Print Page | Close Window

Where is everybody from?

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Introduce yourself
Forum Description: New around here? Come on in and say HI!
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=580
Printed Date: 27/April/2024 at 6:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Where is everybody from?
Posted By: Superglide Ken
Subject: Where is everybody from?
Date Posted: 16/September/2004 at 7:48pm

I have often wondered where the different posters that come here are posting from and a bit about there background. In an effort to know each other better, I will lead off. If you do not feel comfortable telling info here, don't.Just say as much as you feel comfortable with. I thought it would be nice to take off my technical hat for a night.

I was born in Oshawa, Ontario, and spent the first 23 years of my life there. I was going to be a chemical engineer before being side tracked to the restuarant industry, GM, and different sales jobs. I lived breifly in London, Ontario before moving to Toronto in 1977. I stayed there for two years before moving to Calgary in 1979, where I have mostly been ever since. I have had carpet cleaning companies operating here ever since. On my doctors recommendation, I got out of cleaning carpet cleaning fulltime back in 1999 for health reasons and decided to build what this industry needs to make life easier and more profitable for cleaners. I'm still doing that today.

Your turn......................

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Replies:
Posted By: danmarck
Date Posted: 17/September/2004 at 1:39am
Ken, Just a little bit about myself. I am a North Dakota USA native
raised in a small town of 30 people. Graduated from a private university
called St. John's in Collegeville Minnesota in International Business. Had a
friend who was making extra money in the summer cleaning carpets.
Learned a bit from him, I had cleaning as a side line to a purchasing
Agent position I had with an Electrical wholesaler. Economy slowed in
1985 , got laid off so I kept cleaning carpets to pay the bills. Enjoyed the
independance and freedom that having your own business offers and
kept at it. I run One unit by choice ( Butler), I have a trailer at the the lake
and enjoy kicking back on the weekends in the summer. I have also
traveled six times to Europe to visit relatives and enjoy traveling when the
fairs are down. Like all small business owners saving for retirement could
be better but I enjoy my work still and that to me is success.

-------------
Here to help you grow your business!

Posted By: surroundings
Date Posted: 17/September/2004 at 6:18am
Well,

I've posted a brief history earlier, but here it is again:

Native of Fresno, CA... lived in LA & San Diego a bit too.  Came to South Australia in '91 to visit some relatives.  Turned a 1 month visit to a 3 month... to a 6 month... then got married the day before I was supposed to leave the country. 

I think it was the beer.

Spent most of my time  in sales/marketing/business development/corporate ass kissing. Took 6 weeks off in Dec & Jan just past, 'cause my folks were visiting from the US for the first time since I got married (the Mrs. & I have been 'back' a couple of times).  Halfway through, I looked at my wife and told her that I wasn't going back to work.  For ANYONE.  EVER.

Dad suggested becoming a CC'er like him.  Thought about it.  It made sense.  I had been helping my old man for years. So we did it.  Aimed squarely at the top end of the market, like good 'ol dad.  It suits.

and THAT'S the REST of the story..

-Allen

Posted By: OCC Boss
Date Posted: 17/September/2004 at 6:11pm

Woodstock, Onatrio

-------------
H8 DIRT

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 18/September/2004 at 9:50am

Take this job and shove it

Allen ain't working here no more

His daddy done came and gave him something

He should be working toward

And if he finds out their's glory

Well according to Allen that s another story????Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: fastone1979
Date Posted: 01/December/2004 at 7:59am
Coldwater MI.     Its near  the ohio michigan, IN.  border  

-------------
every job is a self portrait of yourself! So autograph it with quality!

Posted By: Dakota
Date Posted: 04/December/2004 at 6:22pm

To be short and sweet . I am from North Dakota

I bet all you guys from Canada are jealous of us cause we has much warmer winters.

Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 07/December/2004 at 2:44am
Yeah Dakota; at least as compared to those guys that live up in Winterpeg! LOL

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: whitey
Date Posted: 12/December/2004 at 9:52pm

winterpeg..lol

I am from Yorkton Saskatchewan.........grew up in Bredenbury Sask..

lived in Saskatoon and bought an autotrader for Edmonton Alberta and found a carpet cleaning van bought it ......the guy had it in Oklahoma.

i am here in yorkton now...my own small business .i just recently bought some tile and grout cleaning equipment....hoping  to make some money no one else does it here in a city of 18,000...if anyone else does this line of work inbox me i would appreciate it..thanks....Michael

Posted By: Bob R
Date Posted: 20/December/2004 at 10:57am
Milton ON

-------------
Bob R

Date Posted: 20/December/2004 at 7:58pm

BobR:  You are really close to the  GTA  gang.  I really feel sorry for you?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Lisa Smith
Date Posted: 23/December/2004 at 12:13am

Hi All,

I'm from SoCal, have been cleaning carpet for seventeen years. I own and operate GLS Professional Cleaning and Restoration.

I recently teamed up with Greenie and we are together manufacturing glides for wands (GreenGlides). There are few in this industry with as much passion and enthusiasm as us.

I have four kids ages 22, 17, 12 & 11, am 41 years old, and live with my boyfriend, Greenie...but if he screws up I am always taking backup offers!

Take care,

Lisa

Posted By: danmarck82
Date Posted: 23/December/2004 at 12:45am
I have been trying to find info on your glides do you have a website?

Date Posted: 23/December/2004 at 12:48am

Not yet, it is being built right now. For info on glides email us at mailto:TheGreenOne@gmail.com - TheGreenOne@gmail.com

Take care,

Lisa

Date Posted: 23/December/2004 at 4:17pm

The site is http://www.GreenGlides.com - www.GreenGlides.com and will be up soon. The above link for email is Gmail, it appears to be a Q in the link.

They Start @ $169 and carry a money back plus shipping guarantee. Also we don't charge you til you receive product and are happy with it.

visit bbs.ccsop.com for lots of info on glides and just good controversial cleaning chat.

GREENIE

Posted By: Harry
Date Posted: 23/December/2004 at 8:31pm

I like it when Lisa's hands glide over my back. She eats weird breakfasts, smiles a lot and is a decent human being. She is the genuine article and I would trust her and her word.  Greenie is a lot like Lisa, very positive,  enthusiastic and a hard worker. He's no whiner, just gets it done and always ready to help out.

-------------
Be Juan in a Million - be a Leatherwright.

Posted By: Dan Laurie
Date Posted: 30/December/2004 at 2:03am

Them sure are some kind words Harry.

Wanna go for a ride down Vegas Blvd???

Dan

Date Posted: 30/December/2004 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

Greenie is a lot like Lisa.

Harry:  Is Greenie blonde also? I guess then they would call him blondie right? Can you tell them apart?  I hope this does not create a problem.  Usually Harry is always right on with his descriptions of people..

Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/January/2005 at 9:09pm

Yes Doug, Greenie is also a blond, ex-marine and very passionate in all he does. Greenie and Lisa are quite easy to tell apart - Lisa wears skirts and a thong, Greenie does not. Lisa has long blond hair and Greenie has short blond hair and his feet are a lot bigger as is his head.

I hope that helps Doug but it IS just my opinion........................

-------------

Date Posted: 01/January/2005 at 11:00pm

Thanks Harry that helps if I ever get to meet them I will be able to tell them apart.Guitar

Doug

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: f*gan
Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 11:30am
 hi

Posted By: Jim Morrison
Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 3:29pm

I grew up in Lloydminister, Alberta, when I was 19 I landed a job with AGT (Alberta Government Telephones) now called telus. 23 years later they wanted to downsize by 5000 employees and I decided it was time to leave.

Did'nt have a clue what I was going to do as I'm a long way from retirement. My carpets needed cleaning and a buddy of mine who used to do property management let me borrow an old Kent portable he had in his basement. Not sure if my carpets were any better after that experience  but I got thinking maybe there was something in the carpet biz for me.

I went to Edmonton and took a CC course through the IICRC and spent a  few days with an awesome CCer in Edmonton. Bought myself a Ninga and no looking back.

Love the industry and the people in it.

