Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5543
Printed Date: 04/May/2024 at 4:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: when a tech breaks something
Posted By: Ken_Is_OK
Subject: when a tech breaks something
Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 11:26am
What do you guys do when an employee bumps into something with a company vehicle and damages it.

make him pay parts and labour?
make him pay parts only?
make him pay nothing?

what do you think?

Replies:
Posted By: FriendlyHammer
Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 11:51am
In the US the employer is, by law, required to pay, unless the person is contracted for the position. However, if they volunteer to pay, that's another issue.

Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 3:39pm
I had techs break vacuums, windows, damage trucks etc.

I never once made them pay, they might have been let go somewhere down the road because of a number of issues. Damage might have only been a peace of the pie.

I don't believe in making someone pay for damage when the are carring out their duties.

If they are a good tech and you make them pay they might be the one firing you.

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 8:01pm

the guy called me right away and said "I will work today for free AND pay for the repair" this was his exact words then he put it in an e-mail the next day.

he's only been with me for 3 months, is part time and a good worker.

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 8:12pm
now the only problem is the good worker doesn't have a good boss. what else is he supose to do he is afraid of losing his job? 

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 9:14pm
how did you come to this conclusion Dog? I didnt even say what I was going to do?

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 18/December/2008 at 10:15pm

As long as they report it to me and take responsibility for the damage. I would pay for itBig%20smile

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 7:54am
I guess this is one of the serious threads you were talking about.  I am used to seeing threads like the on the red bored where I swear some of those idiots have their wive's dress them in the morning? The fact you had to ask a question like that is enough for me.  This must be a GTA thing?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 7:55am
thanks cmaster you're the most helpful bro on this site. i'm nominating you for a KK award.

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 8:04am
I think everyone gave you that answer. I guess you had to read it moere than once?

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: cleanex
Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 8:21am
Doug, how deep is the snow in your region, snowing real good here right now, looks like one of those days, will be hard to keep on our schedule to day. One thing for sure no one will call to re-schedule their cleanings

-------------
DON ELDRED
YOU CAN "STAND" ON OUR REPUTATION

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 10:52am
I had employees break so many things it's unreal, from dishes, chairs, windows, doors, railings, toilets, sinks, water pipes,  to scratched cars , furniture, ruined sofa fabrics, drapes, radios...........wow....the list goes on ...........I ALWAYS PAID, LAUGHED ABOUT IT AND WENT ON WITH MY DAY. As long as NO PERSON gets hurt...............all the rest is just JUNK.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by cleanex cleanex wrote:

Doug, how deep is the snow in your region, snowing real good here right now, looks like one of those days, will be hard to keep on our schedule to day. One thing for sure no one will call to re-schedule their cleanings

Don we have got about 8" to 10" since 8 this morning schools closed can't see squat nothing moving today.

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 1:12pm
If the tech denies guilt when the evidence indicates otherwise, he's fired.  If he admits to it, he's got high enough ethics for me.

As to making him pay, I remember that there are courts for judges to make those decisions and if I want to pursue it then I would allow them to decide if and how much.  The tech earns his pay and gets it.  These I treat as separate issues which is required by law where I come from.  I see this as a law that makes sense.  First you pay him, then from the money he now has I can attempt to recover my losses.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 3:23pm
Part of doing business

-------------
DON ELDRED

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 3:51pm
Americans and their laws. We have none of that in Ontario.

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 4:54pm
Fire someone and if they go to Labour Relations you will find out what laws we have in Ontario----PLENTY

-------------
DON ELDRED

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 6:34pm
So fire the guy and find out what happens.

Or be a big boy and suck it up!

-------------

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 6:39pm
I fired many in my 20+ years of self employment and management.
Never once had an issue.
If no union and you give them their pay, that's all she wrote.
Let them cry to who ever they want.
Never let staff document more than  you.

