Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Starting out advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimmeagig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 8:06pm
So I'm looking at the possibility of buying a 1998 Dodge 3/4 ton 88000 mi with a hydramaster CDS 4.8 directdrive built in 1999 with 5100 hrs. The truck looks very clean and it comes with hoses and wands and all that.
The price is 11500.- I talked to the seller extensively and I like him.I get a feeling that he is a trustworthy person.I could pay cash on that and have no payments.The seller says that the truck has about 200000.- miles figuring in the 5100 hrs of operating time of the machine.Those miles are easy miles and do only involve the engine of the truck.So I figure even if I have to have the engine of the truck rebuilt (2800.- maybe?) I would still have gotten a good deal.
Does that sound OK?
Any advicce on that one?    
Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 8:50pm
The hours are high if the unit has original pump, blower and hx

The STD Meter
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 8:53pm
 DeadThat's alooooot of hours.................Buy New...You'll be glad you did.......................Big smile
gimmeagig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimmeagig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 10:42pm
Hi,
I've got new information.
I talked to a TM shop in nearby Spokane and they told me they wouldn't recomment that particular setup.They said most cleaners prefer slideins over directdrives.
They said that an older CDS 4.8(1999) does not produce the heat that good a slidein puts out(190 at the machine vs 220 or more with the slidein) and an hour of running time for the machine equals 50 miles.That gives the truck very high mileage.
For a good used machine they recommend a Prochem Performer.They told me that's a highly desirable workhorse that can last 12000 hrs and up.
They have one with 8000 hrs and it comes with some stuff like hoses and wands.The price is 7500.- plus 350.- to install it.so if I could find a van for 4000.- to 5500.-I might have an OK setup?
Would that be a better way to go?
Thanks
Ninja-wand View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninja-wand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 11:22pm
I dont have any experience with a prochem performer.If you want reliability...Then Direct drive would be better compared to a slidein. THe only thing good about a slideIn is that you can change it out into a new truck whenever you want. I also hear that you would run into more problems with SlideIn's.

It also sounds like this guy is just tryin to sell you one of his unit...

Go to www.mikeysboard.com ....Alot of smart guys hang out over there.YOu can get better opinions than I can give you.

I'll make you TAP OUT!!!
pilediver View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 11:41pm
gimmeagig, thats a lot of hours on a slide in no matter what brand it is. Take a look at http://butlersystem.com/pr_classifieds.php
also directly north of you in Alberta at this place http://www.fibreclean.com/products.php?cat=33
under supplies there is a classified section
I think you would be better off with a used PTO (CDS) for reliablility and life.
http://www.expertcarpetcare.ca>Carpet Cleaning in Victoria BC
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 11:45pm
Man, why are you looking at the high hour TM's...READ MY TYPE...GET A NEW TM...OR very low hour's....less than 500... 

5000 to 8000 hrs!!!... Your going the wrong way dude....
pilediver View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2007 at 11:53pm
gimmmeagig here you go BRAND NEW and this is an installed price out of Las Vegas

3616       $10,995.00
http://www.allcleaningequipment.com/

The 3616 truck-mount is the perfect start-up unit. With its 16hp Briggs & Stratton power plant there is a comfortable harmony between components.

The proven track record of Briggs & Stratton engines continues with the Vangaurd engines and A.C.E. truck-mounts. The 36 Roots dsl (dual oil splash) blower provides 310 cfm for the ultimate residential truck-mount. High pressure washing with heat is not an option with this 4.0 gpm, 3000 psi General Pump, it comes as standard equipment! To help prevent buildup in crucial internal components our last step stainless steel solution injection system fits the bill perfect. Now wrap this package in a 100 percent stainless steel frame and you have the ultimate entry level truck-mount.

List Price $10,995.00   

Price includes: 100 feet vacuum and solution, 50 foot garden hose, 12 inch 2 jet wand, instruction manual, and installation package.

Edited by pilediver - 28/March/2007 at 11:53pm
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2007 at 12:08am
For less than 300 more you can get NEW PowerClean 26hp Kohler, 45 roots, 2000psi cat pump  and it will blow that ACE away.. dual heat exchangers with 2 pre-heaters....And more reliable...
gimmeagig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimmeagig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2007 at 11:13pm
I was hoping by posting here it would be easier for me to make a decision.This sure is a difficult process.
I'm having the truck with the Hydramaster CDS 4.8 checked out in an auto shop and also at a shop that repairs the machines.Here's why:   
I was told by our local shop that one of the advantages of direct drives is that since there is no motor they are more reliable and last longer than slideins.I was also told that the lifespan of a slidein is at least 8000 hrs for a watercooled one and some of the better ones can last over 12000 hrs.
So if this hydramaster CDS has 5100 hrs why is that too many hours?I'm confused.Here's what I'm thinking right now.
I learned that carpetcleaners that are doing good business run about 1000 hrs per year.So I'm thinking that the CDS Machine at 5100 hrs might have about 5 years left.
I would like to get a machine that has at least 3 years left on it.If the business works out for me I would be able to really get what I want then.
So even if the CDS only lasts 3 more years I'd still be OK with that.
Even if the engine in the truck (83000 mi) blows up a year from now,a rebuild might cost about 2800?That still wouldn't be the end of the world.I could absorb that at a later time.
Does that make any sense at all?
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2007 at 12:21am
Yeah it makes sense...listen just jump in with booth feet. Nothing lasts forever, but servicing your unit will extent the life. You'll be good either way I think.
www.mr-steamer.com
pilediver View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2007 at 12:27am
gimmeagig your right in your logic. Blowers should last 10,000 hours if they are maintained. For each running hour of the truckmount it is putting the equivelant of 30 miles on the truck engine. In other words your truck's engine now has on it 153,000 + 83,000 for a total of 236,000 miles. That's ok as long as the engine has been maintained and that means frequent coolant changes, transmission fluid changes and oil changes.   If the truck has been driven by an owner rather than employees - better yet.

5000 hours is over the hill on a slide in but acceptable on a PTO(CDS) system. Hydramaster is a good unit. As you can tell there are people that speak somewhat negative and there are more that speak positive. Hydramaster is a very strong brand and a reputable company.

Now this is what you need to ask the owner of the unit.
All service history on the unit. Has it had any bearing and shaft replacements. When was the last time it had a rebuild kit put in the Cat pump (I think it's a Cat). The blower size on this Hydramaster is considered a good sized blower that you can use on any size of job you would likely run into.   You won't likely put more than 500 hours on it your first year, if you do your doing darn good.
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2007 at 12:32am
or you forgot to turn the key all the way off
www.mr-steamer.com
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2007 at 1:31am
Duh

The STD Meter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>