Jim

Posted By: Adwa
Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 3:30pm
f*gan Hi,  anything else you would like to say.

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com - http://www.kleenkuip.com

Posted By: Tile and Stone
Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 7:06pm

I am from Buffalo, NY.  I am not a CC'er, but I do clean about 100,000 square feet of tile a month.  My main focus is Floor Safety and Marble Restoration.  I am curious how much Tile cleaning goes on in Canada and in other areas of the U.S.

-------------
Dean

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 7:43pm
Actually a lot TS... many many many hotels... what kind of method or powder are you using???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 12/January/2005 at 10:04pm

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum. I will have to get my map out to find were in Alberta Lloydminister is, I never heard of that town. I guess you have to really watch you don't freeze your equipment. I was talking with someone today at Esteam ( The manufacture of Ninja) and she told me it was -45. Now thats cold. How long have you been carpet cleaning? In a province full of Truck Mounts will you be happy for long with your portable?

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

Posted By: Tile and Stone
Date Posted: 14/January/2005 at 6:33pm

Steamer,

Ever thought about utilizing a non-etching floor safety product to clean the tile and grout in the hotels?  Or are you refinishing marble in the hotels?

-------------
Dean

Date Posted: 14/January/2005 at 9:13pm
maintaning Marble floors... once a year or once every six months treatment

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 27/January/2005 at 4:05pm
Tile & Stone... where have you gone man... no reply posts

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Rick/Magic
Date Posted: 17/February/2005 at 4:38pm
I'm in Georgia...just north of Atlanta...southern born...southern bred...

-------------
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts

Posted By: Lee Stockwell
Date Posted: 03/March/2005 at 1:24am

Born and raised in Coldwater MI, but moved to Murray KY in 1969 at the beginning of my senior year.  Married Theresa and raised five great kids and a few foster kids. Now have six grandbabies from SC to TN to TX.

Run a little 2-1/2 truck operation for 34 years here, still the same phone number.

I've been around the bulletin boards for over six years, but this is my first post here.

Thanks,

Lee

Posted By: Willy Parsons
Date Posted: 03/March/2005 at 8:48am

Welcome aboard Lee!

FYI- Lee is one of the most knowledgable folks in our industry and always willing to help out with his abundance of experience and intelligence. It's good to see you here.

-------------
Certified to be certifiable.

Date Posted: 30/March/2005 at 11:37pm
Here's one of our vans:

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 12:35am
Very noticable going down the road. They will know or recognize it from
miles away as Lee's Van. That's a good thing!

I see you have your next generation carpet cleaner with you.

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 12:39am
according to your first post you are around 54 or so.

Who's in the picture??

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 2:47am

That's my oldest son, Jeremy with his son Keegan.  I have four sons, a daughter, and as of now six grandkids.  Keegan is now almost 12 and is an excellent spotter and installer's helper. Three trucks identical, and a "plain wrapper" white one.

Thanks for asking, the young'ns are all the joy of my life, as are grandkids everywhere I guess.

Lee

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 10:12am
Thanks, for the explanation, Nice picture.
No Grandkids YET!!! for me.......hopefully not for 3-4 years yet.

Posted By: tman357w
Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 3:23pm
new to here old to the business .....21 yrs worth.36 years old own business now ,first year into it and lovin it!!!!!!im kind of a one man show,I do all types of new installation,carpet,ceramic,tile ,wood,laminates,......etc....u get the point.and of course carpet cleaning.Live in bowie,texas.been doin floor work all my life.married 2 kids and of couse a dog!look forward to checkin this forum out

-------------
t/the carpet cleaner

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by tman357w tman357w wrote:

new to here old to the business .....21 yrs worth.36 years old own business now ,first year into it and lovin it!!!!!!im kind of a one man show,I do all types of new installation,carpet,ceramic,tile ,wood,laminates,......etc....u get the point.and of course carpet cleaning.Live in bowie,texas.been doin floor work all my life.married 2 kids and of couse a dog!look forward to checkin this forum out
good to have ya.... help yourself everyone else does...

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 31/March/2005 at 11:28pm
tman357w................ welcome, continued success!

