Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Using only a Truck Mount - Is this Possible??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myteeclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using only a Truck Mount - Is this Possible??
    Posted: 29/April/2009 at 8:50am
Hi All,
We are just getting started in the Carpet Cleaning business.  Right now we just have a portable unit with no truck, but this has given us some time to learn the business a little and decide what route to go.
Here is my question though:
We want to offer several services on top of the Carpet Cleaning from the get-go, like Pressure Washing, Air Duct Cleaning, Tile and Grout Cleaning, and Window Washing.  Is it possible to do a good job with Air Duct Cleaning with just a Truck Mount unit?  I know people do it with less, but probably not very well.  When we buy a truck mount what are the minimum specs we should look for (CFM, etc..)?  The typical CFM seems to be less than 500 on a truck mount, can this be upgraded with some sort of addition that will still fit in the truck?

Same thing with Pressure Washing... Can we do a good job using the high pressure line from the carpet cleaning truck mount unit or are we kidding ourselves?  We already have a portable pressure washer, but it is just the homeowner special type.

Any input or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links

John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2009 at 11:24am
Welcome here.. In these troubled economy diversifiing is your best bet.. Offer all you can.. And 500cfm's is more than plenty for any type of sucking..

If i were to powerwash daily or even weekly its better to get a commercial pw'er.. Rather than wear down your TM.. TM has to be running full bore when running high psi like 2000-3000..Popcorn

Good luck to you.. I am ready to retire soon..Banana Dance
myteeclean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myteeclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2009 at 8:54am
Thanks for the reply John.  Good point about wearing down the TM, I hadn't thought too much into that. 
I will have to look into the commercial pressure washers, any tips on what minimum specs to look for with that?

I have briefly looked into air compressors for the air duct cleaning, and it seems like you can easily spend into the thousands.  How much psi do you need?  I have heard 100 psi, but I would rather go on the high end like 175.  I have read you can just buy a home depot special for a few hundred, but would that really do the trick or do we need a more heavy duty commercial unit?
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2009 at 12:53am
HomeDepot has some nice power washers....
I used my TM for this Hood Degreasing twice a year running 3200rpms @ 1500psi..

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2009 at 8:37pm

$25,000.00 machine

$2500.00 machine
You do the math??? or is that meth???
Just My opinion
Atlantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2009 at 11:17am
I have a Panther 25 and I am extremely happy with the power of the unit and the price. The unit costs about $13,000-$14,000 brand new (bought mine new) and compares to $25,000 units. It gets 550 CFMS, but that doesn't mean anything without comparing it to mercury lift. It gets up to 22 (pushed 25 once) inches of mercury lift which is WAY too much for carpet cleaning. The blower is adjustable but you'll never be able to push your wand at that high level. So I keep mine around 15. Stairs always dry instantly and my carpet cleanings dry in about 2 hours average (but I have methods to dry in as little as 20 minutes). I clean with about 500 psi too so I'm using tons of water, getting great heat and it's sucking up everything it puts down!

Now the bad news.

My machine is two years old. At two years old, EVERYTHING started breaking down aside from the blower, the engine and the water pump (thank GOD and knock on wood!). My heater coil busted (luckily it busted at the compression fitting so I didn't have to replace it, just cut the coil and put on a new fitting), my couplers been replaced several times, the tempature send unit's been replaced, the the thermostats been replaced, all of my floats have gone out (sometimes twice) and my freaking stainless steel fresh water tank sprung a leak at the seems. I've even had to replace stupid things like the spark plug connections and my oil drain sprung a leak at the connection on the hose. They put a freaking swivel on it too so that meant I had to take the engine completle off and flip it on it's side to fix. Recently my manifold snapped in half too out of the blue as I was changing my coupler. I feel these things are due to poor workmanship in parts rather than a fault in the design of the machine or wear and tear. But if you know how to fix it, they are easy fixes. Just a pain in the ass sometimes getting the old nuts and screws off.

I've put a couple of thousand dollars in it for repairs in the course of time but I've learned to do EVERYTHING myself which saves a sh*t load of money on labor charges! I even installed it into my new van by myself and ran the fuel tap. It's really simple. Just put it together the way you found it.

With that said, it's a powerful unit if you understand how to fix it. I don't know about hydramaster and prochem units (as far as maintanance) but I know Chemtex is really finicky so consider that. But you can buy two Panther units for the price of an equal Hydramaster unit and three units for the price of a Prochem. All do the same thing. Extract the same, same tempature and same water pressure.

Victor specifically told me to NOT use this for pressure washing. I don't like to take mine past 1000PSI anyway because it seems to really put a load on the water pump. So pressure washing, definitely stay away from with your truck mount. The rest though like Air Duct cleaning, hell yes! It's a great selling tool too. Just tell the customer you have 300 ft of hose to work with where a portable unit only has 50. They'll get the picture ;).

Tile and grout cleaning.. oh man, no comparison. There is no way you can get tile and grout as clean without a truck mount. There are portys that claim to do the same but seriously, (and here is one you can use) "If we could do a better job with a $1000 portable unit, we would buy 50 of them and do 200 jobs a day". That goes for anything you do with your truck mount and customers understand this 100%.

So to sum it up, yes, you can do everything with your truck mount and do it much better and much quicker.

My advice to you though. If you are mechanically inclined, DO NOT buy a brand new unit. I'll never buy a new unit again. There are good units in vans for $10,000 and $15,000. Get a good used unit and learn to work on it if it breaks down. I see guys with $80,000 trucks and a $2,000 a month payment. Screw that. Customers don't care what you pull up in, they care if you are doing a good job. And if you have a good work ethic, you understand the cleaning procedures, pH levels, your chemicals and you convey this knowledge to your customers, they will use you over and over and over again.

I started with a brand new unit and used van that I wrapped and spent tons of money on uniforms, hats etc. etc. Now I drive a completely WHITE 1994 Ford E-150 and wear kackie pants and a black t-shirt and my in home sales have significantly gone up.

I had the game backwards. I thought a big company image would bring me more customers. But frankly, people like to deal with small local businesses and they'll use you over and over not only because you do a good cleaning but because they like YOU and they'd rather give their money to you than a big company.

Here is another good one for you guys to use.

"We do the same as the big name companies. Same equipment, same chemicals etc. The difference is you don't pay for our TV and radio ads".

SteamProNYC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteamProNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2009 at 3:59pm
I guess it depends on where you work. I can almost never park in front of a customers home. Most of my customers are in apartment building and do not have driveways. I can't run hoses to the 20th floor of a building. If you work in large cities, you need a porty.
Steam Pro Carpet Cleaning NY - Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning in NYC.
Remove Ink Carpet - Remove Ink Stains
Climate Doctors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Climate Doctors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2009 at 4:43pm
I have and am very with the Rotobrush system... I think the complete package was about 14k. It does a better job than the negative air system we use and it fits on the truck with all our other equipment.

I would recommend it highly.

paul

Climate Doctors
Climate Doctors
"Your Home Comfort Experts"
http://www.climatedoctors.net
FuzzSucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzSucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2009 at 1:17am
thats interesting to hear about the rotobrush. i had one of their old portable units and I hated that thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply