizing this information? Well, the cat is out of the bag now and I can understand Ed's frustration and fruitless anger. This sort of bad press has hurt Mr Valentine and despite being called an "idiot" by the angry man, I feel sympathy for him. He is in a tough situation.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 9:15pm

Let's hold his hand and point him back to TMF which for him is a sandbox called Too Much Fun.  He knows nothing about carpet cleaning, little about the equipment used, nothing about the engineering of the equipment and chemicals, and probably resents the fact that he was sold down the river into some overpriced gas guzzling gross polluter he thinks does a better job at cleaning carpet than the top rated portable.  And he actually talks like his Mytee is on par with Cross-American?  Someone should check for an exhaust leak in his boat anchor of a rig.

Make up your mind. Do I have a Mytee or a "gas guzzler"? When I see a porty user crying like a b1tch like this, it is an obvious sign of jealousy. Portables can do a good carpet cleaning job in many situations but they are undoubtedly lacking the cleaning power of a mid to high level truckmount. That is a fact and it seems to be something that you are having trouble coming to terms with. Don't get angry at me because of it. I actually have some portables as well as truckmounts and I like using a portable. I understand that when I use one, I have to overcome the deficiencies in comparison to a tm.

By the way, Mytee builds a far superior portable to the Recoil and that is a fact also. I am not being negative and like I said in an earlier post, I am willing to help Mr Ed build a better portable and my only request for payment would be to receive a free one once it is completed. I don't think that is asking too much and I know exactly where the machine needs to be improved (lots of areas for sure). Some of the changes would not even be expensive. Of course, the most challenging problem is the weakness of the body. However, lots of other issues can me improved for not that much money and I would be willing to help him in this cause.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 9:26pm

It's nice you have sympathy for the man, but what about Locko?  He was compromised by the sub-standard performance of this machine, and not for the first time.  That's a really lousy feeling to be stuck in, especially by a machine that's so expensive.

Also, I've given him a good solution for his problems, but instead of looking into it, he gets defensive and angry.

No doubt his sales are tanking based on his responses here.  Happy people don't throw tantrums like this, so he's obviously stressed out.  But, that doesn't give him an excuse to be so dreadfully ugly in his posts.  His temper tantrums are downright effeminate.

I don't want to see him go out of business, but unless he can realize what a weak product he's got, and then work to improve it, he's going to be in big trouble.  This is the internet age, and he's still trying to use disinformation and obfuscation to keep people off-balance, and hide the inherent inferiority of what he's selling.  

He's got to be more honest and open, or he'll keep going down.  He might be too old (maybe even a dotard) to turn this ship around in time.  If so, he's got to turn the company over to someone more competent and forward thinking, who won't reminisce about older days, and instead make improvements.

Disinformation and a very loyal customer base are both valuable assets in his situation, but it's dangerous to rely on them completely.  You need a good product too.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 9:33pm

You have a point about Locko. I think he wrote that post on the evening that he returned home from that business fiasco, a woozy and beaten man. I don't think I have ever seen a man so angry at a machine before...LOL. Apparently he left the carpet soaked and felt horribly about it.

I agree that Mr Ed V gets very angry and that sort of thinking is not conducive to improvement. I can also understand his financial struggles getting in the way of improvement but I think the machine can be improved in many areas at a low cost, if he would only become receptive to those who are trying to help him. After all, we are all in this business together and there is no need for such in-fighting.

You might also have a point about his age becoming an obstacle. Older people tend to be very stubborn and he has certainly showed signs of this. Some of my older customers refuse to get a computer and use the internet, if you can believe that.

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 11:33pm
Now about your girl, you got me there.  I AM JEALOUS.Evil Grin

-------------

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 11:42pm
Somebody invite the truckmount whores TA and Grut to go back to their board where they are welcome and stay off this one where trouble makers are made into body bag fillings.  Their objective is quite clear and their origins are known by everyone here.  And from this point forward we agree to ignore any thread they feel compelled to add a useless post.

It seems it is not only Ed they target, the success of this board globally has hit the TMF pretty hard right where it counts --- in the pocketbook.  Boo Hoo for them.Baby

-------------

Date Posted: 30/August/2010 at 11:57pm
One last thing, to make negative claims about a company's product including the action of repeating unsubstantiated claims is slander and if it can be proven to be detrimental to the subject of these claims then legal action including the involuntary satisfaction of the lawsuit plus legal expenses can be executed.  If Ed's lawyers choose to do so, they could go after both of these freaks but they could also sue this board for its role in permitting the slander and that is a fact.  To the two freaks from Too Many Freaks I say I suggest you seek legal advice.  To Ed I can only suggest you have your lawyers consider cease and desist court orders with a demand that all relative posts be deleted immediately.

We can all be friendly here but the bottom line is BUSINESS IS BUSINESS.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 8:42am
Here's how creditable so called: "Tank" is Gentlemen:

"I do not clean carpets professionally, So, I wasn't duping anyone (I never said I had a business, and always said I didn't know that much about carpet cleaning)."

This guy sure is a real authority (LOL!) in our business isn't he! It appears now that everyone knows his cover.  His only proven purpose is to cause upheaval and discredit others. He always tells the truth even if he has to lie to do it!

But, then again, this character with all his positive-negative energy and talent can't be all that bad either. Because anyone who hates kids and dogs can't be all that bad, right?

I suggest that you rejoin your lapdogs on those two other boards because I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

Finally, you are very correct, Soil Lint Green, in regards to posting that BS on the boards by these irresponsible terrorists. We have a couple of very interesting things we are addressing at the moment because there IS repercussions for this. We will probably witness a couple of these guys crying like babies. Just waiting for a couple other "specifics" that guys like (alias) Rich Tank are moving toward. But, you are right, I hope they do not destroy this neat board!

Anyways, there are many many more GREAT Individuals in our Industry that would make all of us proud who relly over-shadow these few idiots.
Very best to all above;
Ed Valentine 

Posted By: Ken Harris
Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 1:40pm
My Opinion?

If a seller of equipment had to start a lawsuit everytime somebody took a shot at how well it worked, they would not have any time to make any or sell any to those that do want to buy them! I have been through this for years now. Eventually the critics go away and find better things to do with their time.Everyone is entitled to their opinion; even when they are wrong.

