Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Winterize and store the Tm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize and store the Tm
    Posted: 12/November/2005 at 11:33pm

As winter appoaches i was thinking on winterizint my TM and let it sit in my driveway....use my Recoil so i can take it inside and everything stays warm....

Anyone else do this??? or do you run you TM when it's below zero???

Call me chicken...want to make sure nothing freezes as i clean...

I don't have a trap door like SS has...that way you can shut the side door...

Mine would be open and ?????? what could freeze ?????

1st winter with TM.... Help me if you can my friends...

I'm sure i could figure it out but tell me your experience under freezing conditions.... Thanks man....

Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2005 at 11:39pm
Since we have PTO's, we can close all the doors while working. The only thing that freezes is the wand, and that is only when it is below -20 and you don't get into the house quick enough 
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2005 at 11:42pm

cmaster...dont your hoses leave the doors open..????

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2005 at 11:52pm
Only a couple of inches. We run them out the back doors and the equipment is at the side doors. My Tm's have never frozen while out working, only when parked with the van shut off for a few hours.
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 12:11am

look at the pics of my older van,you will notice a little hole in the step of the van

that way I can keep all doors closed

I have run heaters in the vans overnight and it always leaves me worried

last winter I rented a very small shop

next week I will decide between a couple shops I've been looking at,I have someone else interested in splitting the costs

HUGE piece of mind

the worst that will happen in the winter while working usually is a frozen solution hose which is no biggy

once the machine is warm (if the van is insulated) the van is warm

Edited by Steaminpile
A.K.A.
Andy
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 1:05am
We park ours in heated garages during the winter. Leaving them outside is too risky IMO.
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 1:05am

once your insulted with no cracks your good up to -15 for at least 8 hours.

just keep the damn thing out of the wind

it's the wind in the cracks that do the damage

www.mr-steamer.com
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 1:12am

Thanks guys.... My van is insulated.... don't have a garage... but can rent a heated 2car garage for $150US...have to pay for the heat which is propane heat...How expesive will that be per month???? I thought natural gas was cheaper....dunno...

OR I can run the anti-freeze thru the plumbing and put a heater inside...

Dropped down to 28f one night.... had heater on medium 900W setting and it was 80f in the van.....

Now when it gets -20... I am wondering will it sustain the same temp difference which is about 50f.............

Any thoughts....

Man, I should be out shooting pool and making money......I use to be a what ya call a Hustler back in my days...........

True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 1:31am

I have never heated my van in side the garage....no mater how cold it gets

I don't turn off the until I'm jumping in the van to drive back home..... then I blast the heat... get it nice and hot...

get it inside the garage... and shut it up tight...

good for at least a day and a half

still warm in the morning when I hop back in....

if your slow you should start it up and let ir run for  a while to get it warm and then shut it up again

www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 8:37am
Lp gas (propane)is very expensive but still cheaper than a freezup.  I have had it cold enough to freeze the gauges on front of one of the 405's. The temp dropped after we started the hoses would not rollup when we were finished. the joys of living the lake. I have always had the vans insulated.
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 10:43am

Winter is not a time for a lot of furniture moving inside the house while your cleaning.

once you pull the solution hose in...you don't stop for more than a minute or 2... once the water isn't moving it will freeze... especially steam.

so last in first out... and try to keep the hose runs to a minimum...I won't do  a hose drop any more than 15 to 20 feet outside in the winter... if you have to drop 50 ft and above forget it... your asking for trouble

www.mr-steamer.com
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 12:49pm
We still end up with fairly long runs even in winter. the thig that pi$$ me off is trying to pull the hose out of the snow banks after it sinks to the bottom of the snow drift?
Just My opinion
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 2:06pm
Yup. Gotta hate snow
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2005 at 7:33pm
I think some people deliberately wait till the dirtest coldest and most miserable day of winter to have their work done?
Just My opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>