Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7346
Printed Date: 29/March/2024 at 3:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can I alter my glides?
Posted By: Atlantis
Subject: Can I alter my glides?
Date Posted: 26/February/2012 at 9:49pm
I was just wondering if I altered my glide what would happen. I ordered the ones with several small holes drilled into them instead of the one with the long slit or magic lips. Of course I'm running into the problem of not being able to suck up debris or anything bigger than the holes. So I was wondering if I can take a drill and drill a bigger hole some where in it. What would happen if I did this? Would it lose it's suction? If it's OK to do, would the center be the best place to do it?

thanks

Replies:
Posted By: cleanex
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 2:05pm
Need Ken to answer that one for you. The other option is to pre-vac your jobs.

-------------
DON ELDRED
YOU CAN "STAND" ON OUR REPUTATION

Posted By: Ed Valentine
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 3:04pm
what you could consider is this:

Elongate the hole(s) by approx 2 1/2" with a solid space inbetween the next elongated area. You should have approx -4- per 12" wand width. This will solve your problem.

Hope this helps;
Ed Valentine
cross-american.com

Posted By: Ken Harris
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:28pm
I would not do this. A holed glide actually will remove more water from the carpet and dry it faster. Save it for the carpets that get pre-vaced. Buy a slotted glide. Use that one on the carpets that are not pre-vaced. Glides do not cost that much that you can't own 2 of them.

-------------
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 01/March/2012 at 1:24pm
I took mine to the vet and got them altered.  Otherwise the neighborhood would have been overrun with those little critters.  They reproduce like crazy if left unaltered.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 02/March/2012 at 12:08pm
First, there are several different aspects we must consider when deteriming which glide is best.

IMO, the real purpose of a Glide (note: in the HWE industry; not the hard flooring business) is to make it easier for the Operator to move the wand over the carpet. Less resistence transfers to less back pain. However, we must note that the Operator will provide less agitation to the fibers having a Glide that slides across the carpeting.
1.  A Slotted Glide will extract more water than a Hole Glide will. And further, it will not clogg like a hole glide either.

2.  A Hole Glide will provide greater resistence for extraction than a Slotted Glide will.

You see, this all relates to the kind and amount of extraction performance one has within his machine; in terms of; Air-Flow/CFM's, and Water-Lift.

Water-lift pulls the water up and into the wand nozzle opening (carpet depth approx 1/4-1/2"). Once it arrives at the nozzle, Air-Flow/CFM's take over and moves it quickly through the vac hoses and back to its recovery destination.

And, that is why one needs greater airflow than waterlift; however, each is very important in its own in regards to "clean & dry" carpeting.

Again, as I explain above and as my good friend, Ken mentioned, a slotted glide is where its at, and he's right on IMHO.

Hope this helps;
Ed Valentine

Date Posted: 02/March/2012 at 12:17pm
So are lips better than glides Ed?

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 02/March/2012 at 12:33pm
Duckcountry;

I believe it would all depend solely on how the "Lip Glides" are designed. They certainly could be.

If I was designing a wand, having an easy built in and permanent glide would be easy and a no brainer. Funny to date, I have not seen this easy design being adopted.

However, back to the topic of lip glides: the lip glide itself would have to have a somewhat large dia itself so as not to dig into the carpet nap. On the other hand, if it was larger (ex: like a standard Glide), it would narrow the natural slot opening over the wand nozzle. If it did this, we would cut down on our "Volume" of air-flow provided by the machine.

If it were me, I would try lip glides. They are not that expensive and worth the try. I think Ken sells those (?).

Hope this makes sense.
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Posted By: Ken Harris
Date Posted: 03/March/2012 at 1:22pm
I would always suggest a cleaner try a Lip Glide on the wand first if one is available to fit. The $40.00 it costs for a pair of these is money well spent IMO.

-------------
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!

Posted By: ayetti
Date Posted: 15/March/2012 at 10:17pm
Agreed on trying the lip glide first, it will not really change the way you clean, but you get to experience the benefit of a glide. 

Date Posted: 16/March/2012 at 12:41am
At the end of the day, it is all about what energy I have for the things I work for.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net