This too shall pass.

-------------
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!

Posted By: CleanImage
Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 2:48pm
Good post Ken.

-------------
Phillip Newell
www.cleanimagemarketing.com
www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 5:40pm
LOL. What a couple of dorks MrEd and his "Lawdog Lint" are.  What kind of moron would try to suggest that there are grounds for a lawsuit based on what has been said in this thread? Are you some mountain drifter who is out of touch with the real world?

Mr Ed V, I have tried to be friendly and even helpful, albeit honest about your Recoil machine but you have continued to rant and rave like a teenager. I realize that the walls are crashing in on the image of the Recoil but that is because the truth is finally coming out and you will need to refine and develop it so that it is improved. Stop crying like a ranting lunatic and fix the damn machine and these nightmares will stop following you. Either that, or retire and let a progressive thinker fix the machine.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 7:59pm

Ed,

Another temper tantrum from the effeminate junk maker?  

I've tried to stay at least cordial, but it's not too hard to throw insults as someone with a sub-normal IQ, that can't answer a question directly.

Unlike you, I don't lie.  I don't have a carpet cleaning business, but that's not to say I don't clean carpets, and have never been working in it.  In fact, I own rental properties, and I do the carpets myself, and have relatives in the industry, who do own businesses.  So, my interest is real, and it's only about finding the best equipment.

Your motives are much less honorable.  You talk in nonsense, and generalities.  I made allowances for the fact you're a simpleton with roughly the mental processes of a bright German Shepherd, but that doesn't fully explain your unwillingness to answer questions, and talk without acrimonious replies.  You clearly show you aren't about meaningful discussion and dissemination of information.  It's all about sales for you, and since you lack a decent product (I do like your booster, but I am referring to the Recoil), you have to play these silly games and hope no one figures it out.

But, Ed, your machine was weighed and measured and found wanting.  It wasn't by me.  It had slightly less power than a machine that could be bought for less than $1500, which also had a more solid body.  When people said the machine was flawed, the forum owner offered to pay for another to be sent to him for testing.  You never did that, huh, Ed?  Why not?  Also, flaw after flaw was pointed out.  Again, not by me.  

So, man up and send a machine.  I know this goes against your penchant for dissembling and evading, but, really, why not end the argument?  I can answer that - because it would end with you losing.  

But, now post on about how you've been in business, or someone somewhere has an agenda, or someone is working for someone else.  You just sound like a dotard.  I'm asking you to accept a challenge to have your machine measured.  How does that equate to your tirades from your tantrums?  I'm not asking for anything unreasonable.  You're acting unreasonably.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 8:06pm

Ken,

This fool is attempting to actually scare us, so we won't say what we think.  It's always funny to have this type of person try manipulation, because it just makes them look silly.

But, more to the point, why don't you tell us what you think of the Recoil.  I already know this answer to this, but maybe other people would be curious.  Be honest and let us know, if you don't mind. 

Do you think the numbers TMF came with were out of line?

What do you think of Ed's, or any other Recoil owner's, unwillingness to send another, free of charge to be measured?

What do you think of the body construction of the Recoil?  

What about his selection of vac motors?  How about the booster?  What's your feeling about what effect this has on lift?  

I wouldn't dare ask Ed all these questions, because he doesn't like to answer meaningful ones, but I know from talking to you, you are never afraid of questions, and like it when people challenge something you said.  But, then, you're much more confident.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by TA152H TA152H wrote:

I made allowances for the fact you're a simpleton with roughly the mental processes of a bright German Shepherd, but that doesn't fully explain your unwillingness to answer questions, and talk without acrimonious replies.  

Are you kidding me? As bright as a German Shepherd? A horse is a horse, of course...of course and nobody can talk to a horse, of course.....unless of course the horse is a horse named Mr Ed. LMAO!! He would give his left nut to be as smart as a Shepherd.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 8:16pm
For the record, none of this is going to matter once the release of the Hurricane Harris M5 takes place, with 4 internal vacs and the power that no other portable can match. I can see Mr Ed's 4 legs shaking already.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 8:17pm

It's not clear to me that he has one to give, based on his disposition.

There's one difference between Ed V. and Mr. Ed.  Mr. Ed spoke with his mouth.  Ed V seems to speak out the other end.

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 9:06pm

Ken,

This fool is attempting to actually scare us, so we won't say what we think.  It's always funny to have this type of person try manipulation, because it just makes them look silly.

But, more to the point, why don't you tell us what you think of the Recoil.  I already know this answer to this, but maybe other people would be curious.  Be honest and let us know, if you don't mind. 

Do you think the numbers TMF came with were out of line?

What do you think of Ed's, or any other Recoil owner's, unwillingness to send another, free of charge to be measured?

What do you think of the body construction of the Recoil?  

What about his selection of vac motors?  How about the booster?  What's your feeling about what effect this has on lift?  

I wouldn't dare ask Ed all these questions, because he doesn't like to answer meaningful ones, but I know from talking to you, you are never afraid of questions, and like it when people challenge something you said.  But, then, you're much more confident.

I like it when my critics find fault with my products. By pointing them out to me in private or public they are really doing me a favour, even if that was not their original intent.Any equipment can be improved and made better.Progress does not stop just because you are satisfied. I have known this for years.

In the case of the Recoil others have pointed out the need for improvement in a number of areas. I did not find these facts to be unfair at all or some kind of conspiracy to get Ed or his company. To the contrary I believe the effort was to sincerly improve the machine to the betterment of all owners and operators of it. If accepted in that light this is an excellant opportunity to improve the product and make it stronger. In so doing it can only improve both it's sales in the marketplace and it's position as an asset within it.

But that's just how I see it.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 10:20pm
The two characters have a single agenda.  They will be gone soon.  I have owned equipment from Mytee.  They don't make bigger and better machines with each new revolution.  What they make are bigger pieces of crap.

