Print Page | Close Window

BEST PORTABLE UNIT

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to portable carpet cleaning machines
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2240
Printed Date: 06/May/2024 at 12:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BEST PORTABLE UNIT
Posted By: gorilla
Subject: BEST PORTABLE UNIT
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 2:12pm

I am new to this buisness. I will be cleaning strictly appartments for the time being. I want the baddest machine $ can buy. I dont want to break circuts ext... Any help???

-------------
james cullen

Replies:
Posted By: scents
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 2:56pm
James,
I would look at the unit that Ed Valentine puts out. I too am getting a portable unit. After much research and talking with Ed, I am going to get one of his recoil-3 units. I have to wait untill my SBA loan goes through first ;). Give him a call, I did and he was very informative. You are probably wondering about the rotovac as well, which I dont have any info on yet. My wife wants it, but I am not sold on its usefulness as of yet. If you have any questions on what I have learned so far, drop me a line @ soccerinco@msn.com

Tom Stasko
Scents Carpet Care, Inc.

Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 3:47pm
By any chance do you have a web address I can use to look at eds machines.

-------------
james cullen

Posted By: scents
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 4:05pm
http://www.cross-american.com/

Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 6:06pm
I checked out the site. I didnt see alot of the spec's such as the volts, psi,WL ext... Compare this to lets say a NINJA dual 2 stage 150 WL, adj pump of 200 for $1339.Dont get me wrong, money isnt my concern. I just want to know why this machine is better. Once I do I will be typing in 16 #'s.

-------------
james cullen

Posted By: Griff
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 2:10pm

The specs are all there on the Cross American site. 2 three stage + 1 two stage. Gives all the amp draws as well. I can tell you that I have the Recoil 3 and am very pleased with it.

Griff

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 3:07pm

Gorilla... If you do buy the Ninja... get the dual 3 stage... Run 25' of hose and you'll get good dry time results....

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 4:26pm
Griff,
Do you have the recoil 3 with or without heat. Pretty much the one thing I need to know. How are most people going about getting their heat? Off the machine/ heating buckets/ Bathtubs or something else?

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 5:01pm

I have the R2 modified with a extra hi-perf. 3-stage...I use a portable heat exchanger 2000W and run a generator....

If you don't want extra cords to plug in then go with a litl giant propane...

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 5:07pm
Unfortunatley I am not rollin with the big dawgs yet, so when your telling me about r2 modifications, xtra preformance generators and propane I just shake my head. I will assume a generator may be what I need. 7500 Watts sound about right?

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 6:25pm

Ninja 2-2 stage with heat won't pop circuits...If all your doing is apts... And money is tight...

Just make sure you run 25' of hose for best results....

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 6:55pm
Money isnt tight. The thing is, I have been hired to clean 300+ apartments and I have one competitor. His portable looks weak, but nevertheless I need to come with the best. I have been jumping back and forth on wether to get a heater or not.

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 6:57pm
If money isn't tight why not get a TM??????????

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 7:02pm
I didnt say it was loose either. Mayby a TM next year. Heat or no heat? Whats wrong with using a bath tub?

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 7:08pm

Whats wrong with using a bath tub? What ya mean????

Anyways....Heat is a plus... but vac is more important... That's why i said if you get the 2-3stage Ninja or whatever use 25' of vac hose for best dry times.....

T = Time...........

A = Agitation....

C = Chemical.....

H = Heat.........

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 7:14pm
Alright. I guess I am done here. Ed Valentine never called me back, so I will get the 2-3 stage ninja. I hope I dont break circuts, or have any problems.

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 7:36pm

Have you checked out these portables???? Ed must be on vacation....Don't rush your purchase....

http://www.timbucktoomfg.com/site_products/extractors.htm - http://www.timbucktoomfg.com/site_products/extractors.htm #

Posted By: Advantage
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 8:38pm

A little off topic:

I started out on apartments with a portable.  I ran the wheels off it.  Really, I've got them in my shop,  whats left of them.

Apartment managers don't care what you are using as long as the carpets "look" clean when you leave.

It's a great place to learn, without anyone looking over your shoulder.

You get a lot of practice spotting.

Getting them to pay is harder than impossible.  Funny how they can be 120 days out on invoices and call you up Thursday afternoon and ask you if you can do 8 units tommorow.  If you tell them you are already booked they get in a huff and call someone else.  You don't hear from them for two months then they make the Thursday call again, only now they are 180 days out but if you can do 8 units tommorow you'll get your money.

-------------
CCT, UFT, OCT, CRT, RRT, WRT, SMT, FSRT, JTC, JSR, JWR, MTC a great life, if you don't weaken.

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 9:14pm
All my acct's pay upon receipt..........

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 9:17pm
Its all good. I own a window and gutter cleaning buisness. I have worked for a property managment company on the side that pays me on the 1st and 15th. I name the price they write the check. Its their job to recieve payment from landlords. Therfore I just need to get er done. Nevertheless, do you recomend a particular unit for apartments. How did you get hot water?

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 9:27pm
Hey John,
is it important to get the ninja 2 stage opposed to 3 stage in regards to popping circuts? That recoil 3 is tempting. Mr. Valentine must be out of town though...

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 29/December/2005 at 4:45pm

Purchase the R3... In the long run you'll be glad you did...

2-3stage, pump and heat all engaged will blow circuits...you can plug in the 220 outlet with an adapter....2-20amp circuit's might work...

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 9:47am

Gorilla, Ed's shop is closed until after the 1st. My recoil is without heat. I take hot water from home in 3 -  7.5 gallon jugs and set up my machine and plug an 1800 watt heater in to pre-heat while I vacuum and pre-spray. Then I unplug the  heater and start heating. Usually tank water is about 140 at the beginning of this process. This set up requires 2 - 15 amp circuits. If you plan on using electric heaters while running, you will need more amps, probably at least one 20 amp circuit + 1 - 15 amp. But since electric heaters will not keep up with your flow of water, I'm not sure what the advantage is. I am happy with a little more dwell time and it works for me. I also pre-heat my pre-spray to about 150 - 160 before putting it down. I have heard this makes no difference but I still like to do it and it works for me. The ninja is probably a good machine as well but I have not used it so cannot comment on it specifically. I know Ed's customer support and advice is top notch. And having the ability to run 50 - 75 feet of hose makes me belive that the R3 performance would be worth the wait of another week so you can talk to Ed.

Griff.

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 1:35pm

I keep hearing that electric heaters stink....I disagree..... Well, proof is in using one and it does keep up...The quick connects and water are soooo hot....and well click here... ProChem 2000W heater....

http://tinypic.com/jg2pgo.jpg - http://tinypic.com/jg2pgo.jpg

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 5:53pm
Griff,thanks for the recoil info. Seems to be the most popular choice. What type of water heater do you use? Im assuming time remains a issue for you, and this whole procees doesnt dent your day.

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 8:44pm

gorilla... I've been using the electric heat exchanger for a few years...You see the steam.... It cost $430... Or you can go propane for around $1000....I also run all on a generator and plug in the heater in the kichen 20amp circuit....

I had a bucket heater in 99 and worked it similar to griff... It burnt out within a year.... But when i purchased the heat exchanger it was sooo much easier....No waiting for heat.........

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 11:35pm
John,
What machine are you running of what sized generator?
Seems like a lot of set up? Why do you use a generator if your machine isnt pumping out heat. Im assuming it doesnt, because you wouldnt be using a heat exchanger.

Its to bad all the carpet cleaners cant come to a common grounds on finding the best portable. Everyone has got a different choice with a different reason.

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 11:47pm

I have the R2 and added a 3stage...so it has 3-3stage...I run that on my 5550W troy build generator...plug in heat exchanger at custys home..

It's a matter of your preference/choice.... Who really know's what the BEST is....

Are you confused???  Have you decided yet????

Posted By: DANDY
Date Posted: 30/December/2005 at 11:55pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat as James. Starting a business w/ a portable and the Rotovac sysytem. I am going with a Stormchaser 200psi W/ heat. Not looking for speed but a good job. Less money for startup and as the business grows I'll move into a TM. I have done cleaning for 10 + years and figure most of my work will be condo or apartment cleaning. I had forgot that apt. managers can be %$#%% when it comes to paying. Any others out there have any promos or " best bets"  for a newbie.

Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 12:11am
Yea.... never give up....

Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 4:12pm

Hey John L, 

Great to here your success and happiness with the electric heat exchanger. I have wondered about that unit and may have to give it a try. Sounds like your pretty happy with it.

Thanks,

Griff

Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 6:56pm
Thanks Griff...same to you on your success... I don't use it anymore with the recoil... upgraded to a Freedom XT-45... want to buy it?????

Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 7:33pm
Want to see a pic of it ????

Date Posted: 01/January/2006 at 12:14pm

Sure.

What is a Freedom XT-45?

Date Posted: 01/January/2006 at 6:47pm
John,
I saw your input on the recoil 3's. If you think so highly of those machines and can use whatever outlets why couldnt I get a reccomendation? Do you use one? Can you tell me about them? My work will be for vacant commercial properties. All this time, I feel as if you have been holding back on me. Of course I dont want to lug a 6500 generator around apartment to apartment if its not neccessary.

-------------
james cullen

Date Posted: 01/January/2006 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Griff Griff wrote:

What is a Freedom XT-45?

"A Angry Firebreathing Angry Carpet Cleaning  Ahhhh!! MONSTER" ! ! Ahhhh!!

Date Posted: 01/January/2006 at 8:50pm
is it a truckmount?

Date Posted: 01/January/2006 at 9:20pm

Griff go to carpet cleaning hangout topic is >>

pic's of your rig/tools..You will see Many TM's ........

google it ...............................lol.

Posted By: rhawkins
Date Posted: 26/January/2006 at 11:12am
recoil3 is not to be confused with most other portables. they are built on high cfm concept as opposed to vac lift.  look at your vac........in series or parallel to the tank. series vac are a good choice for  25 ft. runs. but for longer runs go parallel..........especially for a rotovac. rotovac is a really good match to a recoil 3 at any distance.good idea to use a ball valve regulator for water supply on rotovac.  go by how trashed the carpet may or maynot be.heat on a rotovac  is  best coupled with propane little giant. electric is too slow, however a volcano would be my second choice after the propane.i have a ninja  that i added parallel vacs.......what a diference!.and thats a homemade variety.........cant beat ed v. recoil though. it has balance on vacs,psi . as well as amperage(very important).

-------------
redhot

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net