Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to Upholstery Cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=699
Printed Date: 27/April/2024 at 2:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PSI for cleaning cars?
Posted By: splash_$$$_dash
Subject: PSI for cleaning cars?
Date Posted: 25/October/2004 at 11:28pm

I'm not happy with the dry times I'm getting on cars.

I was using a Ninja 100 for a long time and had no probs. Now I have a 500psi machine with a regulator and I crank it back to 200.

Any advice or have I already answered my own question? Probably should crank it back to 100 eh?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: gmoney
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 9:39am

I started out doing car interiors  a long time ago and worked for an auto detailing shop for many years.  The only cars I clean now are my own. 

Most shops only use a 60 psi machine and do a great job.  One shop I worked at only used a 5 gallon bucket of solution, a wash mitt, and an industrial shop vac.  Their work was great. 

TURN DOWN THE PSI (especially on the upholstery). The thickness of fabric on the upholstery is probably less than 200 of an inch thick and then the rest is foam.  By overwetting the fabric and soaking the foam, there is the possibility of stain wicking up to the surface and drying times are greatly increased. Very important: if there is a deep stain that keeps coming up while cleaning the seats, use a towel to remove it from the surface.  If you have to, lightly mist the spot and wipe again.  Injecting water into the foam is only inviting that spot to evapourate to the surface upon drying. 

You should use 60-100 psi to prespray the upholstery and use a wash mitt or brush to work it in (preferably working the chemical in simultaneously as you spray).  Let it sit 10 minutes and then extract without injecting water.  If you must spray, mist the area to be extracted and then extract without injecting water.

For floors, spray solution, do a quick scrub and extract after 10 minutes.

It is best to usually spray and scrub all the floors first, let them dwell and then do the seats.  After spraying the seats, extract them if they are not that dirty or let them dwell while you go back and extract the floors. 

Unfortunately the notion of using higher psi to clean carpets does not work so well with cars.  Agitation and low psi is the key. 

Let the car run with the heat on if in a cold region or simply leave the windows down and add an air mover if you want to speed up drying times. 

Grease cutting chemicals seem to work best with cars. 

Hope this helps.  

-------------
If you know what is good for you get it dry as quickly as possible

Posted By: jackblack
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 10:28am
hey money, good info you left there but are you saying to prespray then just vac without any water? as in no rinse?

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 12:41pm
Splash:  You have to have some other problem. I sometimes have dealerships call and clean  4 or 5 cars at a time witn my tm and have no problems with drying. I clean planes, boats and motorhomes and I have no problem.  Maybe you are overwetting with you upholstery tool?  Is your vac plugged, there has to be some other problem.  Auto upholstery can take a much more aggressive cleaning than a couch or chair. There is something wrong somewhere?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by jackblack jackblack wrote:

hey money, good info you left there but are you saying to prespray then just vac without any water? as in no rinse?

You may or may not be surprised to know that most cars are cleaned by shampoo and or prespray brushed in and maybe vacuumed with an inexpensive vacuum cleaner.

The car cleaning industry is living in the past.

Look at the new http://www.kleenkuip.com/products/airking_blower.htm - AirKing air mover with adjustable air scoop for speed drying. Also clean with hotter water where you clean in the 200 degree fahrenheit range you can cut back on water volume.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 5:44pm

doug how much PSI pressure are you using?

also, do you put the tool right on the seat or hold it back, spray then extract?

THX

-------------

Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 7:28pm
Splash:  I don't touch my pressure at the truck. It is set  @ 425psi.  I use a Pro Chem upholstery tool, any adjusting I do at the tool.  I prespray with a sprayer not the tool, then extract.  What are you running for heat?  I know the 405 is cookin with just the upholstery tool on. I usually go to muffler mode to by pass heat. It is still a constant 210 220 degrees with the upholstery tool at the truck. I have an Ultimate and Kleenrite 220? great heat for uphostery just not the heat and pressure I want for autos.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 7:38pm

splash_$$$_dash

The only way I would ever clean a car seat is with a Stealth Dry Tool that has an internal water jet. Chop stroke only and never lift the tool to spray. This way you never get the windows, dash and your clothing all wet. And the PSI won't matter as the tool handles the pressure automatically.

P.S.
Never use a stair tool open-jet to clean upholsery. DANGER!

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Carpetologist Carpetologist wrote:

splash_$$$_dash

P.S.