Posted By: Americancarpet
Date Posted: 10/April/2005 at 1:00am
I grew up in eastern North Carolina but now live here in Indianapolis. Put myself thru college bartending and graduated with my MBA in communications. After college I started working for IBM and absolutely hated it. I finished my year contract withthem and went back to bartending. Hurricane Floyd hit the coast and totally destroyed everything I owned. I had a friend of mine ask me to come up to Indy to visit. Really liked the place and NO HURRICANES!! So I ended up moving here. Didn't know anything about the carpet business. Bought myself a ninja protable and a Rotovac, took all the IICRC classes I could get my hands on and started cleaning. That's my story.

-------------
Home of the FIX PRIXING carpet cleaning!

Posted By: kylie
Date Posted: 14/May/2005 at 11:26am

hi, I live in Australia, Brisbane, Started carpet cleaning last October and love it.  I started house cleaning 15 months ago, and didnt like the job carpet cleaners were doing in the area, so decided to give it a go....the bank actually gave me money and i lease a van and a portable.  Somehow the business is paying for itself and me an income.  I have just dropped back to a 5 day week, ohh and i dont mind doing lounges either.... .....lol ,  Figure another 12 months and i should be able change from 30% carpet cleaning to 100% and the cleaning can go....Carpet cleaning is more fun. 

I have had great support from prochem in brisbane, and I do as many courses as I can afford. 

I still have trouble with rust stains/timber and urine stains...??? others say they can get out the first two easy.. I must be applying wrong any suggestions would be great...

Thanks

Posted By: Americancarpet
Date Posted: 15/May/2005 at 1:18pm

Kylie,

Shoot me an email and I'll be glad to help. Pro's Choice makes a spotting kit that will get virtually everything out. I've tried many different kinds of spot removers but Pro's choice is by far the best. My email is mailto:AmericanCarpet@excite.com - AmericanCarpet@excite.com

-------------
Home of the FIX PRIXING carpet cleaning!

Posted By: Marty
Date Posted: 25/May/2005 at 8:04am
Well the rust spots are easy - hydrofloric acid will make them disappear. Don't get any on you though.

-------------
sanitary fibre technician

Posted By: Afghany danny
Date Posted: 25/May/2005 at 11:33pm

i'm a personal friend of Harry Hides and have been doing this for 19 years this august.

-------------
yep, thats right!!!

Date Posted: 25/May/2005 at 11:38pm
Hello Danny friend of Harry's........what exactly have you been doing for nineteen years.

-------------

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 25/May/2005 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Afghany danny Afghany danny wrote:

i'm a personal friend of Harry Hides and have been doing this for 19 years this august.

Did Harry send you here to keep an eye on us?

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 9:34am

i'm really an  inspector and i'm building a case against a certain glide manufacturer who seems to be raping honest hard working cleaners of their money!!!

-------------
yep, thats right!!!

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Afghany danny Afghany danny wrote:

i'm really an  inspector and i'm building a case against a certain glide manufacturer who seems to be raping honest hard working cleaners of their money!!!

That should take all of 5 minutes. What do you do for an encore?

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 5:23pm

git Kenny to tell the truth  !!!

-------------
yep, thats right!!!

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 5:29pm
Now there's a project that will take 1000 years

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 6:19pm
The trick cmaster is to know the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 6:54pm
It's been said before, when Ken's lips are moving, he's probably lying.

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 7:26pm
[QUOTE=Afghany danny]

With Harry everything is personal.  But rest assured your secret is safe with us.  We will not tell anyone you know Harry???

GuitarGuitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 7:36pm
I'm tellin'

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 9:31pm
So much for that idea???Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 9:33pm
No secrets around here

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 10:35pm
Well I tried?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 10:37pm
Danny's secret is out. I told the world

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 10:43pm

Good grief, I do not know ANY  Afghans at all.

But I do know a few lobotomized, toofless southern carpet cleaners....

-------------

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 10:43pm
A likely story

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 11:25pm
Brain matter Harry........I didn't know you were Frankenstein's grandson.  That explains a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/May/2005 at 11:59pm
I see the light

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net