Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Encapsulation, Very Low Moisture, Oscillating Pad Cleaning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Machine handling question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Machine handling question
    Posted: 16/June/2008 at 11:23am
This may sound like a dumb question but I would really appreciate an answer. The company I work for just bought a Minuteman 2 speed machine so I can clean the carpets. When I was using the machine last night it seemed to be pulling down and to the right and grinding into the floor. It actually popped a breaker after about an hour of running it.
The same thing happened when I used the machine to clean and shine a hard surface cafeteria floor( different pad of course).
I have the handle just above waist height and I'm trying to just balance the machine without trying to oversteer. Am I holding it incorrectly? What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2008 at 2:00pm
Have you ever run a floor machine previous to this one?

The STD Meter
rick007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2008 at 12:00am
tell them to call padman and get a real machine.
happy cleaning
FreshAire View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreshAire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2008 at 1:37am
Personally, I'd hold it at just below waist height and can control any rotary machine with one hand at that level, as a slight change in elevation will send it travelling one way or the other, but if the machine is seriously "pulling down and to the right and grinding into the floor" as well as tripping circuit breakers, it could indicate worn/faulty bearings.

Is it making anything other than a soft whirring sound when in use and was it a new or second-hand purchase? And, more importantly, did anyone give you any real training on how to use a rotary machine?
JoeD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2008 at 10:36am

This is a brand new machine and I've had no training on this type of machine. There's nobody to train me as I'm the whole cleaning staff! I'm going to try lowering the handle to take pressure off the machine. Thanks for the help.

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2008 at 11:27am
It takes some practice to find the balance of the machine. Once you get it, you can control it with one fingerThumbs%20Up

The STD Meter
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2008 at 2:22pm
1. handle lowered to fully extended arm length. 
2. do not fight the machine.
3. push down on handle slightly takes you in one direction.
4. lift handle slightly takes in you other direction.
5. think of pushing down and lifting of handle as the turn signals on your car.
6. if you think machine is getting away from you let go of the power switch.
7. practice in a big open area to limit damage.
8. practice when nobody is around - remember how hard learning to drive was?
9. let the machine do the work, not you.
10. when you can control the machine with one hand, you are the master.

Just talking about my own experiences 37 years ago.  Be thinking this in the back of your mind - If THEY can make it look easy, I WILL make it look easy too .... starting NOW!

Edited by duckcountry - 30/June/2008 at 2:26pm
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
 Post Reply Post Reply