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 7:21pm
So I guess nobody told you what you wanted to here. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 8:41pm
The question was "What do you guys do"
nothing more or less, not "what should I do?"
some answered the question and some did not.
The answers DID however assist me in how I am going to deal with this specific case.

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

I guess this is one of the serious threads you were talking about.  I am used to seeing threads like the on the red bored where I swear some of those idiots have their wive's dress them in the morning? The fact you had to ask a question like that is enough for me.  This must be a GTA thing?

Doug
did you think I was asking for your advice?LOLLOLLOLLOL%20Wave

Date Posted: 19/December/2008 at 8:47pm

now the only problem is the good worker doesn't have a good boss. what else is he supose to do he is afraid of losing his job? 

See Doug this was your first reply, do you think it contributed in a positive or helpful manner? DeadDead

Posted By: FriendlyHammer
Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 12:23am
Seems like my hardest working people are the same ones that offer to pay for damages themselves. Those are the same people I am willing to pay way above market for their wages, as it turns out. 

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 7:58am

I agree with Hammer

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Ken_Is_OK Ken_Is_OK wrote:

The question was "What do you guys do"
nothing more or less, not "what should I do?"
some answered the question and some did not.
The answers DID however assist me in how I am going to deal with this specific case.
Well ken how did you deal with them over the last 20 years?
Like i said this is something that would showup on the red board where evevyone resides in LA LA Land.
From what i read most of the people on this board respect their employees as they are the backbone of their business. In your case. Well you answered that yourself?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 2:14pm
Doug
Even though your opinion is not helpfull at all, I'm glad you got it off your chest.
Anything else to add?

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 2:26pm

We outlawed slavery in the 1860s, regardless of race, age, gender or religious beliefs.  Between the efforts of the AFL/CIO and the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) putting pressure on legislators the working stiff has a fighting chance and the courts almost always rule in favor of the little guy.

Businesses need laws to serve as guidelines.  Otherwise what you have is the wild west.  Just as law and order go hand in hand do does lawless and disorder.

This message has been brought to you by America.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:29pm
i don't think so. besides what good would it do??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by duckcountry duckcountry wrote:

We outlawed slavery in the 1860s, regardless of race, age, gender or religious beliefs.  Between the efforts of the AFL/CIO and the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) putting pressure on legislators the working stiff has a fighting chance and the courts almost always rule in favor of the little guy.

Businesses need laws to serve as guidelines.  Otherwise what you have is the wild west.  Just as law and order go hand in hand do does lawless and disorder.

This message has been brought to you by America.

good thing Canada was here for your grand fathers slaves before you outlaw slavery.Clap

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:45pm
I think he's trying to find supporters of his view to somehow legitimize it.  I just don't believe the man is open minded on this subject.

If anyone invites my feedback they should not counter with a defensive posture.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:46pm

i don't think so. besides what good would it do??
 if you ever have any advice please chime in but your opinion is worth sweetfucall

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by duckcountry duckcountry wrote:

I think he's trying to find supporters of his view to somehow legitimize it.  I just don't believe the man is open minded on this subject.

If anyone invites my feedback they should not counter with a defensive posture.

where did I offer my "view"??? are you on drugs or bad meds?

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:49pm

a few of you made up "my view" in your Dlimonene-prekleen-enzall-dryslurry infested headsGeek

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 3:58pm
congratulations Ken is OK?? You have proved one thing to us with all this. some people have to wrok very hard to be as A**HOLE but to you as you have proved it just comes natural?  someone like you who feels they already know it all are a bigger threat to themselves than those around them. 

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 20/December/2008 at 4:06pm
doug is it too quiet in the doug forum today?
nobody over there asking for your expert advice?

Posted By: LilNiteRidrhood
Date Posted: 23/December/2008 at 6:07pm

In Ontario you cannot deduct these things from his cheque unless there is some form of written agreement.

In most cases your agreement will be disregarded by Labour Relations.

At the Ministry of Labour the Employer is guilty until proven innocent.

Don hit it on the head with his post.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net