Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to Upholstery Cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2444
Printed Date: 28/April/2024 at 6:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: $$$$$
Posted By: carpetologist
Subject: $$$$$
Date Posted: 06/March/2006 at 3:42pm

Is it not true that there are more chairs in the world than people. Yet our site and others draw little attention to this lucrative add-on for the carpet cleaner.

Most carpet cleaners complain about how slow it is yet have little or no interest in cleaning furniture.

We cancel more IIRCR Upholstery Schools than we hold from lack of interest.

If you are afraid...don't be.

Buy a http://www.kleenkuip.com/wands_and_hand_tools/stealth_dry_tool.htm - No Drip Stealth Tool and you are in business. Upholstery is a good business to promote in the slow winter months with discounts. There is less resistance to cleaning furniture as there is to carpets in the winter.

Every ass you see on the street has to sit in a chair.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Replies:
Posted By: ollie
Date Posted: 07/June/2006 at 7:17am
Hi Ted.

I can see that good money can be made in cleaning blinds .how much would you charge and can they be done right in the home. Is there any special cleaning agents to be used. Also what kind of blinds can be cleaned and what kind can't

Ollie

-------------
CLEANED YOUR WAY THE RIGHTWAY

Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 12:31pm
This is the 3rd best add on you can do. The only things that can pay you better for time spent are air duct cleaning and protector sales like scotchgard.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: thermedix
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 6:33pm
Duct cleaning, are you joking? Average time duct cleaning, 4 mailto:hrs.@$250/$300 - hrs (to do a proper job) @$250/$300 . Carpet cleaning, $130/$160.per hr.(avg), upholstery Cleaning, $125./$150 per hr. Flood clean up, $150hr.++++equip.rental. ,I believe duct cleaning as an add on is a losing proposition...not just my opinion, I bought the equipment and did it for 5 yrs., no money in it, sold the equipment..also, check your insurance, some companies will drop you if your doing duct cleaning and not a lisenced burner or gas mechanic.

-------------
It`s not how far you fall...it`s how high you bounce back up...

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 6:39pm
I agree. Not much money in duct cleaning if you spend the time and do a thorough jobOuch

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 6:42pm
THERE ARE ALSO MORE FEET THAN THERE ARE PEOPLE........SHOULD WE ALL GET INTO THE SHOE SHINE BUSINESS LOL

NIGHTRIDER

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by thermedix thermedix wrote:

Duct cleaning, are you joking? Average time duct cleaning, 4 mailto:hrs.@$250/$300 - hrs (to do a proper job) @$250/$300 . Carpet cleaning, $130/$160.per hr.(avg), upholstery Cleaning, $125./$150 per hr. Flood clean up, $150hr.++++equip.rental. ,I believe duct cleaning as an add on is a losing proposition...not just my opinion, I bought the equipment and did it for 5 yrs., no money in it, sold the equipment..also, check your insurance, some companies will drop you if your doing duct cleaning and not a lisenced burner or gas mechanic.

Nope. I am not joking. If you clean residential ducting the old, hard way, you WILL spend 4 hours to earn $300 in Canada, and you will NOT do as good a job as I or many of my customers can do in 2 hours using the Turboteck System. You would have only earned $75/hour for your time and spent an average of $10,000 for your equipment. No wonder you got out of it! lol

I would spend $2000 in total, including the video camera to show the quality of the job done, and got $300 for 2 hours work. Now $150/hr beats $75/hr everytime. Maybe that is why I have thousands of cleaners still using it? Yes, they do need a TM to use it right, but as long as they have that, they are making too much money to ever give it up.After the small equipment cost is paid, owner operators make 95% or better of every job they do. Who would give that up?

BTW: Direct Energy has told many of the furnace cleaners in the GTA that the Direct Brushing method that our system and the Cleanco system employ is the PREFERRED method to clean the duct systems because it does NOT affect the burners on the furnace systems. At an industry function I attended 4 years back, the owner of a large furnace cleaning company in town here, admited to me and a few others that the Direct Brush method was SUPERIOR in it's cleaning results compared to the large bag trucks his company used with their 12,000 cfm vacuum systems. He said he knew this because he had his own home cleaned by both, and that our system left it cleaner. When asked why he spent nearly $50,000 on each truck if he knew that, he replied that the customer expected the big truck, because THEY BELIEVE THAT BIGGER IS BETTER. In that is the reason that most use them. It has nothing to do with results obtained. it is EXPECTATIONS on the part of the consumer. That takes many years to change.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 7:24pm
There is no money in duct cleaning...the money is in the add-ons...