Mytee is a yugo compared to the cadillac a recoil is.  What I as a former owner of Mytee machines can attest to the only thing they suck is at being a good machine that doesn't break.  How many vacs or pumps they use is not the issue when they use cheap parts.  If you morons want to critique a machine or help with you 'valuable' input, then become a customer like the rest.  A PAYING customer has an opinion that matters, not someone who fits the description of "Opinions are like A$$H0Le$....everyone's got one and most stink."

Now, take your sorry a$$es back to Two Mutha Phuckas For Males.  You obviously have nothing to post that anyone here believes come from sincere real carpet cleaning experts.  But I'll just bet you are both the queens of TMF.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/August/2010 at 11:15pm
Good God, one of them is going to blow and it's even money.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 1:34am
Are you still here?  You must be young and stupid.

If anyone is going to blow I would say it's you with your buddy there.

-------------

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 2:02am
I agree, Mytee has a reputation as an inferior product which cannot hold a candle to the Ninja or Recoil.  It is the unit for the novice entering the cc biz.  A good jumping off unit if you don't have the money to do it right.  Everything they do is always done better by someone else with one exception, that being Rug Doctor.  I give them an E for Effort for at least competing though.  Maybe if they contracted out the manufacturing to a competitor of a somewhat superior standing and changed their name, they might be able to at least tie for first or second place. 

It would be better than seeing Mytee fade away into obscurity.  I have heard good things about their auto detailing units.  And they might make decent backup units for when you need a second unit for furniture cleaning while the carpets are being cleaned by your workhorse.  I keep on around and use it like a wetdry vac at times.  But I would not recommend a Mytee to anyone who wants to stay in this business, staking your company's reputation on one not blowing a pump or vac on the job.  The customer should not need flood protection for what damage a carpet cleaner's equipment can cause when it blows a pump or vac.

But, that is just my opinion.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Posted By: CleanImage
Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 9:10am
I never had a problem with my Mytee. Great machine, and built smart.

I also never had a problem with my Recoil.

Why don't we go clean carpet? If a machine works for you, great.

-------------
Phillip Newell
www.cleanimagemarketing.com
www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 9:58am
LOL Duck. You don't actually expect many people here to buy into that load do you? Let me guess; Mr Ed sent you out here to balance the criticism out between the Recoil and Mytee, making it a "wash", even if you had to create some baseless lies.

For the record, I don't own a Mytee but have based my opinion on seeing them inside and out and reading Ken Harris' assessments. He considers them to be the best made portables at the moment and if he is not a porty expert, I don't know who is.

I understand that Locko detests the Recoil but my opinion is not based solely on his. I believe that his personal hatred for the machine is also based on his recent experience, where it left a customer's carpet soaked to the bone. I was not there so I am not basing my opinion on his nightmare with the machine. I have seen videos of the Recoil inside and out and was quite shocked at the design problems it has. I like the fact that it is american made but unfortunately, designed by an ignorant, stubborn, ranting, angry lunatic.

It doesn't take extensive research to see the staggering flaws of the Recoil. It begins with the flimsy handle, bolted into the fresh water tank. The machine has vulnerabilities from the root to the fruit.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 11:31am
Grutzy, I believe I have 800 more posts on record than yourself.  No on here can send me out here for any reason.  I generally practice a hands off around here but you are involved in a limited number of threads either attacking Ed, the Recoil or those who have a view opposing your own. 

I am amazed by your attempts to establish credibility for yourself while at the same time tossing around opinions flavored with a staggered attempt at the use of adjectives regarding the subject of your attacks.

Perhaps you would like to show anyone who has not given up on this thread in particular exactly what you mean by purchasing a Recoil, modifying it yourself to your specifications of what makes a superior extractor and ship it to Ed for his review of the unit. 

Or are you a practicing arm chair quarterback in the game of equipment manufacturing?  The jury is out.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:24pm
Ducky, if Mr Ed wanted me to modify his portable to make it a better machine, I would be glad to do it, as long as there was some reward for me at the completion. The first things I would do is to eliminate some of the physical vulnerabilities of the machine, such as the flimsy handle, in favor of something mounted much higher and of stronger design. I would upgrade to 2" internal vac hoses and more modern, efficient and powerful vacuum motors. I would also eliminate the 2 stage booster, instead settting it up to run in series with one of the internal 3 stage vacs. This would eliminate the vulnerable exterior hose and give it some much needed lift. With his own external booster, one could regain the cfm that would be lost by eliminating the internal booster. If this is not a feasible modification, I would run the internal vacs in series and keep the booster as is and add his external booster for more cfm. I would remove the hard wired electrical wires for heavier gauge ones that only come out about 4' from the machine and have twist lock ends, with related 50' electric cords.

I would then modify the body so that it would be easy to gain access to the bottom section, without the use of screws. A quick lock and release mechanism would serve the purpose. I think the wheels are fine despite what Locko said about them.  I would add a rubber seal to the waste tank lid. I would change the side dump hole to be a more mechanical design for easier use. I would add a water pressure gauge. Ultimately, it could use thicker body panels for more strength but this would mean a complete overhaul (big $$).

For the record, I did not say I would purchase a Recoil but if Mr Ed V wanted me to set one up to be a much better machine, these are the things I would do.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:26pm

IMO part of the reason the Recoil comes under attack so much(yes not just by the couple of guys on this board) is because of the value for the money. When you charge $3195 for a portable people have higher expectations for it than when a machine costs around $2000. If a manufacturer is going to charge double this price for a machine not made any better they should expect a few knocks from the buying public. Offer products that offer exordinary value for the money and this will not be a problem.Smile

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 12:37pm

Ken, I think the Recoil comes under attack for several reasons. One is because of the bombastic buffoonery that goes on about the machine from Coil cult members. They proclaim that it is God's gift to portable carpet cleaning when this is obviously not true and this instigates a lot of negativity. Another reason that the Coil is the subject of so much negative attention is because of the way that Mr Ed presents himself, lashing out like a rabid animal every time the Recoil is criticized. First, the guy presents himself as a pure phony, pretending he is a nice, country fellow. Once there is some tension in the air, he whips his mane and bucks like a rabid mule, sprinkling out insults like a rice-heaving bride.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 1:46pm
I suppose what I do not understand is why Grutzy and Tank are never letting things die!
Ok you have made your point! Lets move on. Those who dissagree with you can definitely do very well without you and your continual critisism.

