Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Tile and Grout and Hard Surface Floor Cleaning Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Concrete floor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concrete floor
    Posted: 04/June/2018 at 3:31pm

Hi,

I am building a garage near my home. There was a small area near my home which was lying unused. So thought of converting it into a garage so that would be useful. I need to get a strong concrete flooring done. And I have been thinking of hiring a concrete flooring service provider in Oakville.

So my question is, what is the best coating for a new concrete garage floor? And how long does the concrete have to cure before applying the coating?

I am looking forward to your replies and suggestions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Xaiann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaiann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2018 at 9:00am
I did my floor when we moved into our house over four years ago. It's a large 3-car garage (about 750 sqft). Overall, I love it. I live in a climate with snow and ice, so it's nice to be able to use a hose and spray out all of the road gunk that accumulates on the floor during the winter. After cleaning, the floor looks just as new as it did four years ago. Here are my suggestions: 1. Put a lot of extra time and effort into getting the slab clean and etched. Get a stiff brush that you can use to scrub hard. The slab prep work is by far the most important part of the entire job. This part really is at least 80% of the entire effort, and MUST be done right for good results. 2. Put on two coats. The guy at HD recommended this, and I do to. Put the first coat on thick. I used two 2-car garage kits to cover my 3-car garage, and it barely covered it. I was able to use one 2-car garage kit for this second coat. The second coat goes on 24 hours after you put on the first coat. The first coat is starting to cure, but it has a slight sticky feel to it, which is good. The second thinner coat will be able to bind to the first coat. 3. Use non-slip additive cleaner - https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/ - https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/ It looks like a sugar/sand mixture. The epoxy is slick when it is wet without the non-slip additive. If you put on the two coats like I did, then you can use the non-slip additive in the final coat only. 4. I used the flakes, but kind of regret it. It's a matter of personal preference, and they do provide additional non-slip grip. If you use the flakes, use some kind of a spreader, like a fertilizer spreader, to get an even spread of flakes. There is not a single part of the entire floor that is cracked, chipped, peeled or damaged in anyway. This was the product I used from Home Depot. I bought three of those kits. Total cost for everything was about $350, and probably about six hours of time.
Billy Barty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2018 at 9:00pm
Home Depot is great...they frequently have workshops on how to do-it-yourself.

I have learned a great deal from them! Smile
Xaiann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaiann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Xaiann Xaiann wrote:

I did my floor when we moved into our house over four years ago. It's a large 3-car garage (about 750 sqft). Overall, I love it. I live in a climate with snow and ice, so it's nice to be able to use a hose and spray out all of the road gunk that accumulates on the floor during the winter. After cleaning, the floor looks just as new as it did four years ago. Here are my suggestions: 1. Put a lot of extra time and effort into getting the slab clean and etched. Get a stiff brush that you can use to scrub hard. The slab prep work is by far the most important part of the entire job. This part really is at least 80% of the entire effort, and MUST be done right for good results. 2. Put on two coats. The guy at HD recommended this, and I do to. Put the first coat on thick. I used two 2-car garage kits to cover my 3-car garage, and it barely covered it. I was able to use one 2-car garage kit for this second coat. The second coat goes on 24 hours after you put on the first coat. The first coat is starting to cure, but it has a slight sticky feel to it, which is good. The second thinner coat will be able to bind to the first coat. 3. Use non-slip additive cleaner - http://%20mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/%20 - https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/ - https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/ It looks like a sugar/sand mixture. The epoxy is slick when it is wet without the non-slip additive. If you put on the two coats like I did, then you can use the non-slip additive in the final coat only. 4. I used the flakes, but kind of regret it. It's a matter of personal preference, and they do provide additional non-slip grip. If you use the flakes, use some kind of a spreader, like a fertilizer spreader, to get an even spread of flakes. There is not a single part of the entire floor that is cracked, chipped, peeled or damaged in anyway. This was the product I used from Home Depot. I bought three of those kits. Total cost for everything was about $350, and probably about six hours of time.

Thanks for this thread
KingCarpetClean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCarpetClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2023 at 11:17am
When it comes to the best coating for a new concrete garage floor, epoxy is often a top choice. Epoxy coatings are durable, resistant to chemicals, and provide a smooth, glossy finish. Another option is polyurea, known for its fast cure time and high abrasion resistance.

As for curing time before applying the coating, patience is the key. Typically, concrete needs about 28 days to cure fully, allowing it to reach its maximum strength. However, in some cases, a new concrete floor might be ready for coatings after 7 days if it has achieved sufficient strength.

Best Regards,
KingCarpetClean Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply