Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to Upholstery Cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=378
Printed Date: 28/March/2024 at 11:15am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: pre-spraying
Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Subject: pre-spraying
Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 8:07pm

Just wondering How do you guys Pre-spray your furniture????I always use the Hydro force....which seems to be over the top...but it works for me???

how do you put on Haitian cotton...do you use a bucket ???

Replies:
Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 8:21pm
Mr. Steamer;  I haven't had 2 hatian cotton couches in over 20 years.  where do you find these relicks of the 80's.  Most of them just have the appearance of cotton but are synthetic.  But we are in different worlds.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 10:12pm

The best I find is the one quart jug with the thumb pump on it and a varied mist spray. You can get them at the garden center CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

Don't buy them from KK too expensive.

But find a garden center close...as the cheap ones don't last and with the price of gas.

When you use a Hydroforce you must also spray the pictures on the walls at the same time.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 10:41pm

Ted: The ones at the garden center don't last for long......the real ones work much better.....

doug: I use Haitian on most white furniture...50% cotton....

You know when you wet the cotton...you can see the little seeds... because it hasn't been mercerized like a cotton shirt....

Bahamas likes to use 100% natural cotton...the trick is try and clean it as even as possible..... the soap must go on even and it must be extracted even

Date Posted: 11/May/2004 at 11:40am

Mr. Steamer;  Hydro Force!! I would hazard to guess that overwetting is not a problem?  I can see using Hatian Cotton cleaner to stop any browning from the amount of cleaner and the amount of rinse to remove it all.  Have you ever had a problem with a piece of furniture drying like sand paper because of the amount of cleaner?  I guess the Haitian cotton cleaner should fix that.  I think there would be a large amount of wasted upholstery cleaner becaues of over application.  But who am I to question.  If it works all the better for you.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 12/May/2004 at 1:50pm
Doug... you can't get even flow with a spray bottle....you get patchy results... thanks for not flaming me...I have never browned or wrecked a piece of furniture...It's something that can not be taught in a class...I guess it comes with experience

Date Posted: 12/May/2004 at 3:03pm
Mr. Steamer:  I have used a hydro force sprayer on upholstery myself.  I don't reccommend it but I have had to use it on very heavily soiled pieces of furniture before when I knew a small sprayer would not cut it. It is a tool of the trade.  Sometimes I would like to trade it in but HA What Can I say.  That hasn't already been said.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 12/May/2004 at 10:48pm
I use it on everything....but I am a master

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 6:47am

Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

I use it on everything....but I am a master

Mr. Steamer: You are the Master.  You should raise dew worms and sell the for bait to fishermen than you would be a Master Baiter.  Just one more Master title to add to your certificate.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 6:58am

naawww... That would make me Jack of all.....Master of none...

I just think of the MILLIONS......and MILLIONS of things I've cleaned over the years... never had to replace onething EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that alone speaks for itself

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 8:26am

naawww... That would make me Jack of all.....Master of none...

that alone speaks for itself

Mr. Steamer:  That would a jack of offf  Master of oneGuitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 4:07pm

I'm sure I've been in more homes than you have douggie boy...cleaned more carpet than you...cleaned more furniture than you...pull more hose than you...

You remind me of Jed from the Beverly hill billies.....stay in the bush with your black gold....

and I'll stay up here in Berverly

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 4:56pm
Mr. Stemer:  Thats where we differ. I work on quality and you work on quantity.  We all can't all live in the city. OH I have to quit because I am not suppose say anything bad about the GTA.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 10:24pm

no no no my son... I work on quantities of quality.... I do work in the best and biggest homes all through the GTA... with some of the finest furniture you've ever seen... so don't talk to me about quality...

In your one horse town I'm sure you've cleaned good stuff...but how often.

when I leave this game they are going to bronze my wand and hand tool

experience my son experience

Posted By: Adwa
Date Posted: 13/May/2004 at 11:37pm

You have a long memory Doug and your good, you always seem to get your digs in sooner or later. 