I can't believe that two people who are not part of this industry  know more about this subject  than the owner operators  or distributors or manufacturers.
It really seems like this is some sort of contest to see which one is the better
debater. You have nothing at stake here. All you do is use cutting remarks and
vague reasoning rather than truly explain with valid points why a Recoil 3XPS is
an inferior overpriced high performance portable. You do not answer why so
many choose the Recoil 3XPS over the others. I don't put down Mytee! I really
do  know some things about them but I would never just go on a forum and try to
discredit Mytee or their products or the CEO of Mytee.  I have read on their
own website what they have and I do know for the most part the components
they choose to use in their extractors.  So should I go on a rampage about a
competitor? No!   Their products are not immune from critics! Nobody is! But
you two have a purpose, a singular purpose when it comes to this subject!
So don't come back and say you do not have an agenda because we are not
so stupid so as not to see what you are up to.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 6:13pm
How assuming you are, alexander. I have probably been in this business for longer than you have and I do not have an agenda besides bringing reality into light when the BS begins to fly from the Coil Cult. They seem to bellow their nonsense from one forum to another and have become an internet nuisance, with the horsehead leading the way. They have gone so far on the truckmount forum that the owner of Mytee decided to leave and the owner of the forum considers them to be a relentless nuisance. 

I never said the "Recoil is an inferior, overpriced, high performance portable" simply because "high performance" is not the way I would describe a Recoil. At best, it is middle of the road in performance; at worst, a nightmare of a weakling that left Locko's business in legal jeopardy. However, it's problems are so much more extensive than disappointing performance and I laid them out clearly. If Mr Ed truly developed his machine into the best portable, I would be the first one to buy one and congratulate him. Instead, he is trying to haul out a rusty, old battleaxe of a mule and call it a thoroughbred. God forbid anybody asks Mr Ed, "You aren't really going to run that hobbling sow, are you?", he goes berserk as though it emerged from his womb.

I'll tell you what I don't like; the obvious way that he sends out his pawns from one forum to the next to hype up the thing. It's quite a corny and desperate attempt and I feel obligated to shut the nonsense down when I am present.

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 6:52pm
Grutzy I can see how you might resent my last post. You use the word cult.
Somebody wise once said if you don't like religon call them a  cult. It is easy and
requires no explanation!
Those who own Recoils are not following Ed Valentine. They have done business with
him.  As far as being in business longer than I have well I am not sure that is relevant
or true.
And whether your business activities are related to this industry. ?? 
You continue to bring up Locko's experience as something that is common with
Cross-American Recoils . I have owned  Recoils and I never once had any problems .
 I basically used one which I mounted in my van with auxillary tanks. I had hose reels and basically I was set up. I also used a 2HT propane heater. When I cleaned carpet with
my Recoil 3HP I had everything in place and all that I needed to an excellent job that
I took pride in.  . In now way was I disadvanged in my efforts to clean my customers carpets.  I had an effecient and
powerful system. The new second generation XPS not only has a more powerful
pump but also has more vacuum. So it is difficult to see how you could possibly
help me or Ed Valentine or anybody else in this industry. Of course it is not your
intention to help anyone on this forum but rather your purpose is to discredit
not only Ed Valentine but also his products , period.....
 I will quite responding to your posts when I feel it is the right time. I am nobodies
pawn! Whose pawn are you?

Date Posted: 01/September/2010 at 7:56pm
You said I was not a part of this industry, did you not? Whatever criticism I have given to Mr Ed, he had it coming after calling me a retard among other names. In fact, if you check the logs, you will see that it was Mr Ed who through the first stones.

So you put a Recoil in a van and some reels of hose in there. You can also place a King's crown on a frog and it is still a frog.

Date Posted: 02/September/2010 at 11:59am

Have you even seen the video which showed a Recoil 3XPS with a 2HT propane heater

sitting in a trailer while he was cleaning carpet inside a residence? It has Jim Morrow owner operator demonstrating that this can be and is being done all over the USA.
Even in Canada! They use it truckmounted in the UK.

Date Posted: 02/September/2010 at 7:01pm
You can run 500' of hose but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. In my opinion, the main advantage of using any portable is in the use of less vacuum hose. If you can get a portable up to 300 cfm (assuming it has good lift as well) or so and only use 50' of hose, it is close to what you get out of a mid sized truckmount that is running some 100' of hose. By leaving a portable in a trailer or a van, you are losing vacuum power. It is also better to have the portable at a lower height for optimum vac power. If it is elevated in a van or trailer, it has to pull the water upward.
You really need a 2 man crew with any carpet cleaning setup but especially with a portable. You are losing a lot of vac power if you leave it in a vehicle, regardless of which porty you are using. They do not have the power of a truckmount and you have to take advantage of their mobility in order to even out the playing field, so to speak.

Date Posted: 02/September/2010 at 8:48pm
No I never said it was as powerful as a gasoline powered truckmount.
As the video demonstrates and many of the portable users have seen the video,is that
it has plenty of vacuum ,pressure with flow, and especially in the case where they
use Jim Morrows setup it has plenty of hot cleaning solution. He has adapted a
2HT Little Giant heater to his setup. The video proves my point and disproves yours!
I doubt their is anyway to get you to admit that you are wrong even though
the facts demonstrate we have been telling the truth! You evidently have little
respect for Ed Valentine or Cross-American. That is fine there is room for all kinds
in this world. You really do not know him and are not open to any kind of relevant,
truthful discussion when it comes to the Recoil 3XPS. You are here to find fault
even though the overwhelming evidence says you are totally wrong.
You are an intellegent man but there are from my point of view people behind
you. Your job is to put doubt in the mind of potential Cross-American buyers.
I can not stop you from doing that. So go on and say whatever.

Good Bye

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 8:15am
Alexander, there aren't any people delegating me to write anything on this forum. I have expressed my opinion and have given precise criticisms toward that machine. The flaws are so staggeringly evident that I find it perplexing that you would debate it. I never said it doesn't run or is unusable. I merely said that it has several areas that need to be fixed and/or refined. As is the case with any portable, I don't advocate the practice of running it from a vehicle and I stated the reasons why.

Claiming that I am completely wrong is an indicator that there is somebody behind you because I believe that any impartial expert in the industry would agree with my criticisms of the machine. Let me present some of the questions for you and answer them if you will.

1. Do you think the rear handle is a good design, despite being flimsy and bolting into the water tank, below the water line?

2. Do you like the fact that the waste tank lid does not have a rubber seal to assure proper sealing?

3. Do you think that the top chambers should be fastened to the bottom half with screws?

4. Do you think it is a good idea for a modern portable to be missing a water pressure gauge? If so, how do you set accurate pressure levels when changing from carpet cleaning to upholstery cleaning?

5. Do you think the exterior booster hose is vulnerable? How do you feel about the restriction caused by the connecting ends in that system?

6. Why do you like the dump valve design that does not allow you to empty the tank fully, instead causing waste water to stagnate at the bottom of the machine?

7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?

8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?

9. Do you think the 14 gauge wires coming out the back are adequate? Do you like that they are not detachable?

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 8:21am
Having stated my criticisms toward the Recoil, I think it is only fair to make a list of the things that I like about the machine as well.

1. It is american made.

2. I like the color

3. I like the retro body shape, unlike many who only find it dated

4. It has 3 internal vacs and the manufacturer builds an external booster to go along with it, more than I can say for most portables

5. It has a good pump, rated at 500 psi

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 11:14am
G-rut-zy;
It is apparent that you do not know what you are talking about spreading your continual nonsense. But, then again, you are hiding behind a great name. I didn't realize that the RECOIL-XPS system was the measuring stick in this Industry and that bothers you so much.
Better have that other company increase your commissions and/or change your adgenda because that's Mighty Bad(!!).

Anyways, this should make your day once again--- here's another "disappointed customer":

Posted by LanceC mailto:CNYLance@aol.com">Email User on 9/3/2010, 8:35 am

The Trashed out apt. Insurance guy called me up the next morning (yesterday) after viewing the job I did and called me up. After Busting my chops and saying there was a big hole in the middle of the room, he said,

"Lance, Holy #&*@! The Carpet looks Brand New! I can't believe it!"
He was thrilled with the job!

It was a Berber type carpet

The Recoil 3 XPS performed like a CHAMP on the second floor Trashed out apt with 100 ft. of Hose.

I am so glad I chose this Machine!

A Special thanks to Ed V., Charles, Marc and EVERYONE Else that has offered me so much great advice, education and motivation to pursue this business. I am humbled by your knowledge.

Lance Comfort
Comfort Cleans It
From "Upstate NY
"

G-rut-zy, have a great and wonderful weekend! We'll send you some asperin.

The very best;
Ed Valentine

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 12:08pm
LOL. Mr Ed, your methods never change. You post some hickery d1ckery dock nonsensical, obviously fabricated testimonial, marked with spelling and grammatical errors just to remind people that we are dealing with a simple man. We get it but there is a plethora of members here who are not buying into your elementary methods. You see, some of us have been around the block and a few of us have even gathered a college education. Backyard, hillbilly methods just won't pave the path for you when confronted with such opposition. You see, you are going to have to fight your way out of this with reality and improve that machine of yours. No nursery or barnyard methods are going to do the trick, Mr Ed.

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 12:48pm
Alex,
     Ed Valentine "ain't" going nowhere Cry! Out of stock on many items due to so much publicity. He should be thanking you !Clap

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 12:52pm
There is no such thing as bad publicity!

-------------

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 9:01pm

Mr. Ed,

Good job in coming out with yet another anecdotal quote!  That's so convincing!  It's so unheard of from you (I'm psychic, that's why I predicted it in an earlier post, it's not that you're simple or predictable).

And to the idiot that suggest that someone that hates the Recoil should buy it - please don't breed.  Let's see, I don't like sardines, but I think I'll go buy some.  Like $2700 worth.  What rocks do they find you clowns from under.

Oh, and Alexander, the reason we post is because other people keep posting.  You guys just don't stop, and attempt to dominate a forum that way.  I respect your tenacity, but, sadly, you're backing a losing argument, so you lose anyway.  

Just look at your fearless leader.  He actually thinks anecdotes (which can be made up, and even if they aren't are meaningless) are substantial and important data.  I could find 100 people that love a Hoover Steamvac, and go on about it, but it's worthless.  This is how you know Mr. Ed has no argument.  

This stuff about Mytee is too vague to be useful.  What parts are cheap?  The body is much better made, that's for sure.  Ed uses substandard materials that flex badly and, at least in two documented cases cracked and/or had a hole.  Ed uses a superior pump, that's for sure, but then uses inferior power lines, etc...  I heard a few people complain the Mytee electrical system is horrid, though, but who knows how true that is.  It's not something provable or not, but, maybe someone who's knowledgeable can open one up and see if they use inferior electrical wiring, or such.  

The flaws with the Recoil are very well known, and have been pointed out beyond a shadow of the doubt.  The Mytee machines are criticized with vague remarks and anecdotes.  Neither are convincing.  I hope those critical of the machine will open it up and point out where all the problems are, so we can really know it's not just made up nonsense.

I will say this - I looked at the Air Hog, and it looks pretty worthless.  It's nice that it's portable and all, and can be used a standalone unit, or as a booster, but that's where it ends.  It has no pump!  So, you have to buy a Water Hog unless you want to use faucet pressure.  So, what's the point of this???  As a booster, it can only be used in parallel!  So, for all the folks who have portables with vacs in series,  you get to lose lift.  Oh joy!  Also, it's got two vac lines in the back, but when I looked at the manual, the top one is always closed.  Maybe I read it wrong, but I can't figure out why you'd put that in, if you always were going to close it.  And then, you hook up the water pressure cable from the main portable, to the booster, to the wand.  Why?  It doesn't boost the water pressure, since it doesn't have a pump.  It adds setup time.  Yay!  This product truly sucks, and this was the "booster" everyone was waiting for.  It fails as a booster, since it's overly complex (setup takes too long) and can't be used in series, and fails as a small portable because it has no pump.  It's expensive too.  What were they thinking????

