Print Page | Close Window

"Buyer beware" (??)

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to portable carpet cleaning machines
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1119
Printed Date: 27/April/2024 at 1:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Buyer beware" (??)
Posted By: Ed Valentine
Subject: "Buyer beware" (??)
Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 2:08pm

It always amazes me whenever I see anyone selling their "used" equipment on the interent, either through the boards or elsewhere.  I don't care what model or brand of equipment it is either, it always (with few exceptions) seems to be the same thing:

"Hardly used", only a few times....etc.....etc.....

What gets me is that some of this equipment is 4 years old, for example ("hardly used") but only used about 10-12 times. Even I have had a hard time not laughing or placing a follow-up comment on certain Individuals whom have stated these comments.

Or, a machine will be "used" (2-3 times around for example) but in "good condition"-------------and many components aren't origional; changed with inferior parts, a vac motor doesn't work, etc.....etc.....------------and they will advertise it at only $400.00 (US). 

What gets me here is the response from people on the boards like: "Wow-thats a great price"; "ya, I'd go for it"; "Pretty cheap for a %$#@ brand model, buy it"!!!!

What I am getting at is simply, "BUYER BEWARE"!   Never forget that a large majority (yes, there may be a few exceptions) of people selling "Used" equipment really are inferring that it is "USED UP" instead. I have found that most equipment in this Industry is designed to do hard work. And, therefore, many are truely USED up in the end.

BUYER BEWARE.

That has been my experience, gentlemen. bet, even Ted would agree with me on this one.

Good Fortune to all;

Ed Valentine

cross-american corp.

Replies:
Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 2:22pm

it's a chance we all have to take....lol some times the pocket not the product that makes a sale...

pay now or pay later I always say... but still you can't hang your hat higher than you can reach it

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Rick/Magic
Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 5:27pm
I find it cheaper to just buy new...but some people never learn...I finally did...my accountant is the one who talked me into selling off my used equipment and buying new...and he was right

-------------
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts

Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 6:30pm

well you can only write off used equipment so much until it's worthless on the books... you'll save with new..

but I always say you'll go broke saving money

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 10:39pm

I Concur that Ed. New is the smartest business investment you can make. You WILL make your money back.

Best, JL

Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 11:04pm
sometimes even new gives trouble

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 21/February/2005 at 11:46pm
All machinery does sooner or later.

Posted By: Rick/Magic
Date Posted: 22/February/2005 at 8:36am
anything made by man will break down...

-------------
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 22/February/2005 at 3:05pm

Steamer that not exactly true, you can register the truckmount on someone else's name and then you can make invoices that you leased it from that person, then it is completely deductable forever at whatever price you like. $,500.00 /week is not unreasonable, and he does not have to include any taxes on the invoice and shoudln't

nightrider

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 22/February/2005 at 3:15pm
A lease has to have a beggining and an end.  There has to be a buy out of some sort.  If to low is will not be considered a lease. Now you can rent the equipment but applicable taxes must be shown.Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 22/February/2005 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

Steamer that not exactly true, you can register the truckmount on someone else's name and then you can make invoices that you leased it from that person, then it is completely deductable forever at whatever price you like. $,500.00 /week is not unreasonable, and he does not have to include any taxes on the invoice and shoudln't

nightrider

What I'm talking about nightrider is depreciation... equipment can only depreciate for so long before it becomes useless and no longer can be written off.

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 22/February/2005 at 11:37pm

Doug and Steamer, you are both missing the point, I can lease you a 1929 imaginary truckmount for 500.00 dollars a day if you like, the government will take it as a rental and is a fair expense. I do not have to charge you taxes as long as I don't invoice over 30,000 dollars per year income less all expenses, my overhead etc etc. I thought you were talking as a deduction for tax purposes, maybe I read it all wrong.

nightrider

Date Posted: 23/February/2005 at 9:38am

Yes tax deduction... I love to see what would happen to you during an audit...lol

nightrider you have never been audited before have you..lol

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: Superglide Ken
Date Posted: 23/February/2005 at 11:25am
Tax must be paid in the hands of the one doing the renting of the equipment. As long as the rental rate is reasonable in relation to fair market value, and income is being earned from it's use by the renter, it is a deductable expense. This is why, with the exception of vehicles, which I do lease, my equipment in the business is set up as a rental and rented to my company. Complete deduction against income, and great income splitting device to pay the least taxes by redistribution of income.