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com - http://www.kleenkuip.com

Date Posted: 14/May/2004 at 7:22am
Mr. Steamer:  I forgot I think you sub contract for a company that charged about $69.00 for a couch and maybe a chair right?  Oh yes loose backed cushions a specialty fabrics extra right?  From what I have seen if it has any material on it at all it is a specialty fabric right?  I guess that explains the hydro force for all those specialty fabrics right??? Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/May/2004 at 11:54pm
69 for couch no chair...and yes the extras....I don't do their work because I love it...I have obligations to meet.  The hydro force works wonderful to me...I don't recommend it for anyone else unless you've been trained by me..... There are many reasons I use it...but I don't need to give away all my secrets

Date Posted: 15/May/2004 at 8:14am
Mr. Steamer:  I do believe you do do an excellent job.  You don't have to sell me on your quality of work!!!  Just one thing was your mouth big enough when you were born to fit a wand and hand tool In.  Unfortunately we all don't get to choose our market place in real life.  We just have to make the best from the hand we were dealt.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 8:15pm
It's up to you to change your market.......... I bet I get a lot more winter work than most people do....ask me why????

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 9:07pm

Why Steamer?????????????? and it better be good, I don't want to here how great you are. You have already rammed that down our throats.

We are starting to agree that you are and we haven't even seen your work. Good sales job your doing. 

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 10:29pm

I always promote the quicker drying time in the winter....

I also promote the ease of same day appointments or getting done right when you need(because its a lot slower)

I also promote cleaner air  environment in the winter while the windows are all shut up.

I also recommend cleaning for a house that has a lot of static in the winter.

It has definitely boosted my number of calls these past winters... I have winter customers now... That call me every year in the winter..

you don't want to convert all... just enough to have a steady flow all year round

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 10:37pm

Very good Steamer!!!

I'm surprised you are letting another one of your secrets out.

Now what chemicals do you use to reduce the static electricity in the home and do you use enviro chemicals, or are you going to stick to the standard answer of soap & water again.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 10:42pm

soap and water adwa... soap and water... the cleaning it self does the job... you can use your fancy chemicals... thats only a money grab on the customers....

I guess thats our job.... to grab that customers money

Posted By: Americancarpet
Date Posted: 26/September/2004 at 9:27pm

Hey steamer...long time no see. My computer has been down so I've missed out on a lot of stuff lately. I have a couple of ???'s for ya.

I'm looking for a kick ass pre-spray that is AFFORDABLE. Something that once you let it dwell a short time will make the work a lot easier. I'm also trying to get into the uphostery cleaning business. What's a good "all round" pre-spray" for general fabric. Thanks friend. You can email me at mailto:Americancarpet@excite.com - Americancarpet@excite.com

Also...check out my website now. http://www.AmericanCarpets.net - www.AmericanCarpets.net

Later Tomater!

Mike

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 15/March/2005 at 5:05pm
pumpup

Posted By: hcdave5150
Date Posted: 13/July/2005 at 6:39am

Prespray in a backpack sprayer or my portable solution tanks i jut dont like to waist time with the other sprayers. I like to have an even spray on the entire sofa, thats hard to do with the little sprayers.

If i use Haitian cotton i put it in with my pre spray. then spray it down afterwards and let it sit in the sun. All depends on how tore back it looks

Date Posted: 16/July/2005 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by hcdave5150 hcdave5150 wrote:

Prespray in a backpack sprayer or my portable solution tanks i jut dont like to waist time with the other sprayers. I like to have an even spray on the entire sofa, thats hard to do with the little sprayers.

If i use Haitian cotton i put it in with my pre spray. then spray it down afterwards and let it sit in the sun. All depends on how tore back it looks

sounds like you know what your doing....   but just got to watch for buttons and wood

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: hcdave5150
Date Posted: 21/July/2005 at 11:16pm

Sorry Mr.Steamer

When i make a post ill be sure to write down all the steps and do's and dont's and ill include all the details.

Date Posted: 30/July/2005 at 9:32am
I thought it was buttons and bows and boots and saddles. I am confused about buttons on wood???

