Forum Description: General discussion on anything related to carpet cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3278
Printed Date: 05/June/2024 at 9:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3" Vac Hose?
Posted By: dennis_is_ok
Subject: 3" Vac Hose?
Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 9:59pm
How long before the 3" vac hose is introduced?
People are now using 2.5"
but before you answer this query, first tell me if it is a good idea to use 2" hose with a porty?

the set up would be 1.5" at the machine and wand with an adapter to go to 2" hose

thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 10:45pm
The answer is no, Dennis. The volume of air that moves with most porty's is not enough to keep the speed high enough to keep water and soil suspended.

Now for your main question. Never. 3" hose has a flow capacity of over 1000 cfm. Unfortunatly the wand even with the glide on can not do more than 200 cfm. Total waste.

The 2.5" hose is not needed either by the way by the great majority off cleaners for the same reason.700 cfm of flow capacity is not going to do much good is the wand is limited to 200 cfms. The standard 2" hose with the 500 cfm capacity does just fine. Why is it being sold. A sucker is born every minute, so why should not someone profit from it?

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 10:57pm
I disagree on that one. The bigger the hose, the more airflow you will get to the wand. I haven't tried 2.5 yet, but I plan to in the spring. Just the first 50' from the truck. I think my dry times will decrease

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: pilediver
Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 11:09pm
Does anyone wonder if a 3" hose would be hard to handle and heavy. Can you imagine the CFM you would have to have to generate effective vacuum. Your talking Hibon adn I-R blowers now.

-------------
http://www.expertcarpetcare.ca>Carpet Cleaning in Victoria BC

Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 11:17pm
There are some pretty flexible hoses out there. Greenie knows which ones. Probably take up a lot of space on a hose reel

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 12/December/2006 at 11:22pm
so then is 1.25 better than 1.5

Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

The answer is no, Dennis. The volume of air that moves with most porty's is not enough to keep the speed high enough to keep water and soil suspended.

Now for your main question. Never. 3" hose has a flow capacity of over 1000 cfm. Unfortunatly the wand even with the glide on can not do more than 200 cfm. Total waste.

The 2.5" hose is not needed either by the way by the great majority off cleaners for the same reason.700 cfm of flow capacity is not going to do much good is the wand is limited to 200 cfms. The standard 2" hose with the 500 cfm capacity does just fine. Why is it being sold. A sucker is born every minute, so why should not someone profit from it?

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 12:06am
For machines that only have vacs in series and do not need more than 25 ft of hose, 1.25" hose is better. The simple fact is most of these machines do not generate more than 30 cfm when the wand is one the floor. 1.25" hose can flow near 200 cfms. But since 1.5" hose costs less per foot, most manufacturers give you that one anyway.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 12:13am
The standard 2" hose with the 500 cfm capacity does just fine. Why is it being sold. A sucker is born every minute, so why should not someone profit from it?

I disagree on that one. The bigger the hose, the more airflow you will get to the wand. I haven't tried 2.5 yet, but I plan to in the spring. Just the first 50' from the truck.

See what I mean?What cleaners do not understand is that if the machine that one is using is a Cleanco with the standard 45 Roots blower in it, turning at the standard 2400 rpms that Cleanco's turn them, then you only produce 240 CFMs at the blower anyway.YOU CANNOT GENERATE MORE CFM BY STICKING A BIGGER HOSE ON IT!You also do not have much drag from frictional losses if you are moving less than 50% of the flow that the hose can handle under maximum flow conditions. 50% of 500 cfms is 250 cfm. Almost nobody in the industry has this much cfm of airflow going through their vacuum hose while wanding carpets, except some of the large blowered machines that are using 14"wide, 2" tubed wands with our Superglides on them.Then they might be at 300 cfms or so.Foor everyone else, forgetaboutit!

Some suckers(carpet cleaners) think that it makes sense to have a channel(hose)that flows 700 cfms to a hole in the dyke(wand's WCI)that only flows 200 cfms.That means you could have a hose that can flow 2000 cfm(5" hose), and it STILL can NOT move more than the 200 cfm that the wand will let thru it when it is working on the carpet. It never occurs to them that a chain can not be stronger than it's weakest link.

There will always be a salesman ready to sell these simple minded suckers something they don't need. That is the basis of the free enterprise system!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 2:43am
We'll see after I try it. Theory and reality are 2 different worlds

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 3:24am
Kenny is 100% right on the money..............he knows his stuff. Try connecting a 5 or 6 inch kitchen hood ventilation pipe on your truckmount or porty...............and see what happens.................you need one hell of a blower to handle 3" or more. Maybe my 6.9 Roots can do it but only on a single wand operation.

Nightrider

Posted By: Mr. Slide
Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 3:50am
Everywhere I go I leave them
in a state of SHOCK!!!

2 inch hoses ROCK,ROCK,ROCK!!!!

MAXX470SmokeySMOKEN!

Everything else is
                                       just a girly machine!LOL 

-------------
http://qcsliders.com - http://qcsliders.com
!!!Check this out!!!
Put a Slide Not a Glide on your Wand, and do a better job!

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 11:45am
Originally posted by cmaster cmaster wrote:

We'll see after I try it. Theory and reality are 2 different worlds

If theory has been proven to be fact, as this has, it is no longer just theory. it IS REALITY.Sceptics that don't want to face reality, always take the position that the topic in discussion is in doubt, so as to give the appearence that they just might know what they are talking about, which sadly is usually not the case either.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 12:38pm
so then is 1" hose better??? how about 0.5" or 0.75"

really then what is the ultimate hose?

For machines that only have vacs in series and do not need more than 25 ft of hose, 1.25" hose is better. The simple fact is most of these machines do not generate more than 30 cfm when the wand is one the floor. 1.25" hose can flow near 200 cfms. But since 1.5" hose costs less per foot, most manufacturers give you that one anyway.

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by dennis_is_ok dennis_is_ok wrote:

so then is 1" hose better??? how about 0.5" or 0.75"

really then what is the ultimate hose?

Dennis: The ultimate hose is the one that best suits what you want to use it for. For machines that operate with less than 50cfms in use conditions and need to go no more than 25 ft, that hose size is 1.25". Manufacturers of the built in vacuums know this , and that is why they equip their systems with this diameter of hose. They have done all the tests. If their equipment worked noticeably better with 1.5" hose compared to the 1.25" hose, that is what they would use.

Frictional lose only becomes noticeable when hose length goes beyond 25 ft or more. That is why the Ninja extractors get 1.5" hose. Manufacturers know that some cleaners will run 50 ft of hose with it. The 1.5" is superior to the 1.25" hose at that length, because with 2 vac motors in series, the power is there to go out that far. But dont ever think that the 30 to 40 cfms that a machine like that uses when working is enough to switch to 2" hose without droping performance. Air only moves thru 2" hose at 1/2 the speed of 1.5" hose, so unless you have a lot of it, you will not benefit from its use.How much airflow do you need to use 2" hose for 50 ft or more? My tests indicate that 60 cfm or more is enough to start to see an improvement. You will never see that from a Ninja unless it has been heavily modified into a 3 or 4 vac machine.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

Kenny is 100% right on the money..............he knows his stuff. Try connecting a 5 or 6 inch kitchen hood ventilation pipe on your truckmount or porty...............and see what happens.................you need one hell of a blower to handle 3" or more. Maybe my 6.9 Roots can do it but only on a single wand operation.

Nightrider

I will say that there is some improvement to be gained with 2.5" hose on the big blower machines like Jack has. The 68 blower he has is capable of over 700 cfm at high lift.Improve the flow by going with the bigger hose would increase suction for him, but I doubt if the wand could be used without a glide on it.

Likewise, people that have #47, #56, and #59 blowers would all see improvement in flow as well, as long as the wands had glides on them to allow flow rates to exceed 200 cfms at the WCI. My Cleanco with the 47 blower in it was able to move the cfm up from 247 cfms to 262 cfms just by changing the first 50 ft to 2.5" hose.That is running 2" hose direct connected to a titanium wand with Superglide on it.

That said, those running #3.2, #36, or #45 blowers with 1.5" tubed wands with 25 ft whip hoses will not see the 15 or more cfm increase the bigger blower units will see.

But that will not stop me from selling you this hose if you want it. I sell mine for $159US with delivery included if you live in the USA. I figure if you want to buy after I have warned you that it may not increase the performance as much as some tell you it will, is your God given right. Who am I to say no?

BTW, any Canadians wanting this hose in Canada can get it too, but brokerage, shipping, and exchange will push the price up to $250 Cdn plus tax(gst)

-------------

Posted By: splash_$$$_dash
Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 2:31pm
SOME portables now come equip with 2"
but I don't think ninja does.

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 2:44pm
Splash: Our new Beastmaster portable, coming out next Spring, is equipped with the 2" hose as standard equipment cause it has 4 vacuum motors. If we advertised that the same way everyone else does by adding the 100 cfm on open flow from each motor, we would call it a 400 cfm machine. That is the strongest you can get anywhere. But if you measure it's cfm with the wand on the carpet, it will be about 100 cfm. That still is going to make it 3X more than a standard Ninja(2 -2 stages) that tests out around 30 to 35 cfms in use.That will also exceed the cfms available from most of the 3 vac motor machines being sold today as well, since none of them can get much more than 60 cfms in stock form when tested under use conditions as well.

Possible exception to this is the Scorpion, a 230 volt machine sold in the UK. In fairness to Ed Valentine, I will not include this in my preceding statement, because I have not tested it, and it may very well be more powerful than other 3 vac motor machines that are on 110 volt power. But I would say that the Beastmaster and the Scorpion will be the 2 strongest portables that money can buy next year.