Air Conditioner coil cleaning...furnace cleaning....new filter...rebalancing...installing humidifiers and air cleaners...dry vent clean out.... the list goes on..

Posted By: Hammy
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 7:50pm
Seems like everyone and thier mother are cleaning ducts these days, almost as bad as carpet cleaning.

-------------
Could somebody just clean my carpets!

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 8:05pm
You are basically right Steamer, especially with the large systems. No add ons, no profit. Because our system only costs you $10 per house to do at most($2 for brush replacement, $8 for gas for 2 hours)you make 95% profit even if all you do is a $200 bill with NO ADD-ONS!

$200 bill -$10 in costs = $190 in gross profits

$190 profit/ $200 Job = 95% Gross Profit margin

That is the money you put in your pocket. Even if you never sold any add-ons to that house, you make money like a bandit with our system.

-------------

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 8:07pm
That's your system. I think they are talking about a real system?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 8:26pm
The only guys makeing any money with the big systems these days are basically franchises that end up with $500/job at the end of the job. That is what companies like Sears do. They sell lots of add ons to bump up the ticket to over $500 on average.They make good dollars doing that. We average $287/job with our system here in Calgary, with only electro-static filters sold as an add-on, and we make great money offering the service. Because nearly every job is done while the carpets are getting cleaned anyways, there is no extra costs getting to and from the jobs, cause the expense goes under the carpet cleaning . Our gross profit(without wages) is running at $259/job for an average of 1.5 hours time per job.

$259/$287 job ticket = 90% Gross margin(including filters sold).
$259 gross profit per job/ 1.5 hours = $172/hour

-------------

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

You are basically right Steamer, especially with the large systems. No add ons, no profit. Because our system only costs you $10 per house to do at most($2 for brush replacement, $8 for gas for 2 hours)you make 95% profit even if all you do is a $200 bill with NO ADD-ONS!

$200 bill -$10 in costs = $190 in gross profits

$190 profit/ $200 Job = 95% Gross Profit margin

That is the money you put in your pocket. Even if you never sold any add-ons to that house, you make money like a bandit with our system.

What about insurance, advertising, labour, etc. Those are not real profit margins.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 9:42pm
Hammy: Most owner operators do not take a wage, so I did not show labour. Deduct for $20/hr and it still looks good.Insurance is a fixed cost that is there regardless if you do the job or not.No advertising. You ask the carpet cleaning customer if they want the service while you are there.These are still the highest profits you can make per hour on a real net basis, except for one other: Scotchgard! I make $200/hr plus on the time applying that, but the time is so short, it is not as much as it sounds. Still the best carpet cleaners will make though cause you can sell more jobs on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 10:01pm
I'm sorry Kenny but I resectfully disagree. The problem with most cleaners is that they do not see the big picture. You cannot take those number and come up with that kind of profit margin, even if you are a owner operator. I understand that an upsell has a higher profit margin, however if you are a owner operator those sales go into the bottom line. Single man operations fool themselves into believing their profit margins.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Hammy Hammy wrote:

What about insurance, advertising, labour, etc. Those are not real profit margins.
he never takes those into account..lol shop cost, repair, office expenses and administration....etc etc etc..

don't do the math you'll cryCry 

Date Posted: 11/November/2006 at 10:18pm
Hammy: I will agree that I gave a very simplified description on the costs here. As a person that ran a book keeping service for 4 years, I could have made this much more complex and harder to understand by people that do not know how to read a P&L, but my point is compared to any other add-on that can be easily added for $2000 or less outside of protector sales, this is the most profitable, no matter what accounting method is used. The key to great profits is getting more from the CUSTOMERS THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 12:30am

SGK did say gross profit. However he did leave out labour, the biggest component of our costsShocked

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 1:40am
Originally posted by cmaster cmaster wrote:

SGK did say gross profit. However he did leave out labour, the biggest component of our costs[IMG]height=17 alt=Shocked src="http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

It is only the biggest componet if you are paying other people to do it Paul. If you do it, and pay your self a salary, it hardly counts as there is no incremental cost increase.

-------------

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 9:40am
Upholstery is where the money is at. I know it.Banana Dance

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 10:21am
It's a contender, and may even be the champ in those cities with lots of hihrises like NYC and the GTA. There are not any duct work to clean and people in high rises do not buy much protector for the carpets either. But they all have furniture that needs cleaning.$$$$$$$$$$$

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 10:33am
Yea in the GTA a sofa must be worth about $10.. to clean??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 10:50am
I think that might be a little on the high side Doug.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 11:09am
the prices are every where...some clean a sofa loveseat chair for 40 bucks

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 11:18am

Sounds fairLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 11:33am
fair for who...
the cleaner???
the customer???