I don't know why Ed is the only one that realizes it's important to make an inline booster be able to work in series or parallel.  If you've got a portable with motors in series, you don't want to create a hole, and if you've got a portable with parallel vacs, you might need the extra lift for certain situations.  But, nope, just keep making them parallel only and hope no one knows the difference.  For $900, the Air Hog should do both, and have a 100 PSI pump so you can use it well for small jobs and upholstery, without having to set up the Water Hog too.   

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 9:13pm

Ken,

When will your 4-vac machine be available?  

Also, when looking at vac motors, what opening size would you say is the most relevant for most carpet jobs?  I realize that it's not a simple answer, and would depend on situations, but what range is the most meaningful.

Sadly, most people go by the maximum CFM (with 2 inch opening) and Lift (no air movement), which I am finding is not the whole answer, and do not directly correspond to air watts, since air watts peak somewhere in between these two.  For most carpets, which diameter opening do you think is most relevant when looking at vac motors?  

The reason I mention this is, I was looking at the 116765-OD to replace my 116765-13s, and although the maximum values are not hugely difference, the "powerband" is very different, with much stronger values at the 1.5 inch to .5 inch range.  I can't find what the so-called LMB2A is, since no Ametek vacs seem to match the spec that Larry Cobb and Mytee use, so I'm skeptical about the numbers being posted for it.  Maybe you can give some information on that, too.

Thanks.

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 10:26pm
The Mytee Wart Hog or whatever they call it is useful if you are running a bit of extra hose and need a solution for the problem. By simply adding the booster inline, you restore full vacuum power. It is not useful in many ways but serves this single purpose well from what I can tell. I am definitely going to get one. I have not had a good look at the CA booster so I can't say if it is good or not.

It's comical how Mr Ed brings out the same, old BS that got his a$$ kicked before as if there is some other fate awaiting him this time around. The poor, old coot takes a hell of a beating time and again. I just hope we don't go to hell for kicking the sh1t out of him like this. I'd go as far as to say that he couldn't win a debate in the mirror.

Date Posted: 03/September/2010 at 11:20pm

There are a number of cheaper choices that do that, and in some cases, you'll lose lift.

My portable is 2 3-stages in series.  If I use this "booster", I lose lift.  So, it's not restoring full vacuum power, it's trading off CFM for lift.  When Locko was complaining about the lack of lift of the Recoil, compared to his Eclipse, if he had a booster that only boosts CFM, well, he's out of luck.  The M5 shouldn't have much lift either, so, if you need more, Ed's will do the trick, the Mytee Air Hog will not.  

Here's my question, if you're going to pay $900 for a booster, wouldn't you rather have one that can be used in series and in parallel?  The Mytee is supposed to double as a standalone, but realistically, without a pump, this is of very limited utility.  If you need to add a Water Hog for it to work, it's not so portable anymore, and not so quick.

That's the only thing it does the CA doesn't, and it's not useful.  Being able to work in parallel, or series, makes the product not only useful with more portables, but also in more situations.  For the same price, I don't think the Mytee is nearly as useful.  Of course, if he added a small pump, and gave this that advantage, then you'd have a more difficult choice.  Hopefully, Ed or Mytee will make one that can be used as a standalone (with a real pump) for small jobs, or upholstery, and be able to use it in series and parallel.  I think this type of unit would sell like crazy, as you'd have many reasons to buy it, and would become seemingly indispensable after getting used to having it.  

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 11:42am
Those two who came over here from TMF just to stir up things have no credibility here.  Hell, they don't even have profiles of any kind. 

In the past two days while you two were making fools of yourself I made $3000 off Bonnet Cleaning with of all things REPEAT customers.  One van, one man, and I am enjoying my 3 day holiday weekend.

Talk $h!+ and I will read it on Tuesday if I am not booked to the hilt again.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 12:07pm

Those two who came over here from TMF just to stir up things have no credibility here.  Hell, they don't even have profiles of any kind. 

In the past two days while you two were making fools of yourself I made $3000 off Bonnet Cleaning with of all things REPEAT customers.  One van, one man, and I am enjoying my 3 day holiday weekend.

Talk $h!+ and I will read it on Tuesday if I am not booked to the hilt again.
LOL.....what a dork.

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 2:22pm

Do you all want me to go away? I personally didn't come here to stir

things up. So I think I have said all I need to about the subject previously
discussed. I don't want to debate or answer a lot of questions that I have already
answered before. Don't get me wrong I am happy to relate facts and opinions that are valid in my expertise. I believe this is a very nice forum and I would like to read more opinions from people I do not know yet.

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by alexanderS alexanderS wrote:

Do you all want me to go away? I personally didn't come here to stir

things up. So I think I have said all I need to about the subject previously
discussed. I don't want to debate or answer a lot of questions that I have already
answered before. Don't get me wrong I am happy to relate facts and opinions that are valid in my expertise. I believe this is a very nice forum and I would like to read more opinions from people I do not know yet.

No Jan, You know you should stay! This is one of the best forums on
the planet.Big smile

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 5:13pm

Have you been sniffing glue, or are you naturally that stupid?  

What's any of this got to do with bonnet cleaning?  I thought we were talking about the virtues, or lack thereof, of the Recoil XPS.  You use this with your bonnet cleaning?

The sign of a weak argument is when you make it about the messenger, and not the message.  All the cons of the machine have been detailed and listed, but you don't really touch those, and neither does Ed.  You guys try to make it about people, which is much more subjective.  

I did notice yesterday Ed does have something close to the booster I thought was ideal.  It doubles as a portable, and has a 100 PSI pump.  All good.  But, he just misses because it's only set up to boost CFM, at least according to his website.  

If this could be used in series like his pure booster, this thing would be an extremely attractive product.  It's still not bad, by any means, and neither is his pure booster, but it would be perfect if you could get it all.  I don't know why he removed that feature when going from the booster to the booster/small portable, but I hope he finds a way to add it back.

Date Posted: 04/September/2010 at 5:47pm
LOL, that's the same "Jan" from tm forum that has been peddling Recoil propoganda for Mr Ed like a disturbed zombie? It's hilarious how his brain-washed pawns stumble from forum to forum, all just to hype up the Coil. I have to admit one thing; the Coil cult is a tightly knit group. Their dedication damn near brings a tear to my eye.

