Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Urine Stains and General Spot Removal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Chalk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chalk
    Posted: 23/February/2006 at 6:00pm
Have a potential job which includes burgundy chalk (from pool table) which is now in a white carpet .  I have checked in a number of forums including ICS but there is no overall consistency of solvent, merely an overall agreement to dry vac as much as possible to avoid making it worse. I'm assuming this chalk has been on/in the carpet for a LONG time, who knows what the homeowner tried in the past.  I tried searching this board on "chalk' and found nothing. Surely others have run into this?

I would like to remove the chalk using a dry vac, spotter and/or pre spray before cleaning the rest of the carpet so I don't make it worse. Anyone experienced in this? (Scissors is not an option)

Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2006 at 6:43pm

Well I don't know about burgundy chalk, but regular blue chalk comes out with some pre-spray and a good steamin.

vac

pre-spray

let it dwell

through a cloth on top

dance on it for a bit

rinse with steam..

but thats just me

www.mr-steamer.com
Revee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2006 at 7:54pm
Yes, most of the info I read on ICS said blue chalk came out with pre spray and regular cleaning. Many also said the red chalk was difficult, and a number of people suggested not to apply heat (because it might transfer the red pigment more fully into the fibers), where others said use high heat.

There were also a variety of very different products suggested as solvents, ranging from odorless mineral spirits to dye stain remover to even rust remover and/or degreaser+ammonia. Surely these cannot all be equally effective? 

I'm glad I'm new to this biz. If I knew more, I'd probably be afraid to clean anything
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2006 at 8:07pm

suck up as much as you can dry

clean as normal

if that don't work try some citrus gel

A.K.A.
Andy
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2006 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Revee Revee wrote:

Yes, most of the info I read on ICS said blue chalk came out with pre spray and regular cleaning. Many also said the red chalk was difficult, and a number of people suggested not to apply heat (because it might transfer the red pigment more fully into the fibers), where others said use high heat.

There were also a variety of very different products suggested as solvents, ranging from odorless mineral spirits to dye stain remover to even rust remover and/or degreaser+ammonia. Surely these cannot all be equally effective? 

I'm glad I'm new to this biz. If I knew more, I'd probably be afraid to clean anything
thats why you put the cloth on top... to check for transfer
www.mr-steamer.com
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2006 at 4:08pm

One of the spotting lines that we sell is called Motsenbockers.

http://www.kleenkuip.com/products/motsenbockers_lift-off.htm

Try using them as this family of products are excellent and very specialized.

Revee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2006 at 4:35pm
OK, I've decided. (First, thanks to all for the tips)

I'm going to do it the old fashioned way. I ordered a box of burgundy chalk from a billiard supply co, going to stain some light colored carpet remnants, see what works best. Maybe I'll even try some household cleaners over the chalk to see if that makes it stick worse. Then I'll try the stuff in my spotting kit.

Yes, I know there are still a lot of variables. But at least I'll get some stain removal practice on carpet that I bought at a huge discount, rather than buying it direct from the homeowner.
Advantage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Advantage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2006 at 5:26pm

Good idea, who knows maybe it will surprise you and come out with water.  We could all put our two cents in and still amount to nothing.

My two cents:  Filterout, Filterfree or any of those filtration soil products.

CCT, UFT, OCT, CRT, RRT, WRT, SMT, FSRT, JTC, JSR, JWR, MTC a great life, if you don't weaken.

Post Reply Post Reply