How Long Should a Truckmount last?

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to truckmounts
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=561
Printed Date: 28/April/2024 at 9:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How Long Should a Truckmount last?
Posted By: doug
Subject: How Long Should a Truckmount last?
Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 8:06am
Just wondering some units are suppose to be good for ten thousand hours.  But usually the water pump needs rebuild, blower amy need something and the list goes on.  I know maintainence plays the most important roll in lifespan. Will a  CD outlast a Slide in. I guess that would depend on the type of van and so on.  Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Replies:
Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 12:02pm

Biggest thing that shortens TM life is vibration, followed by heat in the vehicle. Since a PTO reduces both those things, the PTO usually lasts much longer and holds its value better. Main reason for short motor life is the 2 cyl motors most use. They cannot compete with a water cooled V-8 motor for either reliabity or lifespan. Some of the highend slideins like the Genesis use a 4 cylinder motor that gives you 15,000 hours and that is close to the CD type unit. The longest lived TM on the market is the Vortex unit. With it's Turbodiesel motor it is good for around 50,000 plus hours.Most of us would wear out long before it did.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 9:39pm
Ken:  You seem to forget that ProChem and some other use the Nisan motors which have proven themselves.  The first one I had was in a Performer 800A  back in the late 80s.  It has lots of prwer, cery loud and not alot of heat.  But it became the foundation for some very impressive machines today.  Right after I bought the 800A ProChem came out with the Bearcat which made the 800A worth nothing.  There are still many 800's still working today.  so I believe a slide in will last as long or longer than cd.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 10:08pm
I know of many CD's that made it to 15,000 hours Doug, and quite a few nissan or ford 4 cylinders that have done the same, but only the vortex will go longer than that. I took the factory tour out in Salt Lake City. It is made to outlast 3 of the next longest lasting TMs.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

Biggest thing that shortens TM life is vibration, followed by heat in the vehicle. Since a PTO reduces both those things, the PTO usually lasts much longer and holds its value better. Main reason for short motor life is the 2 cyl motors most use. They cannot compete with a water cooled V-8 motor for either reliabity or lifespan. Some of the highend slideins like the Genesis use a 4 cylinder motor that gives you 15,000 hours and that is close to the CD type unit. The longest lived TM on the market is the Vortex unit. With it's Turbodiesel motor it is good for around 50,000 plus hours.Most of us would wear out long before it did.

I don't agree.... running off the engine with a PTO is way more costly... it causes undue stress to engine components like tranny and power steering...even the cooling system has trouble keeping the engine cool as your working.  give me a slide in anyday

Posted By: splash_$$$_dash
Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 10:45pm
give me a michaels porty 450 psi, for $2700.00 

Date Posted: 12/September/2004 at 11:02pm
oh I forgot about alll the berings that go as well... the fuel pump...etc etc etc yes splash give me a porty anyday

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 12:49am

For the GTA, you can do most of your jobs with a porty because of the number of highrises. In the West TMs rule. Can't run a good business without one.

Steamer: Where did I talk about cost of operation in my post? I didn't. It is a fact documented by studies on the subject that PTOs have lower operating costs for multi truck chains and franchise operators in total costs. The higher cost of gasoline may change that soon. Slideins are still the best choice for an owner operator that will take care of his units, cause the employees of the bigger chains sure don't. No clear winner on this subject. You just have to look at each situation separatly to see what is best. Like many things in life, there is a lot of gray and not much black and white.

Superglide Ken

-------------

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 6:42am

Like many things in life, there is a lot of gray and not much black and white.

