Print Page | Close Window

To Rotovac or Not to Rotovac

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Rotovac
Forum Description: Discussion about Rotovac machines.
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2235
Printed Date: 28/March/2024 at 5:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: To Rotovac or Not to Rotovac
Posted By: scents
Subject: To Rotovac or Not to Rotovac
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 12:12pm
All,
We are currently looking at getting a Rotovac and wanted to get some of your opinions on the produce. We have heard that it doesn't work well on commercial applications. Considering that we will be focusing on the residential businesses, how does this product clean and dry compared to the standard wand?
Thanks in advance...
Tom

Replies:
Posted By: Revee
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 7:23pm
Tom,

First, I don't have a Rotovac so I'm just repeating some hearsay.

In November I spent some time in a class with 2 gents who purchased a Rotovac package during late Summer. They have been using it for all kinds of commercial applications and also some residential. The only complaint they voiced to me was that they had trouble with very low profile glue down carpet and that the carpet generally was remaining very wet for extended periods. They were in class to evaluate a low moisture system to supplement their Rotovac, not replace it.  They felt their employees had  to remain on site for several hours after the cleaning was completed to allow the air dryers ample time to dry the carpet; time when they could have been productive on a 'next' job if the carpets were less wet. But I suppose this could have been the operators as well. See what others say.

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 8:47pm

haven't tried glides for a Rotovac but I know they did wonders for my RX as far as dry times and cleaning ability

I have krazy kenny's RX skids actually

a wand will simply never out clean a rotary extractor IMO

-------------
A.K.A.
Andy

Posted By: LilNiteRidrhood
Date Posted: 27/December/2005 at 10:01pm

The only complaint I have ever heard of the Rotovac is that it is slowwwwww.

Posted By: jtuseo
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 12:10am
Get a Rotovac it is the best it out cleans anything!

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Posted By: Glidemaster
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 5:02pm
Except another Rotovac with our glides on it!

-------------
*********GLIDEMASTER*********

Posted By: Advantage
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 8:16pm

The RotoVac works better than a manual wand.  In my opinion, the amount of scrubbing you would have to do with a manual wand to equal the rotovac would wear you out in a few square feet.

It does not work on any carpet without pad.

I've used it with both my truckmount and potable units.  One thing I notice is that you have to clean it out more fequently when its used with the portable.  I would guess the reduced suction doesn't clear all the junk out of the manifold.

Good luck with your new buisiness.

Sam

-------------
CCT, UFT, OCT, CRT, RRT, WRT, SMT, FSRT, JTC, JSR, JWR, MTC a great life, if you don't weaken.

Posted By: Cleaner_n_TX
Date Posted: 28/December/2005 at 10:39pm
As mentioned above, it will outclean any manual wand that I have seen. I've had mine for 7 months now, and have only one complaint thus far. ITS LOUD AFTER AWHILE....D*mn thing gets on your nerves with all that noise. As far as commercial carpet, don't do it....No luck with mine, even with the brushes installed. All in all, its great, (but SLOW), on residential carpet. Dry times rock as well....Hope this helps

Posted By: Glidemaster
Date Posted: 29/December/2005 at 9:02pm

We have new glides that allow this machine to clean commercial carpet well. Coming to a distributor near you very soon!

Ken

-------------
*********GLIDEMASTER*********

Posted By: Dennis Conner
Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 1:35am

Sure ken.....where are the rest of the things you said were coming out of the carport???

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 11:36am
Carport Good one

Posted By: Adwa
Date Posted: 31/December/2005 at 11:45am
[QUOTE=Dennis Conner]

Sure ken.....where are the rest of the things you said were coming out of the carport???

Dennis you ask the same question........over and over......there will never be an answer.

-------------
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com - http://www.kleenkuip.com

Posted By: cleaningtildawn
Date Posted: 18/February/2006 at 3:05pm

To Rotovac or not? We have used the Rotovac for 3 years and have two of them. I think they are great. If you want to make alot of money, then a Rotovac is a must buy. People are amazed at how well they clean (when compared to a regular wand) and the repeat business is excellent. I use our Rotovac with a ProChem Cheyene for residental jobs. I don't know what you are charging in your area, but here in Las Vegas the going rate for a regular wand cleaning is about 12 to 14 cents a square foot. With the Rotovac, I charge 28 cents a square foot and have yet to hear anybody complain about the price. I tell my customers..."You get what you pay for." If you can afford it up front, I'd say get one because it won't be long before you will have it paid for.

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 18/February/2006 at 6:22pm

cleaningtildawn,

Welcome to our board.