Unfortunatly, the Beastmaster portable will not be sold in Canada because of the difficulty in any machine being sold that has 2 cords on it getting CSA certifation. But at least the USA market will get it.

NEW LOWER PRICED HYPER BOX COMING SOON:

There is some good news for Canadian Cleaners however.
Next year we are going to offer a vacuum booster for Ninja owners called the Hyperbox. It will take your stock machine with 2 vac motors and turn it into a 4 vac monster portable almost as powerful as the larger Beastmaster. We will do this in the USA as well after it is first offered in Canada. The first distributor to offer this will be located in the GTA. We will be selling this from our site as well.

Price will only be $599 Cdn,an unheard of price for a device that basically will come close to doubling the vacuum power of most Ninja machines, and a fraction of the price that other boosters cost.

Stay Tuned!

-------------

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 3:37pm
All you need is a 20,000 Watt generator to run it? or a 50hp Nissian?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 3:43pm
Nope.

All it will take to run the Beastmaster portable or the pimped Ninja machines is 2 - 15 amp circuits, as are commonly found in US cities. We also have a 230 volt Beastmaster portable for the European market as well, but that will not debut till sometime in the second half of 2007. Got to go thru the EU certification process which is not easy.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:05pm
A new bullsaga. It didn't even take a week

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:05pm
got my big boy 2" pmf wands today....BIG DIFFERENCE WOW

going 2" all the way is cool...but heavy....I also go free lips...but they don't work....I need a glide...

you got to have big hands to hold a 2" wand....little handed men need not apply

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:08pm
6'-2" Tall and 230 lbs should be big enough to handle it Steamer.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:11pm
I got the tall boy wand....14" wide 2" of fun...

but the lips didn't work

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:11pm

btw 250 lbs

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:13pm
You been gaining weight. I was remembering when you said 230 lbs 2 years back.

Is it the lips I sent you that you tryed?

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:38pm
no  I got lips free with purchase... I can only use one lip

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 5:40pm
Did you buy from Magic Wand? If you did, you got George's Magic lip glides. They are too thick and will not fit your wand. Should have bought them from me.Mine fit that wand. If not, costs you nothing.

Now you see that there is nothing magic about them. Lots of people throw them away and buy ours cause ours are thinner and still allow air to be drawn into the wand.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 6:31pm
250????
250 lb. man with no lips?? I guess the only thing that could be worse is a 250lb. man with no ba**s?
Steamer no wonder you got a 1 ton extended for that clean cold. It is not the unit that is the problem. That poor front end will collapse??Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 6:38pm
the funny thing is Kenny they are YOUR LIPS!!!!!!!!!lolololol

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 6:56pm
Steamer: That distributor does not have my lips. Besides, the lips I sent you were for a 12" wand, not a 14" wand. They are entirely different design than the ones you need for a 14" wand like you got.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 8:05pm
nope they are yours

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 8:19pm
They are still not the right glides for your wands. You need the Superlip glides. I sent you Ultralips.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 9:15pm
SGK, are you backpeddling again?

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 9:18pm
My main man said just to use one lip...to stop wand chatter on commercial carpet

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 11:14pm
One size fits all? Where's the box cutter?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 11:38pm
Don't forget the nail file

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 13/December/2006 at 11:48pm
chatter box???
lip file???

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 12:33am
OK. Show us the house trucks and the beastmaster.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Slide
Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 2:19am
All righty then!

Smokem if you
                                gottem !        Smokey 

-------------
http://qcsliders.com - http://qcsliders.com
!!!Check this out!!!
Put a Slide Not a Glide on your Wand, and do a better job!

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 2:56am
Originally posted by pilediver pilediver wrote:

OK. Show us the house trucks and the beastmaster.

Maybe you can work the Beastmaster into one of your episodes

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 10:22am
With the glide goof we have endless possiblities of fantasies.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 10:30am
Even without.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 2:13pm
Well, we are waiting for the BeastMaster and the service centers and your solar powered portable extractor 15 AMPS for all that BS. I guess it is like the other stuff a figment of your imagination. I guess the name BeastMaster came up as inspiration from your favorite pastimes besides BSing; bestiality and self-violation. Ya w**ker!

-------------

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 2:27pm
No Bob, that was not where it came from at all. Back in 2001, Bob Savage came out with a machine he called the Beast. I came out with a machine called the Beastmaster to complement the TM that I was making back then, called the Raptor. That is where the name came from.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 3:04pm
I think he got the name from Billy Bass the talking fish?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 4:31pm
Take me to the river 
Drop me in the water

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 4:45pm
Wasn't that fish a CARP?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 4:46pm
Could of been............................good theme song for SGK though!

-------------

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 4:47pm
Living off the river bottom sounds about right?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/December/2006 at 4:49pm
Drooling

-------------