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 9:15am
buttons and wood

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 11:15am
Do up your buttons before you start and hide your wood.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 12:07pm
this area is for serious post only doug... none of your doug foolery here

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 12:24pm
Mr. Steamer: I can't help it f you have a problem with your woodie??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 6:35pm
keep these kind of post to your foolishness section

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 8:56pm
Well post something serious?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 10:32pm
like what you first

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 31/July/2005 at 11:22pm
should I use op , hwe or host to clean my cabbage patch doll named Earl??

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 1:47am
I'm going with Capture on that one

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 8:16am
He hasn't escaped yet?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 9:53am
When he does, he'll already be captured

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 10:05am
Problem solved Doug.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 11:28am

was that an insult????

Doug Mr. God UR Rich

are you insulting ME!

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 12:25pm
What would eve give you that idea?? this is a serious thread.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/August/2005 at 1:37pm
I'm taking a lunch break.........NO WORK TODAY GUYS????????Nah, nah

Date Posted: 02/August/2005 at 3:20am

I had a helper do a sofa with the buttons on the back. Went out to the van to mix some pre-spray and came back he was extracting the front of the sofa....where your back would lay and it had the buttons...

Well he snaged one and ripped it off....    Shocked     It rolled forward and stopped right smack dab in front of the customers feet....  Unhappy  He happen to just walk in to watch.....How embarrasing.......  I told him to slow down......

Date Posted: 02/August/2005 at 9:08am

the problem with buttons... most of then are made with metal backings...

and when you clean they might rust

the problem with wood framing is basically the same thing

wood rust

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 02/August/2005 at 4:07pm
If you didn't overwet and kept your ph down you wouldn't have that problem.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 02/August/2005 at 4:30pm
So I guess the sodium hydroxide upholstery pre spray is a bad choice then?

Posted By: Doggfather
Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 8:38pm
    This is how I clean uholstery everytime, its safe and looks professional.

1. Need to mix chemicals approriate, in a bucket mix a gallon of water with 1 oz boost all, stir well, 2oz. buff all, mix well, and 6 oz of fabric shampoo. Then add to a small hand spray with a foaming tip on it.

2. For the extraction tool, I use the dry master upholstery tool, and mix 1 oz boost all, 2oz buff all, and 6oz fab clean.

3. Apply an even amount of dye lock of your chose to fabric and wipe off lightly with a white towel.

4. Shake prespray well, then foam some on your horse hair brush, lightly apply to sofa (dont scrub in, but light aggitation).

5. Again wipe off with white clothe.

6. Extract with your portable or truckmount with dry upholstery tool.

7. Air mover to speed up drying, I never leave a job with wet upholstery.

8. If its not clean enough, and its a natural fabric, you may repeat if necessary, but would not use harsher chemicals, and maybe aggitate a little more with a little longer dwell time.

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 9:01pm
Why mix a witch's brew each time you clean upholstery?

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 9:11pm
I was confused after step #2      

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 9:47pm
He charges $40/ft for that process

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 9:54pm
RED BORED

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 10:02pm
Better him than me

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 10:10pm
All you need is lee to make sure you are dressed properly to mix that hazardous waste?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 11:12pm
Can we go back to step #1      

-------------

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 11:20pm
Sure. Print it out and read it slowly

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 11:33pm
I get lost after the bucket step!      

-------------

Date Posted: 05/April/2007 at 11:39pm
Skip it then

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 12:01am
I thought most you carpet cleaners just mist and vac

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 12:07am
Nope. We drive by. Learned from the best

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:06am
I wonder if he does step #3 on synthetics?    

-------------

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:13am
You don't want the dye to run

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:30am
Cleaning with a ph of 15 the dye will run?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 12:02pm
No problem that bleach won't fix

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Cleaning with a ph of 15 the dye will run?

Nothing like a good prespray

-------------

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 1:56pm
get rid of all those unwanted colours?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 2:48pm
dye lock & load ......

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:11pm
    The reason for such a heavy mixture is to prevents many incidents from happening. The boost all is and additive cleaner to make the fabric brighter and look cleaner, but since boost all also raises the ph lvl, you need to use buff all to neutralize that. Also buff all is great to help reduce the chances of browning from occuring. Its just a safe way to clean upholstery and customers will be impressed. LOL just go to a class and learn the science instead of wet and jet.

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:21pm
    If there is a lot of colors in the fabric then yes I will still use dye loc on it. Even with synthetics, colors can still crock or bleed. Better to be safe than sorry. It takes 2 minutes to do it, and when you wipe the dye loc, you will get your first visual on just how dirty your sofa is, and if the customer is watching, he/she will be impressed.

Date Posted: 06/April/2007 at 11:55pm
Never tried dyelock.. Usually test first on multicolors.

Date Posted: 07/April/2007 at 9:35am
Well Doggf**ker I have never been to a class where the instructor explained to everyone to go out save a couple of bucks buy all you chemicals in bulk then mix all your own cleaning chems in a bucket? I will agree with some additves when necessary but if I had to mix all my cleaners everyday I would find something else to do?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 07/April/2007 at 10:00am
Like retire?

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 07/April/2007 at 10:52am
    LOL, you dont have to do that chemical mix everytime, You can just use Fabric Shampoo only, and rinse with Fab Clean. I just like to add additives for extra cleaning. Yea it does take forever to mix an ounce of boost all, like a minute, if your that impatient then you shouldn't be cleaning upholstery anyways. On a cheap to regular sofa, I may not use such a recipe, but when its dirty and I have any doubt in the cleaning, I will use that recipe. The mixing of the chemicals is not time consuming at all. And I mentions 4 chemicals: Boost All, Buff All, Fabric Shampoo, and Fab Clean. And when you clean upholstery you dont have to mix in a bucket if you dont want to, you can measure out the correct ounces for the sprayer of your choice. But usually my technicians will not even use a sprayer, they will just whip up the foam in the bucket and pick it up with a brush. Good Enough is the Enemy of Excellence, do it right the first time everytime.

Posted By: ChemicallyFried
Date Posted: 13/December/2007 at 9:55pm
ShockedCareful with that hydro sprayer on upholstery.  Sometimes if you got a spill that went deep into the cushion and you wet it all the way to the cushion, the stain reaapears after you leave.  Always light prespray upholstery and extract really well unless you want to get called for a return visit extract. 

-------------
I can remove more spots than you can.

Date Posted: 14/December/2007 at 9:06am
    Well you dont actually spray using the hydro force sprayer. You use the foaming tip on the sprayer and foam your chemical on the horse hair brush, then lightly aggitate it in. If its a cheap couch, then I will just lightly spray it on without foaming tip to speed up the process.

Posted By: B Rice
Date Posted: 18/February/2008 at 3:03pm
crazy!

-------------
http://www.PanhandleFloorCare.com - http://www.PanhandleFloorCare.com
http://www.Pensacola-Carpet-Cleaning.com - http://www.Pensacola-Carpet-Cleaning.com

Posted By: carla4297
Date Posted: 22/October/2008 at 4:16am

Doug... you can't get even flow with a spray bottle....you get patchy results... thanks for not flaming me...I have never browned or wrecked a piece of furniture...It's something that can not be taught in a class...I guess it comes with experience

Yep, hydro force is definitely the way to go. Use it, like it, keep it! :-)

Cheers, Carla

-------------
Do it fast, do it right!

Date Posted: 22/October/2008 at 10:07am
With the right tip pumpups will spray evenly..

Posted By: prouddadx3
Date Posted: 13/November/2008 at 9:12pm
I've used trigger sprayers from Home Depot for furniture and I just overlap my spray. I use a self neutralizing furniture spray from Masterblend and I have never had any problems. For carpets the hydro sprayer is the fastest and easiest.

http://www.colorado-carpet-masters.com/carpetcleaningBoulder.htm - http://www.colorado-carpet-masters.com/carpetcleaningBoulder.htm

-------------

http://maps.google.com/coupons/page?oi=lbc&did=0_14019921871367697693&cid=RF0IMWO26GG3CFHL&hl=en-US&gl=US - Boulder carpet cleaning Coupons

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 14/November/2008 at 1:29am
I use chapin units I get from Jerry's which although it is local only beats out Home Depot and Lowes since we deal with local people and not corporations that leech profit centers by sending them to a far away office.