I am sure you will get answers here and maybe you can start out with helping a few of our members RE: Rotovac Cleaning.

Most of our customers claim it's too slow and too much money to buy. Most also say they cannot upsell it for more money yet you offer it at double your normal price.

What is your magic sales pitch?

P.S.
How do you stay away from all those buffets in Vegas?

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Date Posted: 18/February/2006 at 9:55pm

I have read about the various claims, too slow... too much water down... too noisy... Frankly, most of the claims are in fact true, however, once you spend some time working with the unit, you adapt and overcome these issues. When you speak of slow, how slow is slow? If I'm by myself and can get in and out of a single story 1700 sq/ft house in 3.5 hours, thats good. Halve that time when I have an assistant to hold my lines. Depending upon how soiled the carpet is, I lay my solution down on the upstroke and vac only on the backstroke moving across the room and then go over the same area up and back with vac only. I lay down some really great looking patterens and it is dry within the hour. On to the next room, no breaks. We start and don't stop until done. There is plenty of time to take a break on the way to the next customer.

Regarding the 'pitch'.. I don't have one or really need one. The Rotovac pretty much does it for me. Most customers have had wand service before my visit, and when I've completed the job, they just stand there with there mouths wide open and stare at the carpet. I do no advertising. It is all word of mouth, referral and reputation. Before I start I will tell the client, "If you don't like what I have done, then don't pay me." In three years I have not had anybody take me up on that offer. I have found that people are willing to spend more money on a product or service if they think it is worth it. When I quote them a price the initial response is usually something like, "Isn't that a little pricey?" That's when I offer my 'no like - no pay' offer. Again the Rotovac does such a superior job, I really don't have to sell anything.

Regarding the glue-down commercial carpeting... Right now as we speak, my wife is down at one of our biggest accounts, (27,550 sq/ft bank and real estate office) with a double crew doing the commercial carpets. Sure there are alot of uneven areas and some snags at some of the seams but all in all... we have never had any problems with commercial carpets.

The one major pain in the ass thing about the Rotovac (when used with a portable extractor.. we use ProChem Cheyenes) is you have 3 lines to deal with. The large bore vac line, the high pressure solution line and the electrical cord for the Rotovac. Every time I use it I bunch all 3 together and take a 13 gallon trash bag and tie it around an area about 2 feet behind the Rotovack and another one about 4 feet behind it and so forth all the way back to the Cheyene. Also... one must usually have to have a line handler. Someone who holds the lines about 5 feet behind the operator who makes sure the operator doesn't trip over the lines as they move backwards. I normally have one of my 3 sons do it and I pay them about $10.00 an hour.

The buffets? Who says I stay away from them. I stand 6 foot tall and weigh 245 pounds. (The buffet at the Rio is one of my favorites)

I hope I was able to enlighten those may have been wondering about the Rotovac. Mind you I'm always looking for a better way and in no way shape or form am I forever devoted to Rotovac. We have a great deal with Brady Industries here in town and our account rep is always showing us new products and such and if he can show me something new and different that does a better job, then great!

I hope the reply was not too long and/or bored too many folks to death, however, I wanted to answer the questions put forth by Carpetologist as he requested.

mailto:Scott@CTD - Scott@CTD

Date Posted: 19/February/2006 at 9:46am
When you clean commercial carpet with a rotovac you should use the brushes that they sell. Take off the rotohead and put on the hard surface brushes they work amazing on glue down carpet. Then you just suck it up with the wand!

-------------

Date Posted: 19/February/2006 at 4:17pm

When I got my first Rotovac 3 years ago I immediately thought.. "This would really be great if it came with a brush attachment..." To the best of my knowlege at that time Rotovac did not offer a brush head.

Our next capital expenditure will be three sets of brushes.

So your advice on the commercial carpet is to use the brushes f/b a pickup with the wand? (Would that be a wand with or without glides? )

Date Posted: 03/March/2006 at 10:15pm
without glides

-------------

Posted By: carpetologist
Date Posted: 28/November/2006 at 1:16pm
The Rotovac 360 only cleans carpets with metal glides. Soon to be changed by SGK.

The Rotovac 360 has brushes and squeegees for hard surface floor cleaning.

The original Rotovac also has brushes to fit it but these brushes are for scrubbing only and have no vacuum pick-up availability.

As much as jtuseo made an excellent suggestion I just thought I would clear this up.

-------------
Kleen Kuip Supply Mart Inc.

http://www.kleenkuip.com - New & Used Professional Carpet Cleaning Machines, Restoration Equipment, Training, Service and Supplies

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net