Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: 06/August/2004 at 7:34pm

I'm just starting out and any free information you could give me would be appreciated....

I'm using a portable machine right now, and using chemspec products.

I'm cleaning the cheap end of the specturm, the 50 dollar call.  I want to step up, but I need to take the right steps.

If you can help me feel free to post here

Sponsored Links

surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2004 at 5:00am
Congratulations on starting up a new venture.

Lessee... free info, eh?

Take the carpet cleaning courses.
Track your advertising.
Treat your customers like gold.
Don't take shortcuts.
Measure your chemical properly.
Get a good vacuum cleaner. Change the filter or clean the trap often.
Rinse your portable after every job.
Be on time.
Keep your wand looking nice.
Keep your van clean.
Ensure that you don't overwet the carpets.
Raise your rates.
Smile when you answer the phone, and state your & your company name clearly.
Keep your promises.
Look clean and presentable.
Never talk down other companies.
Write down your questions as you think of them for later research.

& take some carpet cleaning courses.

-Allen
Suction View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2004 at 11:02am
CC courses I guess are a good thing as per Allen... Thanks
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2004 at 12:59pm

Track your advertising.
Treat your customers like gold.
Don't take shortcuts.
Measure your chemical properly.
Get a good vacuum cleaner. Change the filter or clean the trap often.
Rinse your portable after every job.
Be on time.
Keep your wand looking nice.
Keep your van clean.
Ensure that you don't overwet the carpets.
Raise your rates.
Smile when you answer the phone, and state your & your company name clearly.
Keep your promises.
Look clean and presentable.
Never talk down other companies.
Write down your questions as you think of them for later research.

& take some carpet cleaning courses.

-Allen

Not only is this info for a Newbie but many who have been in it for years should heed to it. This is great info. Thanks for the post Allen.

P.S.
It's not necessarily easy to get started and be profitable at any business right out of the starting gate the first week. But I will say that my customers who hire telephone marketers increase their business much faster than those who use other advertising avenues. Everyone says they don't like telephone solicitors. BUT IT WORKS.

When I first started my carpet cleaning business I offered lots of free single room cleaning. This worked for me. Probably means 12 & 18 hour days.

Suction View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2004 at 10:45pm

Telemarking... wow naw I just a small fry... Free rooms I don't think I could stomach that... A portable is a hard thing to get set up and set down

Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 2:01am
Thank you, Carpetologist.

Suction: after being in business for 6 months, I have the set-up / tear-down of the portable to a fine art, but my best time is still 20 min set-up, and 15 for tear-down. It was a vacant place, so no need to chit chat with the customer.

Everything is put into my van in order so that the following procedure is simple, and orderful (is that a word?).

My set-up procedure:

Walk in with vacuum & scope out possible site for portable (laundry rooms are good, garages or carports, the porch outside of a kitchen, the kitchen itself) and figure out where the waste water will be going.  Here in South Australia, we can put it on a garden bed,  but not out into the street.  You can also empty into a toilet / bath, but be prepared to then clean up your mess.  Check your own local laws.

Bring in portable, and fresh water hose. set up in laundry, venting towards open exterior door.

Hook up hot water (get a ring with various tap fittings, keep a spanner in your back pocket, and get some extra washers just in case theirs are thrashed... I have auto-fill & auto dump.  Very handy!)

Place white spotting towel over tap connection just in case it slips off.

Bring in vac hose & solution hose and corner protectors.

Bring in auto-dump hose, carpet rake and pump-up sprayer (with pre-mixed neutral pre-spray and a dash of Citrus-Solv)

Bring in RX-20 (or wand) and in-line heater.  Never rest the wand against a wall.  It will slide sometime, scratching the wall or cracking a tile.  Place it instead along a wall.

Attatch auto-dump hose first, then hook up in-line heater & solution & vac hose to RX or wand. Here, I also place velcro straps around the first metre and a half of solution hose, vac hose, and RX-20 powercord coming off the RX (wand) side.  It makes it easier to kick out of your way & handle.

Plug in equipment, ensuring that the in-line heater is OFF until water is passing through it.

Turn on hot water...

set up is now complete.  Vacuum while it fills, then prespray, agitate, & clean... I start at the WORST room first when possible.

Tear down is pretty much in reverse order so that the van is packed as logically as space will allow.

Have fun!

-Allen

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 9:17pm

WOW WOW WOW

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 10:07pm
Allen:  I am  ready for a break and I haven't started to clean yet.  I guess I just haven't setup a portable lately.  Just my upholstery machine an ultimate, I also have a kleenrite machine but I can't remember going through all that to set one of them up.Guitar
Just My opinion
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2004 at 11:54pm
Well, I could keep it in the van with all the hoses connected, get a booster box, and PRETEND to have a truckmount....

I know many who do this.  I am uncomfortable with the amount of suction even with a booster, and bringing it in with all the hoses on is cumbersome.

If I can reach everything with one length of hose from where the van's parked, then fine, it stays in.

Udderwise, I gots a portable, doesn't  I? It wants to be set up before it'll do much work.

Besides the need for better suction & heat, a truckmount will save me time on set up / tear down. I won't be afraid of blowing a fuse on an old building, and I'll be able to work on sites that don't have power. There's other reasons, I'm sure.   I'll keep the portable, but I am looking forward to the day I can get a TM.

One day....

-Allen

OCC Boss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCC Boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/September/2004 at 5:52pm
10 Minutes set up and tear down with a truckmount
H8 DIRT
 Post Reply Post Reply