I'm laughing so hard right now that I have to stop writing.

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 1:25pm
Grutzy or "Alex" ? Have I seen that name on the TMF before? You joined this forum 
just last month! I am laughing so hard right now that i have to stop writing.
No I really don't find it funny rather it is sort of sad and pathetic!

Just for the record I have never attempted to hide my identity. It is on my profile
for anyone to see . My oldest son's middle name is Alexander so I thought I would
use that handle on this forum . AlexanderS. 

Thank you John L. I do think I will stay and paricipate because your right this is a
one of the better forums!

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by alexanderS alexanderS wrote:

Grutzy or "Alex" ? Have I seen that name on the TMF before? You joined this forum 
just last month! I am laughing so hard right now that i have to stop writing.
No I really don't find it funny rather it is sort of sad and pathetic!

Thank you John L. I do think I will stay and paricipate because your right this is a
one of the better forums!
Poor Jan, stuck trying to sell that lemon in the parking lot, pretending it's a classic Mercedes when it's really only in the class of a Pinto. LMAO!!

By the way, you have me confused with somebody else but I guess names are confusing for you, being a man with a girly name.

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 8:37pm
I believe the last time I was teased about my name was in the 8th grade! What
is the matter with you? Is that all you can say? You are not getting anywhere
on this forum or any other. There is no secret to my identity! I am not hiding my
identity . You are! 

TA152H . Actually the new Power Booster from Cross-American can be hooked up
in series if one wishes to do that. It is very easy to do. Basically there is a 3 inch access 
that takes a minute to remove then you attach a hose from the vacuum inlet to the
exhaust of any kind of portable. 137 " H2O Lift. This could be beneficial for someone
needing to do flood work. Especially if it is down in a basement. Perhaps in some situations it is more beneficial to get more lift that more CFM. So the CA Booster
is both for inline and in series!

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 9:22pm
It has already been proven Grutzy is Alex, Jan once again is right.

-------------

Posted By: grimel
Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 10:44pm

Cross America has suffered some sales woes since the tmforum shootout. Since that time, Locko has critized the Recoil even more when its lack of vacuum power yielded him in a nightmare on a commercial job. Why didn't Locko consider Mr Valentine's sensitive situation before publicizing this information? 

If you've followed Mr Cobb's posts on TMF regarding how CFM/lift are related, what is needed, and what the entry/mid level TM's have you'd know Locko's review wasn't much from an engineering stand point.  I'm sure you didn't notice that a critical reply to a Locko post was deleted because it exposed the LACK of engineering knowledge of the reviewers AND the LACK of vacuum knowledge AND the LACK of understanding of HOW and WHY water moves through a hose.  Even a freshman design course teaches MORE isn't the answer to most questions.  Sorry, but, if you can't build a portable that runs on 2 cords AND allows 100'+ hose runs you don't know enough to try an comment on what anyone else is doing.

IOW, you have at best an inquisitive energetic novice (ever notice how he's "improved" many portables only to have problems later?) trying to tell a long term successful builder of a 150' hose run capable portable how to "fix" his design.

Finally, some people seem to have a very hard time understanding you don't build for optimum conditions.  You build for the least optimal conditions.  That ensures you have a long uptime.  Uptime makes money.  The time savings of a more powerful portable isn't nearly as money making as people want to believe.  It is a relationship between uptime, repair costs, and speed.  Get on a high security lock-in job and have your porty go down.  You just lost a $5000 one day contract and have little chance to ever get it back.

-------------
When all else fails, read the directions

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 10:48pm

You have a point about Locko. I think he wrote that post on the evening that he returned home from that business fiasco, a woozy and beaten man. I don't think I have ever seen a man so angry at a machine before...LOL. Apparently he left the carpet soaked and felt horribly about it.

You do realize the real problem was Locko left an untrained tech who couldn't prime the porty they started using?  IOW, Locko was (again) let down by LOCKO.  Had he trained his tech properly, the original porty would have stayed in use and he wouldn't have had a problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/September/2010 at 11:03pm

Hopefully, Ed or Mytee will make one that can be used as a standalone (with a real pump) for small jobs, or upholstery, and be able to use it in series and parallel.  I think this type of unit would sell like crazy, as you'd have many reasons to buy it, and would become seemingly indispensable after getting used to having it.  

I believe that is Ed's KS-8.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:06am

"Prime the Porty"? What are you referring to? He had problems with weak vacuum power not being able to extract water from the carpet. While Locko is not the expert that some think he is, he certainly has enough common sense to ascertain whether or not his machine is overwetting the carpet.

Let me also include that my strongest criticisms for the Recoil are not performance related but are instead more in the direction of poor design and lack of refinement. I provided a list earlier with my grievances with the machine and I doubt that any impartial subject would disagree with any of them.

I think if Locko had his machine running well and had one of CA's boosters on there, he would have been fine. I agree that the Recoil needs to upgrade their internal hoses to 2" and refine the booster hose setup so that it is less restrictive. However, I think it needs improvement in other areas that are abundant and equally important.

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:21am

"Prime the Porty"? What are you referring to? He had problems with weak vacuum power not being able to extract water from the carpet. While Locko is not the expert that some think he is, he certainly has enough common sense to ascertain whether or not his machine is overwetting the carpet.

Go back and READ his post and follow up posts.  His newish techs that HE trained didn't know how to prime the pump on the porty they started using.  His solution wasn't to take a minute to try it himself to see if it was a quick fix or other issue.  His solution was to have them tear down the initial portable and set up the Recoil that was known to have some unsolved issues.

These (for practical purposes) untrained techs could have done an adequate job with the broken Recoil, but, they had (apparently) never been taught how to slow down to compensate for a crippled machine.  Sometimes, a crippled machine is your only option so you might want to consider teaching a tech to check the carpet and keep doing dry passes until it's sufficiently dry.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 8:43am

1. Do you think the rear handle is a good design, despite being flimsy and bolting into the water tank, below the water line?

Not the greatest, but, it isn't designed to be dragged up flights of stairs.

