Print Page | Close Window

uneven floor

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to portable carpet cleaning machines
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=206
Printed Date: 29/March/2024 at 6:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: uneven floor
Posted By: Harvey
Subject: uneven floor
Date Posted: 28/March/2004 at 10:21pm
  I clean carpets with a ambassador pull type carpet cleaner.  This machine has a 17 in width.   I have cleaned a high traffic restaurant twice in 6 months with no complaints from the manager, although I knew that the carpet looked spotty, but couldn't figure why as this hadn't happened to us before.  I finally realized that the floor is uneven & has dips in it. This is causing us to lose all the suction over these spots. Obviously we can not use this machine for this job any more. I do have access to a older rx-20. Can I use this with a portable machine.  Would this be the way to go without  haveing to spend a pile of money  on new equipment. The girls that clean carpets with this machine really like it & say they don't want to go to a wand type machine.

Replies:
Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 28/March/2004 at 10:29pm
Harvey if the floor is uneven an RX 20 is not going to help.  You may not have to spend a pile of money.  But you may start to lose a pile of money. You probably can use a wand on the uneven places. I think this will only be a band aid solution till you may have to make some kind of investment. Uneven floors can be a problem regardless of the machine.  The owner probable should of had the installer do a little floor prep and level the concrete. But all that costs money now the cleaner is suppose to make everything ok. It never hurts during your preinspection to make a note of this.

Posted By: Americancarpet
Date Posted: 01/May/2004 at 3:11pm
I cleaned a restaurant last weekend that did the same thing....spotty and uneven floors. And we all know that cleaning commercial grade caarpet is hard as hell to do. I told the owner that b4 I even started we were going to have a problem with streaking/spotting bcause the floor is not level. I also made him acknowlege what I was telling him by having him sign the estimate sheet. Anywho........when all was said and done the floor didn't look much better than before. He of course said he didn't know it was going to streak/spot and then I showed him the estimate he signed.....suddenly his memory came back. I use a rotovac on almost all my carpet jobs but it's not very good on commercial grade carpet. I thought about the RX20 myself. You can hook it up to a portable unit. I use a portable Ninja 500. GREAT MACHINE and more suction power than a lot of van units. However....I myself am looking for a good machine to do commercial carpet with. Anyonw have any suggestions???

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 01/May/2004 at 4:08pm

OP...OP....OP....I can't wait to get my hands on an op machine....But I currently do all heavy dirty commercial jobs...with a nice bonnet clean first and the a light steam to rinse it all out...you can either use the bonnet pad...or the brush....

thats two methods... .25 cents per square foot at least

Date Posted: 01/May/2004 at 5:19pm
Mr. Streamer:  Why would you bonnet clean first?  I could see shampoo with the brush,  than hot water extract because it seems like a waste of diapers.  Would it not be more benifical to bonnet after to avoid any wicking and maybe to give it a even appearance. Just my opinionGuitar

Date Posted: 01/May/2004 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Mr. Streamer:  Why would you bonnet clean first?  I could see shampoo with the brush,  than hot water extract because it seems like a waste of diapers.  Would it not be more beneficial to bonnet after to avoid any wicking and maybe to give it a even appearance. Just my opinionGuitar
bonnet loosens the dirt...moves it around...the carpets get a good rub with the pad and most of the heavy soiling is absorbed...then I extracted with about 200 psi and lots of heat and some nice text tile rinse....

it looks clean after you bonnet but it looks even cleaner after you hwe....when extracting you should double vac the area.....so basically steam down...and dry extract back up the same line... works great...helps the carpets dry much faster

and you should make sure there is plenty of air flowing... if you have air movers use them....if not try to have the HVAC fan system on in the building...nothing worse than having a building where the moisture has no place to go...you'll get lots of wick backs...just get that air moving

This is what works for me....I'm not saying it's the best way...but I have cleaned 10's of 1000's a sq ft this way...with almost no complaints.

I'm only telling you what I do...I didn't say it was right or wrong...draw your own conclusions

Date Posted: 01/May/2004 at 10:48pm
Mr. Steamer:  Was just askin.  I don't bonnet clean.  So if works all the better.  Just my opinionGuitar

Posted By: Harvey
Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 3:08am
     What about the time factor? & the money factor? Most comercial places want you in and out> & not doing a 4 step process to get their carpet clean.
 &  none want to pay .25 cents per sq. to do it right!

Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 9:15am
Harvey:  You are right. Some cleaners like cleaning greesy resturants, personally we don't bother with them.  Most are done on a lick and a promise,  they look good the next motning and that is about the extent of the cleaning.  To do it properly I feel about $.30 and upward is what they are worth to remove all the gum, contents and the hour at which they are done.  I better quit before all the commerical cleaners attack.  Just my opinion

Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 9:16am

Originally posted by Harvey Harvey wrote:

What about the time factor? & the money factor? Most comercial places want you in and out> & not doing a 4 step process to get their carpet clean.
 &  none want to pay .25 cents per sq. to do it right!
No thats where I think you're wrong.... They want a good job...most of them have had it cleaned with nothing but poor results...If they ever had it cleaned with a soap in the tank portable or a 1000 psi truck mount...and got those crappy results....trust me they will pay...

when I do commercial I use two guys....one runs the bonnet machine one does the hwe rinse...takes no longer...the bonnet guy starts first...the other guy drinks a coffee and has a dounut..then starts...lol

Posted By: splash_$$$_dash
Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 9:19am
I use a 170 RPM roto and foam shampoo at 4-7oz/gallon then HWE with fiber-rinse (1.5 PH) Looks great and NEVER get a complaint.

Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 9:28am
and you get paid don't you dash.....lol 2 steps twice the money...trust me if they have dirty carpets they'll pay...but you have to produce

Posted By: splash_$$$_dash
Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 6:57pm

yes I make a big deal out of the fact that I use 2 machines and I have some contracts that think its the only way to go.

they dont want the guys "with only 1 machine"  that's their words not mine.

btw: these are places that can not be done with a TM.

Date Posted: 02/May/2004 at 10:30pm
 way to go Splash!!!

Posted By: greg
Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 7:07pm
steamer i would have to agree with doug on this one. bonnet after you hwe. on commercial jobs where i hwe thats what i do. but if it works for you right on.

-------------
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.

Date Posted: 10/May/2004 at 8:01pm
I guess either way is ok...I find that bonnet after leaves the bonnet swings...you can see them back and forth...steam at the end gives a much more even clean....with my patented double vac

Date Posted: 18/May/2004 at 8:18pm

maybe bonnet first and then hwe and then bonnet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more money more money!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net