Superglide Ken

where is white... and white is a slide-in ... todays slide in is just as easy to operate as any pto... really no difference... I have both 1 pto.. 1 slide-in.... the everyday 2000 rpm kills a pto... a new truck cost 30 thou + unit... after 3-4 years the truck is rubbish

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 6:45am

Biggest thing that shortens TM life is vibration, followed by heat in the vehicle. Since a PTO reduces both those things, the PTO usually lasts much longer and holds its value better. Main reason for short motor life is the 2 cyl motors most use.

there is that word VALUE.. so see we are talking cost... if you read my post I said it was more COSTLY

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 10:14am
Ken: I have been reading on other boards where people with CD have trannie problems, but I guess you are only considering the actual unit operation costs not the complete van.  What about a major problem like a van out of production.  With a slide in the costs to change to another van is pennies compared to a cd.  Lets face with a cd the van is useless.  with a slide in you can have it in several vans during it's life time  with very few modifications.  Using the Vortex as a comparsion to smaller slide ins with 2 cylinder engines is like comparing a Jetta to a Hummer.  So lets look at apples to apples.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 10:29am
Ok Doug. The CD from HM has had problems . Not a good comparisan. Much better to compare the Cleanco to a slidein if you want an apple to apple comparisan. $2000 spent on repair for operation in 8 years of cleaning and still going strong. If you know of a low cost slidein that can do the same, I would like to know about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 10:47am

Ken:  In 8 years you spent no money on the drive train of the van it is installed in? Motor, trannie, etc. Because with a cd it is a complete unit. With the slide in the van operateing costs are not what I call considered the same.  Because a slide in is a slide in  a cd becomes part of.  You are bunching all slide in tm's into one big basket except for the Vortex.  Yet can only find one cd that works. what about all the rest of them.  I think you are reaching for something that is not there.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 11:09am
Not really Doug. The Butler has the same kind of record. I replaced a Transmission in mine during that 8 years. Cost $1000 for that. But because it is a 92 van and was 4 years old when the unit was installed, that is normal. The chevs average a tranny every 8 years wether a PTO is in them or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 12:02pm
Ken:  I am still not convinced that it is cheaper to run a 350 chevy or whatever for less than a 2 or 4 cylinder unit on a slide in .  Those are also costs weather they are repairs or not.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 3:35pm

well I know why SG your truck lasted so long... you don't do much work... my cleano works 6 days a week on average 36 jobs a week... trust me it breaks down... over the last year I've dropped 12 grand into the truck including 2 trannies...

with my slide in... in the last year I've spent $0.00 only oil changes same amount of daily work...

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 7:03pm
Mr. Steamer:  I think you need another slide in. That cd doesn't make the balance sheet look to impressive.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 10:49pm
Ken:  Mr. Steamer needs that tm that dosen't require maintenance and dosen't breakdown that you have.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/September/2004 at 11:23pm

I have one...my prochem legend... I would want anything else..except a 405 but thats another story...

doug when your going to sell give me a call...seriously

Date Posted: 14/September/2004 at 2:33pm
Steamer: You are right about the working hours on my unit. 10 hours per week average for the last 3 years. They do last a long time when used like that. No doubt. Any decent unit would.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/September/2004 at 5:58pm
mine will run an average of 6.5 hours a day...everyday

Date Posted: 14/September/2004 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

I have one...my prochem legend... I would want anything else..except a 405 but thats another story...

doug when your going to sell give me a call...seriously

Mr. Steamer:  My equipment  usually has low hours on it when I replace them. The units certainly donot work 6.5 hrs a day.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/September/2004 at 9:37pm
sold sold sold... when your looking to upgrade doug...I'm looking for a 405..keep me in mind anyways...... I wanna get in a rip out it's guts, and replace everything with black steam pipe...oooooooo baby tickles my heart just thinking about it

Date Posted: 14/September/2004 at 11:32pm

I know what you mean Mr Steamer. Until 5 years ago when I changed my full time job over to manufacturing and sales from carpet cleaning; I used to put in 2000 hrs per year on the TM myself over about 300 working days per year. Works out to the same 6.5 hours per day you run now.

Superglide Ken

-------------

Date Posted: 22/September/2004 at 1:41pm

damn SG you where sure pushing wand....  I get burnt out every now and then... I think of just getting two guys to run the trucks... but know one works like me.  I will not loose my own customers of some other guys buck ups

Date Posted: 28/September/2004 at 4:03pm
You need guys you can trust for sure. I couldn't stop the CC myself until I hired my nephews to do the work. Then i sold them 51% of it so that they would keep doing it right without me needing to babysit them.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net