Who in their right mind would clean upholstery with a stair tool?  And who in this thread said they did?  Did I miss something?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 8:13pm
Splash are you closing all the windows???? I kill cars 2-5 hours dry I run at 350 psi...220 heat... I use the hydroforce to spray it all down

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 9:37pm

(1) MY tool is closed

(2) 2 hours is ok but 5 is a bit high.

(3) windows are all open

(4) water is out of the tap, i dont use a TM

-------------

Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 11:15pm

Splash,

I guarantee you will not get two hour dry times with the psi's others are recommending.  Try it out for yourself.  The more you work the solution in by hand, the less psi you have to use.  There is not much square footage in a vehicle so you should be able to scrub quick.  I was able to spray down and scrub a car in less than 15 minutes. It is a trade off.  More psi means less elbow grease needed, but much longer dry times.

Jackblack,

Sorry for the ambiguity.  You can lightly spray with straight water or acid rinse (without injecting into the foam and carpet  since this greatly increases drying times) and then extract.

-------------

Posted By: Mr.Mike
Date Posted: 26/October/2004 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Originally posted by Carpetologist Carpetologist wrote:

splash_$$$_dash

P.S.

Who in their right mind would clean upholstery with a stair tool?  And who in this thread said they did?  Did I miss something?Guitar

LOL...ya think a newfie might use a stair tool on upholstery??? Ted is a lot of things...but I know for a fact that he aint no newfie.

-------------
I'm positive about the negative...and negative about the positive.

Date Posted: 27/October/2004 at 7:08am

You can use chemspec Dry Clean on the seats ...that works great... and then just steam clean the carpet....

I guess it all depends on how dirty the car is.... unless they are complaining about the dry time...who cares... give them a heafty bag to but over the wet seat...lol

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 30/October/2004 at 8:17pm
anyone do cars in the winter???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 30/October/2004 at 8:37pm
Mr. Steamer: I freeze dry them.  Then in the summer the owner can thaw then out and dry them.  I have done them in my shop.  Too much hastle I just send them to a car detailer.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/October/2004 at 11:54am

I had someone that wanted me to do a couch outside in the dead of winter....lol

I did it...it froze...I laughed...

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/November/2004 at 4:03pm
You could try using some drycleaning powder???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/November/2004 at 5:07pm
Mr. Steamer: Most detailers I think still use the KorKay foam system to clean cars.  Brush it on vac it off.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Adwa
Date Posted: 13/November/2004 at 11:36pm
Doug that was a discussion I had this week from a detailer. They are sick to death with the foam system because the owners complain about the interior getting dirty to fast and also they need and want hot water extraction to get the grease and grim off of the floors. He will be in for training this week, maybe I should book it for the 19th. This event should be an eye opener for the guy.

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com - http://www.kleenkuip.com

Date Posted: 13/November/2004 at 11:39pm
ADWA:  That is the system of choice for most deaslerships. We clean the odd one they have a problem with.  It also leaves a strong odour after cleaning.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 11:09am

The faster it gets dirty... the more the foam guy will clean...lol

the more money he'll make

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 11:44am
Mr. Steamer: And the more the auto will stink of chemicals.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 5:34pm

Worked at many detail shops and car dealerships in the GTA when younger.  None of them used this foam you guys are talking about.  All used low psi steam cleaners except for one establishment.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 6:00pm
Gmoney:  I guess it must just be the small town way.  I can't speak for the GTA.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 10:22pm
Most detailing shops use a bucket brush and shop vac...lol

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 10:23pm
I find Dry clean great on seats.....the blush velvet stuff comes up great

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 14/November/2004 at 10:41pm
I never used it. Bit had to remove enough of it.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 17/November/2004 at 4:53pm
you had to remove dry clean??? how on what???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 17/November/2004 at 4:58pm
Mr. I meany the residue from the Korky foam system.  Now you tell me just how in hell you dry cleaned a car seat. You must mean you just vacuumed.  I have drycleaned drapery and furniture and I mean with a solvent. But I only cleaned clean as it did not work well on soil.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 17/November/2004 at 5:00pm
using solvent of course doug... then vacuumed

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 17/November/2004 at 5:13pm
Mr. Steamer:  Then the owner came lite up a smoke and blew the god damm car up. Right?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 17/November/2004 at 10:22pm

It's not like you clean it with the windows rolled up...and the bottle open on the back seat...lol

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 18/November/2004 at 8:18am
Mr. Steamer:  Bottle of what??Do you have mix? Or just take it strait?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 23/November/2004 at 11:04pm
I'm a man... I always have Meat and Mix

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com