I know it doesn't sound fair for me

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 11:37am
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

fair for who...
the cleaner???
the customer???

I know it doesn't sound fair for me

LOL. I would't even look at a combo for less than $150.00

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 2:24pm

Thats the going rate...  I get 120 in the GTA and we still get complaints

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 2:58pm
Thats probably why I don't clean upholstery anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 4:33pm
I clean them for $25 including gard?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 6:00pm
That's why Doug is so richThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 6:32pm
Yes..........GOD YER RICH. It all started with the town.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2006 at 6:59pm
No; they named the town after Doug.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 8:11am
DOUGUY!

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 12:14pm
Where is that town again??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 12:19pm
in the heart land of ontario...

the town with the man with 2 first names

Doug Guy

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 12:37pm
He must be chinesse?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 12:44pm
My guess if FrenchBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 3:16pm
Nightrider a combination of french & chinesse??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 13/November/2006 at 3:51pm
Now that's a mix or a mut Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 10:58am
Frineese??

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 2:08pm
Look at this NASTY ottoman... Her Sofa and loveseat were just as NASTY Before>> I will walk next time i see this.. It took 4.5 hours to do sofa,love,chair, ottoman and Living rm carpet....And only paid $150US

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carpetcleanottomanbeforku9.jpg">

Arms before >>>

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carpetcleanchairarmbefoif6.jpg">

After>>>

http://img63.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carpetcleanchairottomanmy5.jpg">

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 2:11pm
Nice job! She probably didn't go for the gard either??Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:00pm
wow 4.5 hours???

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:15pm
I think he overcharged!Evil Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:38pm
she didn't go for guard..Dead too bad so sad...

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:40pm
@ $33.00 an hour?? Not counting travel????Probably in a snow storm, Uphill there and uphill back home??  I think I seen those pics before?? But for $30 an hr??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 3:45pm
I bet the truckmount broke to!Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 5:07pm
It always does

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 5:09pm
Wouldn't want it any other way!Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 5:25pm
Do it , earn it, live it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 7:21pm
I did post tem before... Used the Recoil..

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 9:26pm
I had a couch like that this weekend. Sofa and love seat $140 I got the dirt out of it by spraying avenge upholstery cleaner by bridgepoint, no dilution just as it is. Then scrubbed it. It works wonders. The Ph is 0

-------------

Date Posted: 19/November/2006 at 11:58pm
Are you sure the pH is 0 and not 10?

Date Posted: 20/November/2006 at 12:05am
no its 0

-------------

Date Posted: 20/November/2006 at 10:25am
Actually, John means it is neutral, which means it is a 7 on the pH scale. If it was 0, it would be stronger than Nitric acid and would have dissolved both the couch and his hands.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/November/2006 at 12:38pm
BP Avenge HD pre spray is 10 pH.
Avenge is 7-7.5 pH.

Date Posted: 27/November/2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by jtuseo jtuseo wrote:

no its 0
SGK I think you are wrong? John is telling us what he knows about upholstery cleaning   "O"

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 27/November/2006 at 11:16pm

if he got paid doug...bad or good he got the same results...LOL

Date Posted: 28/November/2006 at 2:22pm
He got paid?? well iI guess that is the problem with this industry too many think like you?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 28/November/2006 at 7:44pm
I was only making an observation....

If you do a sh*tty job you still get paid..
If you do a good job you still get paid

everything equals getting paidBig smile

Date Posted: 28/November/2006 at 8:29pm
Good jobs = More repeat = Referrals and a bigger customer list to mail or call to...

Sh*tty job = No repeat, no referrals

Date Posted: 28/November/2006 at 11:36pm
you live in a city of 12 Million....there will be another new customer...for as long as you live...LOL

Date Posted: 29/November/2006 at 2:34pm
That is true but not a good motto........The flip side to that coin is you could have a h*ll of a CCing Empire if you thought otherwise...Like Howard P.

Date Posted: 29/November/2006 at 2:52pm
Off Topic     Hey John did you sell those pumps?

-------------

Date Posted: 29/November/2006 at 3:15pm
No.. They are on my work bench.. I'm making sure they are in tip-top shape. Grease the bearing and plunger..  They worked when they were in my Recoil-2.. I took them out when my dial-a-pressure switch/or regulator went out.

Big smile   I bought a TM so i just didnt fix the R-2   Big smile

Date Posted: 29/November/2006 at 3:45pm
We'll let me know, I only need one. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29/November/2006 at 5:29pm
I will let you know in a few days..Upper

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net