2. Do you like the fact that the waste tank lid does not have a rubber seal to assure proper sealing?

What doesn't have a rubber seal?  What it doesn't have is a locking seal, thus, you have to put the lid on properly for the machine to seal itself.

Quote 3. Do you think that the top chambers should be fastened to the bottom half with screws?

How would you attach the top to the bottom?   Screws, bolts, quick release latches all have good and bad points.  The designer has to decide what fits his goal better.  If you don't expect to be inside the  machine constantly fixing stuff screws are probably the best option.

Quote 4. Do you think it is a good idea for a modern portable to be missing a water pressure gauge? If so, how do you set accurate pressure levels when changing from carpet cleaning to upholstery cleaning?

Considering the accuracy and lack of calibration of gauges, I'd say it doesn't matter the tech should be watching and adjusting as he goes.

Quote 5. Do you think the exterior booster hose is vulnerable? How do you feel about the restriction caused by the connecting ends in that system?

Nothing is perfect.  I wouldn't expect to be moving a portable that allowed 100' and more hose runs very much.

Quote 6. Why do you like the dump valve design that does not allow you to empty the tank fully, instead causing waste water to stagnate at the bottom of the machine?

It would do a good job keeping the crud at the bottom from settling in your dump valve causing a leak.  I'd prefer a different style closure on the other drain.

Quote 7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?

Again, more isn't always better.  Stiff doesn't make for better.  Stiff generally makes for a more brittle product.  Back to the basic design class.

Quote 8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?

Do you recall reading about efficiency and balance?  One of those points where those doing the review didn't know enough to understand WHY their "improvement" would be a step backwards.  I'd assume (since I don't have a Recoil to check the vac's) Ed decided to use 1.5" because it was the most efficient (read most power for the amperage) size for that motor.

Quote 9. Do you think the 14 gauge wires coming out the back are adequate? Do you like that they are not detachable?

Yes, 14 ga is adequate; I'd prefer 12 ga, but, 16 ga would do if the cords are 25ft or less.  The biggest concern is quality of the insulation.  If you followed the link Locko posted on wire runs you'd know what is needed.  Well, if you know how to run the formula AND understand how to figure the base line AND realize the runs for a 12 vold DC system aren't the same as 120v AC systems (back to the poster not knowing what he doesn't know).  The Recoil is a 15 amp machine.  I can make the case for attached and detachable.  I've had both and cussed both.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 9:30am
 Great Post !!
   My Recoil has never left the trailer.
     KISS- put the lid on properly
3. Do you think that the top chambers should be fastened to the bottom half with screws?
  Yes-again KISS
4. Do you think it is a good idea for a modern portable to be missing a water pressure gauge? If so, how do you set accurate pressure levels when changing from carpet cleaning to upholstery cleaning?
   Yes-Gauges are always the first to go ,Return spring will break and gauge will need replaced. I set my external gauge according to carpet conditions then remove from machine.
5. Do you think the exterior booster hose is vulnerable? How do you feel about the restriction caused by the connecting ends in that system?
  Again,have had no need to remove unit from trailer. Only Locko and his cameraman would whine about this.! Jamie was pressured IMOP during this video, listen to the --- in the background .Locko answered with a lot of maybes-I guess so etc.
6. Why do you like the dump valve design that does not allow you to empty the tank fully, instead causing waste water to stagnate at the bottom of the machine?
  What Grimel said and I use a shop vac at end of day to clean recovery tank. Water is left in tank to trap any lint etc.
7. Do you feel that the body panels are too thin and flex under vacuum? Have you ever compared the body panel strength of the Recoil to that of a Mytee machine? If so, do you not recognize a difference?
  What Grimel said . Tanks are designed to work with the vacuum motors.
8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?
 What Grimel said  AIRSPEED !
9. Do you think the 14 gauge wires coming out the back are adequate? Do you like that they are not detachable?
   Can't say it any better than Grimel
  These modular designed machines are built with most parts readily available to user not having to order thru distributor. Less downtime.  KISS

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by canoer5222 canoer5222 wrote:

What Grimel said . Tanks are designed to work with the vacuum motors.

What I said was less flex doesn't make it better.  Nothing to do with the vac motors Ed chose to use.  I wouldn't use an overly thick tank for any vac motors.

What shatters first a thick piece of plastic or a thin piece?  The thin piece will flex and bend.  The thick piece won't flex until it shatters usually without much warning.

Which do you want in your portable inside someone's house?

Quote 8. Do you think that it is a good idea that the internal vacs use 1.5" hoses rather than 2" hoses or do you think Mr Ed merely opted to use these hoses because they are sold at Lowe's?
 What Grimel said  AIRSPEED !

Not airspeed, as Mr Cobb (he is sooo nice about correcting concepts even when those being corrected miss it) puts it so often it's air watts.  Lift and flow are opposites.  If one increases the other decreases.  The key to it is finding the balance point where you get the greatest efficiency.  That point is usually somewhere in the middle.  If you wanted to make it slightly more efficient and more complicated with more leak points you could run a 2" hose from the tank to a reducer right at the vac motor.  But, that's staining at gnats for no real gain.

There is IMO much more to building a good portable than just adding more vac motors and cords.  Some stuff is looks most is function.  The problem being those that don't understand function will be persuaded by looks.  The Recoil doesn't look modern.   Personally, as long as it doesn't look like it's falling apart I don't care what it looks like.

Get your 10-11" Hg at the wand and the most CFM you can without tripping breakers.  Where I live, anything pushing 15amp will pop breakers unless you stay in new homes.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 11:09am
  Right ! Airwatts not airspeed .Me bad
[There is IMO much more to building a good portable than just adding more vac motors and cords]
     Many are pushing the limits of the tank thickness for what it is designed for when replacing Vacuum motors and not just on the Recoil. The motors Ed chose are very reliable with adequate performance and matched well with his system. No recalls (Mytees booster),electrcal mishaps (Mytee) bad customer service (ditto) etc..
   I personally would not making any changes without consulting Cross-American.

Date Posted: 06/September/2010 at 12:36pm
LOL. Some of your rationalizations for the poor design are borderline hilarious. You don't expect me to believe that hogwash, do you?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net