Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Cleaning Standards? Do we need them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Standards? Do we need them?
    Posted: 30/August/2004 at 3:44pm

Cleaning Standards:
Do We Really Need Them?

Please find a reprint below written by the president of the IICRC and for those who don't know he is Canadian and operates a carpet cleaning business in the suburb of Toronto, ON.

Feel free to give him a call. He is a wealth of knowledge and is in an excellent position to submit constructive critisism to his board of directors.

Here is your chance to vent:

Carey Vermeulen
Glencary Carpet Cleaning
905-428-6327

During a recent phone conversation with an insurance broker I realized, again, the impact that the IICRC is having in the marketplace.

This gentleman was trying to find a way to market a new insurance product to the list of IICRC Certified Firms, and was asking me for some inside help. he was offering a unique insurance product, which he was in the process of creating, specifically for Certified Firms. The main requirements are that the firm be IICRC Certified and that it follow the published standard for that particular discipline.

What a compliment, and what a bonus for Certified Firms.

Just before my time on the board, IICRC S001, since revised as the S100 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Carpet Cleaning, was written. At the time there was a huge communication gap between the cleaning industry and the carpet manufacturers.

On one side sat the cleaning industry and the cleaning equipment manufacturers, promoting what they believed was the best way to clean carpet. On the other side sat the carpet mills, hesitant to recommend cleaning or specific cleaning methods because they simply did not understand them.

Nobody was communicating, nobody benefited, and the consumers were getting less value for their investment. Ron Van Gelderen and Ned Hoppper of the Carpet and Rug Institute suggested that the IICRC write a standard for the industry on carpet cleaning, hence the birth of IICRC S001. The relationship between the CRI and the IICRC has blossomed ever since.

The same is true about the S300 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Upholstery Cleaning. Until the mid '90s, furniture and fabric manufacturers simply did not understand the cleaning industry. Until the writing of S300, the only directions available for upholstery cleaning were the deck labels, supposedly saying whether the fabric should be wet (W) or solvent (S) cleaned, or just vacuumed.

Imagine that: just vacuumed.

It was about that time when I approached the AFMA, on behalf of the IICRC, to open the lines of communication between the upholstery manufacturers and the cleaning industry. With the help of Ruth Travis and Jeff Bishop, we were able to provide the AFMA with enough education about cleaning that they finally agreed to help with the writing of the standard.

The S300 task force had more than a dozen contributors from the furniture and fabric manufacturing industries. By 1999, we were done; the S300 was printed early in 2000. We have since been asked by the AFMA to sit on their Standards and Guidelines Committee to help write identification codes and cleaning standards for leather upholstery. Leather expert Lonnie McDonald represents us on this committee.

Our cleaning standards have as much or more technical and consumer information as many of the industry's training manuals. So pull your copy off the shelf or order one for the first time, and the next time someone asks, "Why use a cleaning standard?" open it up and show them the wealth of information inside.

Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2004 at 8:39pm
Standards:  There are so many standards by the time you buy one and read it it is outdated.  Lets take about the water Standard.  the insurance companies wanted a standard now what?  They don't want to pay to have you do the job by the standard.  A standard is for a perfect world unfortunately there is never a perfect world around when you need one.  There are to many interperations in a standard and grey areas.Guitar
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2004 at 11:40pm
too many grey areas... but no comment
surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 6:10am
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

...  the insurance companies wanted a standard now what?  They don't want to pay to have you do the job by the standard.

Ain't THAT the truth.  Any insurance guys here?  Property managers? Go die.  Around here, they're hiring these $20 per room boyz:

Liability?  Whazzat? 
MSDS?  No, thank you.... I don't like Chinese food.
Soap goes into the fresh water tank, and stains come back, I've proved it.
Giddy-Up pardner!

ahhh... you get my point.

-Allen

True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 6:17am
Allen you've only been cleaning for a week or so and already your an expert.  Lets not talk about something you know very little about unless you have the handbook in hand.  You have very little experience you just took the classes.  Leave the comments to the people that have been doing it for years.  No more IICRC talk
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 9:59am
Allen:  No more IICRC talk.  Let the people who have been doing it for years talk.  Talk about what.  For christ sake now the standards aare the devil's doing.  I think the problem with a standard is you have to read it.  The only time you liik at is after you screwed up and are trying to figure out what you did wrong.  Allen let the Seniors speak.  Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 7:48pm
IICRC needs to be improved...end of story.... It should be a training class, and we all should go back and take it...  Who first showed you how to clean Grand Master DougVader
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 7:53pm
Mr. Steamer:  Moses.Guitar
Just My opinion
steamdragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 7:56pm
Mrs. Steamer, your full of yourself!
Steamdragon the hotter the better.
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 7:58pm

I am full of Steam.....

Moses who do I know him????

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 8:24pm
Mr. Steamer:  Moses had a magic wand.  He just held it up and the dirt departed from the red carpet.Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 8:26pm
ooooooooooo you better not say that or you'll have the god watch all over you.  Blaspheming
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 8:28pm
Mr. Steamer:  I thought all the carpet cleaners in the GTA worshiped the God Of Steam   er?Guitar
Just My opinion
steamdragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2004 at 8:30pm
What ever! Mrs. Steamer talks out of his ***!!!
Steamdragon the hotter the better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>