Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

IICRC SCAM & SCANDAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IICRC SCAM & SCANDAL
    Posted: 21/April/2012 at 1:47am
All you jokers that keep sending your money year after year for nothing take a look.

saw this on the truck mount forum

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10890298/IICRC%20Financials.zip

IICRC and all those involved are making a pretty penny...lol

www.mr-steamer.com
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2012 at 8:51am
Didn't some old short shaft from drown under..lol  post this on ICS?
What about it Mr.Steamer?
Mrs. Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 10:37am
$30 Every year and $50 every three isn't bad.

We aren't a certified firm, but our Tech is certified. Therefore we can say Certified Techs. Always a loop hole. They won't let us purchase patches or van decals because we aren't certified firm, no big deal.

There is no way we are going to pay $200, plus start up fees. We've only turned away one job in the five years we've been around, because we weren't a certified firm.
lilmarsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilmarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2012 at 11:34pm
Yeah thats not bad.
Lars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2012 at 11:54pm
I have never got a call or job from them or anybody asking about it
akpowerclean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akpowerclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2012 at 6:11pm
I have paid thousands of dollars to IICRC over the past 34 years. My techs have had about every certification that there is.
I dropped my certified firm status several years ago. I was not getting any calls from their website and i was tired of paying all that money to keep everybody updated. Here are my pros and cons.

What I like about them is-

~you do learn some good information.
 ~Having the IICRC certifications, patches, stickers and logos is what in marketing is called a trust point. One more reason for potential customers to trust you.
~Some manufactures require that consumers use IICRC certified firms to keep warranty valid. 
~Being able to call the IICRC experts when you have a problem. (I did this many times and they really did help me out)

The cons-
~On their website they write the following to consumers-
"In order to achieve IICRC-certified status, firms must meet a rigorous list of standards in business ethics and expertise. "  If you have been a certified firm you know that the classes are pretty easy, the tests are very easy, they do not do any thing about ethics except you have to agree to be ethical. You don't have to prove your expertise you just need to not flunk the tests. 
Any time an organization overstates their benefits I have a hard time believing the other things they say.

Still I am grateful to them for the education I received and for starting me on the path to researching all things carpet cleaning.

If I was a brand new company starting out in carpet cleaning then I would still join the IICRC and take advantage of the information. Newer companies also need every marketing advantage.

Akpowerclean

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 11:46am
They are collecting dues and making millions.

for what... a once a year news letter....??
a course without any hands on experience???

This is BOGUS a scam plain rip off....  These guys are smarter than the Nigerians, no offence but trueOuch
www.mr-steamer.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akpowerclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 1:32pm
Mr. Steamer (Mr. Steaming mad)

Hmmm I am guessing that these guys did something to make you feel cheated and now you want to help others not to get cheated as you have been. I applaud that sentiment. We need more people to stand up for what they believe and to help others in the process.
At the same time I think we need to be cautious of two things.
One is that when we rant we alienate more people than we convince. Reasoned and believable words will better give us the result we are looking for. Certainly almost everybody who has been a part of IICRC  understands that the IICRC has a good purpose, which is to educate carpet cleaners. They do some things pretty well. They do provide value. Are they perfect? No. In my previous post I mentioned things about them that I don't like. You make a good point when you say that they do no hands on training. I agree, I believe testing should be done on whether they can actually get the stains out, can they remove that water stain from the cotton upholstery, show me that they can identify carpet fibers and know what solutions clean best. I am not a member now even though I was for many years. I have even been upset at them a couple of times. But when we say they are a scam and no value what so ever, it's just not true and most people do not believe it.

Second discounting them completely is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. For many carpet cleaners, particularly if they are new to the industry, the IICRC is something they should carefully consider because there is value there.
One forum member stated that they were not a certified firms but their technicians received certifications so that they could state in their marketing materials they have IICRC certified techs. For very little money they are getting their techs some classroom training and use it for marketing. Being able to call the on staff experts is a huge value. They saved my bacon a couple of times.

It is a matter of educating yourself about the value of joining an organization getting the most out of your investment.

So, Mr. Steamer, thank you for being a champion for what you feel is right but might I suggest that you turn down the volume and the rhetoric so that we can hear you.

Akpowerclean
(been around the block several times)

papagator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papagator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 3:59pm
Sorry AK... I am TOTALLY behind the "Steamer" on this one. I came out of the seminar 15 years ago thinking WTF?????. Then I was silly enough to spend another 50 US to write an exam, to certify, for what? You must be employed by the IIcleantrustRC.
just swimmin in circles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akpowerclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 4:43pm
Dear PapaGator,

Nope, not even close. I am not even a big fan of the IICRC. As I stated I am no longer even a member of the IICRC. I dislike their exaggerated statements of how they hold certified firms to stringent standards of work and ethics. I don't think they do enough. I think they charge too much money for what they do.