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Date Posted: 23/February/2005 at 12:01pm
BTW, by the effort it takes Ted to move used equipment around here, I would say that those buyers are bewareing pretty good already, Ed. LOL

-------------
Inventor of the Teflon Wand Glide and the Turboteck Rotary Air Duct Cleaners for TMs.

Posted By: Dennis Conner
Date Posted: 23/February/2005 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

This is why, with the exception of vehicles, which I do lease...

How many of you have seen the pics of Nipples "leased" 1970-1980's POS cars in front of his house???

WAKE UP Nipples.......and put down the crack pipe and step back!

AND I find it SO FOOKING FUNNY that nipples has the balls to post in a thread with this ones title!

Beware of giving $$$ to nipples!!!

Date Posted: 23/February/2005 at 1:24pm

Maybe the law is different here in Quebec, If you do not anticipate that your business will do more than 30,000 you are not allowed to collect either gst or pst.

nightrider

Date Posted: 24/February/2005 at 1:20am
Law is different then Jack. In the rest of Canada, it is compulsory to register if sales are over $30,000 annually, but you can still register voluntarily if sales are under that amount. It usually does pay to register.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/February/2005 at 2:07am

If I continue posting here......I will end up back in jail.

nightrider

Posted By: surroundings
Date Posted: 24/February/2005 at 5:33am
While I've gotta agree with many of your points here, Ed... I also feel the need to point out the difference between buying from a sole trader & picking up refurbished gear from a REPUTABLE dealer with a service department that backs up their second hand sales.

When I started out, I looked at buying existing businesses and individuals selling used equipment, and even this newbie didn't trust the crap up for sale. 

If I'd had the choise... I'd rather have bought a good second hand TM though, then my new portable.

Perhaps I would have been making a mistake... I didn't go down that road, so I don't know...

I have purchased blowers at auction with success... maybe I was lucky.

My main point here?  Get the best equipment you can afford... you owe it to yourself to at least check out the second hand market.

HOWEVER... as the esteemed Mr. Valentine has said: "BUYER BEWARE"

Cheers,

Allen

Date Posted: 24/February/2005 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Dennis Conner Dennis Conner wrote:

Originally posted by Superglide Ken Superglide Ken wrote:

This is why, with the exception of vehicles, which I do lease...

How many of you have seen the pics of Nipples "leased" 1970-1980's POS cars in front of his house???

WAKE UP Nipples.......and put down the crack pipe and step back!

AND I find it SO FOOKING FUNNY that nipples has the balls to post in a thread with this ones title!

Beware of giving $$$ to nipples!!!

wow that old I feel an audit coming on.... I've been audited they dis allow everything like that

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: cleencarpet
Date Posted: 19/March/2005 at 4:03pm
i bought my tm used for $8,000 its a real basic machine if my
engine,blower,and pump all went out tomorow (knock on wood) it would
cost me less then $4,500 to replace all, basically i would have a new
machine for many more years of use.
i have not got burned on a used sale yet but im the kind a guy that has to
kick the tires look under the hood start it up and drive it, then ask a
million questions and rephrase the same questions to try and catch any
conflicts in there story.
i would never make a major purchase over the net it has to be in person.

just my 2 cents

Chris

Date Posted: 19/March/2005 at 4:13pm
used for 8k  you can get new for 8k

Posted By: cleencarpet
Date Posted: 19/March/2005 at 4:22pm
that included financing fees and tm came with a van.
unit had 600 hours on it i bought it from original owner and he had all
paper work and documintation on including oil changes etc.. it was well
maintained my machine lists brand new for $12,000

Chris

Date Posted: 19/March/2005 at 5:27pm
O

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net