These are great and you can get different nozzles for them.  Available in up to 3 gallons.

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Posted By: tokmik
Date Posted: 19/March/2009 at 3:49am
I have used a hydro force sprayer on upholstery myself. I don't reccommend it but I have had to use it on very heavily soiled pieces of furniture before when I knew a small sprayer would not cut it. It is a tool of the trade. Sometimes I would like to trade it in but HA What Can I say. That hasn't already been said.

- Chandler Carpet Cleaning

Date Posted: 19/March/2009 at 11:02am
Hey duck i have a older model 1300 Chapin 3gal.. Cant find parts.. I need the whole plunger.. Metal tank last forever.. A web search didnt reveal anything..

Thanks if you know.. Big%20smile

Big%20smile Cool Approve Big%20smile

Date Posted: 21/March/2009 at 2:44pm
John it sounds like everything you possess is an antique???

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 21/March/2009 at 5:56pm
Time to get out of the '70'sLOL

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 21/March/2009 at 6:20pm
Thanks guys for the comments.. I like keeping all cleaning related equiptment.. Big%20smile

Posted By: LArugcleaning
Date Posted: 09/August/2010 at 10:13pm

Hi,

Haitian cotton is a unique type of 100 percent cotton upholstery fabric. The cotton fibers are only partially processed, which leaves brown dots of shredded seed and stem and creates a coarse, textured fabric.
 The fabric has a natural, earthy appearance due to the bits of seed and stem, but the seeds also create a cleaning challenge for owners of the furniture covered with Haitian cotton.
 Plain water creates a chemical reaction when mixed with the seed particles, resulting in semi-permanent brown stains.

Posted By: les21
Date Posted: 13/September/2010 at 6:26pm
Battery sprayer for me. Works just fine plus looks more professinal than a pump up :)

Date Posted: 13/September/2010 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by LArugcleaning LArugcleaning wrote:

Hi,

Haitian cotton is a unique type of 100 percent cotton upholstery fabric. The cotton fibers are only partially processed, which leaves brown dots of shredded seed and stem and creates a coarse, textured fabric.
 The fabric has a natural, earthy appearance due to the bits of seed and stem, but the seeds also create a cleaning challenge for owners of the furniture covered with Haitian cotton.
 Plain water creates a chemical reaction when mixed with the seed particles, resulting in semi-permanent brown stains.

And what about it? Its one fabric i woundn't HWE......Confused

Posted By: eclipse
Date Posted: 14/September/2010 at 9:27pm
ANY CHEMICAL SUPPLY HOUSE SELLS HAND PUMP SPRAYER'S FOR UPHOLSTERY CLEANING.

Posted By: westcovina
Date Posted: 15/January/2011 at 1:36pm
I try to pre spray only when necessary. I do however pre vac every piece I clean.

-------------
http://www.example.com - http://www.carpet-cleaning-pasadena-ca.com/

Posted By: nathan112
Date Posted: 23/August/2011 at 1:08am
can i clean micro fiber ???

-------------
http://www.greenhome-services.com/ - carpet cleaning sacramento

Posted By: Lars
Date Posted: 09/November/2014 at 2:48pm
We use pump up sprayers. They have better control and accuracy when working around furniture and cleaning upholstery.

Posted By: cleaningheroes
Date Posted: 11/November/2014 at 11:06pm
We use a variety of methods depending on the type of fabric, color fastness and soiling level. Our primary method is a small 2-quart pump sprayer with a foaming tip. We then agitate with a natural sponge or a horse hair brush. This works for 95% of synthetic fabrics. 

For more sensitive fabrics, such as Haitian cotton or other natural materials, we tend to use a bucket and whip the solution into a foam. Using a natural sponge, we apply the foam to the fabric and then rinse, extract and dry quickly using towels.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net