But they do have some value as I already stated twice. What I am a fan of is the value they have in marketing and for a person just starting out in the business.

Apparently when you went to your first "seminar" either you already knew the information they were teaching and it was a waste of your time or you had a terrible instructor and it was a waste of your time.

In my case it was in about 1994 when I went to my first class. Even though I had been a carpet cleaner for a while that first class opened my eyes to the importance of knowing the science of carpet cleaning. Suddenly I understood why somethings I had been doing were not working well. I am embarrassed to say that before I went to the IICRC class I thought I was a pretty good carpet cleaner. After the class I realized I had a lot to learn in order to become an expert carpet cleaner. Did IICRC make me an expert carpet cleaner? No. A lot of research and a new willingness to try out new techniques and technology did. I made a point of writing for my company an employee manual that is over 300 pages of how to handle any cleaning situation my technicians came across. I want my techs to know not only what to use but why it works. 
I will agree with you that for some who already have the knowledge or who get it from different sources then IICRC is a waste of your time and money. Also for the record I don't think that their refer an IICRC member program has much value either. At least for me in Alaska we rarely received a referral from them.

In my semi retirement ( All I do now for my carpet cleaning business that I still own is marketing) I also have a small marketing company. I work with lots of different types of companies. Something called trust points is important in the kinds of businesses that go into peoples homes. Being  BBB member is a trust point. Being an IICRC certified technician is a trust point. This stuff means something to consumers when they are choosing who to hire.

I believe when you are first starting out trying to build your business and you can't say "I have been in business for 12 years" then you need to have something to help build your credibility. Certification is one of those things. As a new business without a lot of repeat customers I believe the IICRC is a useful tool to show credibility and gain knowledge. 
Once you reach a certain point of growth you might choose to drop it.

All I am saying is that there is good with the bad. Take advantage of the good. For a new business the cost of being a cc certified tech is a good investment.
 Until four years ago I have lived all of my life in Alaska.
I now live in Spokane where I do the marketing for my business in Alaska and I run my small business marketing company here.
Other than being a certified firm for a number of years and having my technicians be certified I have had zero affiliation with IICRC.  
Please no more insinuations that I am in cahoots with the IICRC.
If I were with the IICRC would I have as many bad things to say about them as I do good?

Have a great carpet cleaning season PapaGator

Akpowerclean
www.akpowerclean.com

papagator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papagator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 10:43pm
I wasn't insinuating anything. Sorry if you took it that way.Was just yankin yer chain... Sheesh!! When I first took the Carpet Care Tech. course I knew NOTHING about carpet care... that is why I went in the first place. I came out still basically knowing nothing due to fact that there was ZERO hands on training.

It was also not a bad teacher either. The teacher at the time was Jim Darling (RIP Jim). You may know that name from Chemspec. He was a carpet cleaning genius IMHO. I was hoping to come away with some of that genius so I could continue in my job which is the Caretaker of a 125 bed Nursing home with 100,000 sq. ft. of carpeting that was not there before. Guess what? Didn't happen that way. Oh, I am still there, and have been for 36 years, but no thanks to what I took away from the IICRC. Thank the good Lord that there was a CC'er here in town that let me shadow him for a bit (someone like Steamer I would be willin to bet) so I could learn true hands on techniques.

You may have warm and fuzzy feelings for the IICRC but for me, I got squat from them, but got the pleasure of meeting Jim out of it.
Good Luck to you in your semi retirement.
Ross, (Da Gator)
just swimmin in circles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akpowerclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2012 at 11:56am
Ross Da Gator,

Sorry If I sounded sensitive.  Considered my chain yanked. What I took away from my first class was not so much a great amount of new knowledge but instead the fact that I had a lot to learn. Most of the knowledge I did learn over the next many years was not from IICRC but was from reading Cleanfax articles and researching on the internet. I did a ton of experiments in my shop trying different solutions on different fibers and with different stains. I wish I had a carpet cleaner like you did to learn from. I did have several employees that took what I taught them and started their own businesses. Actually my feelings are not particularly warm and fuzzy for IICRC. I just think they do have some value for marketing and for certain people.
Hoping you are swimming in circles where there is money to be made.

Akpowerclean
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2012 at 2:50pm
TEEHEE depending on who you market to...it's all a big waste of time.

Price... Price.... Price... that's all people care about

BBB laughable,  IICRC a joke... no one ever asks or cares about that crap....big business small business don't matter.

Now if your doing floods the IICRC cert is handy and having an adjuster in your back pocket sure damn helps.

But for commercial/residential waste of time
www.mr-steamer.com
papagator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papagator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2012 at 3:30pm
** Yanks AK's chain again just for the heck of it**
just swimmin in circles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>