Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Business Marketing Advertising and Promotion Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Marketing and promotion discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool-aid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2004 at 3:22pm
I'd like to see your balance sheets.  It comes down to profit, right?  My best relationship(no sex) brings me in $30,000 a year with absolutly no advertising, except a caramel latte here or there.  My next relationship(no sex, plus I'm not gay) He provided me $12,000.  Again, no advertising except a couple of lunches here and there.  I'm sure your bringing in Lots of money with your advertising campaigns, but what are your profits?  Advertising is great for picking up new relationships, not making profits. How much more money do you make the 2nd time they call compared to the first(again,PROFITS)?  I appreciate your confident opinions, but your wrong on the opinion that the relationship doesn't matter.  What about security?  My customers get other cleaners asking them for business all the time,  They will not change.  WHY IS THAT?  The BIG BOYS in town can't get their business.  The UNDERCUTTERS can't snach them away either.  They're committed to me, and I to them.  It's really nice to only have to service 10 major customers, insted of paying for new ones a thousand times over.   Yellow pages in my opinion are the most stratigic for finding people who are looking for our services.  In this case, your COKE theory is correct.  The copy cat game is just a way to get your company confused with the others.  The unique name and concept will be remembered when the need comes up, not "the steamer guy who was here last time, what was his name again?". (NOT YOU MR. STEAMER, I"M SURE YOU KEEP ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS)
Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2004 at 7:15pm

Kool-aid I like te way you operate.......

I do all my neighbours for free every single one on the street....but then I get their sisters, ant's cousins, grand parents, mom and dad, kids...the list goes on and on...it's all about relationships....

I drop my advertising in a few freebees but it pays off ten fold....

I have group cleanings....sometimes we are so busy we have to turn away some work...

I promote me...people want me....I give them me...or mini me(thats my younger brother).....they love us to death.....we love them back

Oh they all pay CASH!

Cash is king!

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2004 at 9:24pm
      Mr. Steamer I can't beleive you said the CASH word!!!!!!!   
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 1:49am

Adwa...I'm not worried unless you are an auditor from the government...and if you are ....in that case I ment

Johnny Cash you know the singer

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 10:51am
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

Adwa...I'm not worried unless you are an auditor from the government...and if you are ....in that case I ment

Johnny Cash you know the singer

That difference from certified cleaners with echics.  They are for hire they are not for sale.  Cash or no cash

True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 12:08pm
Oh so I shouldn't  take payment for my services.....listen buddy I see no where here in this ethics book where it says "don't accept cash"
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 4:51pm

Smile

Edited by nightrider - 22/November/2007 at 11:36am
Monsterclean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsterclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 11:54pm

Kool-aid.  It is not difficult to get commercial work.  I can do large areas for a low price and still earn a profit, but commercial only covers 9pm to about 3 am.  Residential property (days) is another matter.  I do a lot of work, much of it from referrals.  I charge $30 a room (up to 400 sq ft a room, but it all averages out).  Some of you may be able to get the work with a low-dollar campaign.  I haven't learned how.  I tried using a credit-card sized ads (in the yellow pages).  The problem with small adds is that they tend to draw the wrong callers.  All they want to know is how much is it going to cost.  I get much better callers from bigger ads.

I now run what are called double-quarter ads.  I don't know why Verizon calls them double-quarter ads, because they are really only 1/4 page.  I run my ad in two major yellow page areas for $30k a year.  I plan to expand and will buy a bigger ad next year.  The yellow pages are my most effective (and most expensive) advertising medium.  I tried the value clipper, flyers, quarterly magazines, etc., but barely returned what I spent on the ads. 

For what it is worth.... The Verizon Yellow Pages will not run a credit check.  If your are operating on the margin, set your company up as a corporation, use your equipment as start-up capital, then run an ad that hits 500,000 people.  If it doesn't work, declare bankruptcy.  You are not the corporation; you are only a stockholder.  Declaring bankruptcy will not effect your credit (this is why it is so difficult to borrow money as a corporation.)  If it does work, you are a hero $$$.  At least you will have given yourself the chance to succeed.  It is the American way.  

Oh yea....Make sure that you operate the corporation as  a corporation.  If you don't follow the rules, the attorney's will "pierce the corporate veil" and attach your assets (assuming you have any).  That is also the American way.

No, I have never used this strategy myself.  

Edited by Monsterclean
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2004 at 11:13pm

you got to take the chance to make the money

Rick/Magic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 1:05pm
KEEP IT SIMPLE, people, KEEP IT SIMPLE...customers don't know (and don't care) who has the greatest truck-mount in the world...they just want their carpet cleaned...with the least hassels as possible...put yourself in their shoes...they don't want a sales pitch...they just want you to clean their carpet as quickly as possible and you to get out so they can get on with their lives...and they want to be able to trust you to do the job right...and believe me, price is not that important...they don't want referal programs, or any other programs that complicate what they want from you...clean carpet...learn the difference between "feature" and "benefit" when you do any advertising...
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts
surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 4:12pm

I agree that no one I've met cares about the greatest TM, but they don't want me to be quick.  I tell them that their 4 rooms & hall WILL take 2+ hours as a minimum.  If any of them have had the '15 minutes per room' guys, then they will appreciate what I tell them: The reason it takes time is that the room has to be vacuumed first, then I will scrub in a hot pre-spray, giving extra attention to the traffic areas, then when I 'steam-clean' I'll pay extra attention to these areas again.  I'll also clean behind the doors, get all the corners etc... my cost includes helping to move lounges, recliners, tables, & chairs, (customer deals with electroninc gear & knick-knacks.)

Is that a sales pitch?  Sure is... but it's the truth. Some people respond to features or advantages, while others dig benifits. Do I list the extra attention to detail as a 'feature' of our service?  You better believe I do.  Do I also tell them the BENIFITS of using our service?  I'd be silly not to.  I sprinkle in the advantages on an as-needed basis.

At this stage, price is not important.  If they are not interested in what our procedure is then it's time to change the attack & ask some more questions.

I agree that the customer does not WANT referal programs, but they can be excited into being a part of one.  This is something that you do for YOU... not the customer. (sure, you make it seem as if you're doing the favour..)

Most of them have only had the cheap guys:  butt-crack showing, late on arrival, over wet carpets, edges not done, stains come back: they're just a bunch of yobbos.

cheers,

Allen
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 4:40pm
you mean like the mass mail bait and switchers...showing up an hour late wearing a "AC/DC' tee shirt, dragging in some grocery store portable machine and "upselling" the second they walk in the door...I get so tickled at seeing all of their ads...with all those disclaimers...they are really doing real carpet cleaners a favor....because they never get repeat business...once we clean someone's home after they have used one of those clowns, it's so easy to make them a repeat customer...I used to get some of those guys calling me trying to get me to give them a job with my company...they would always say "man, I can sell"...and then I'd say "but, can you clean?"
and my back hurts
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 4:47pm
anyone can pressure sell... I preffer not to sell... I always do a few extras...  people don't like feeling hostage in their own home
www.mr-steamer.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 5:16pm
true, mr steamer...do the job right first of all...and the add ons will come...
and my back hurts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>