Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Business Marketing Advertising and Promotion Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Cold Calls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Calls
    Posted: 10/May/2004 at 1:26pm

Hey,

I was told by an old carpet cleaner to forget the phone book because it never paid for itself, and that the only way to get  ANYWHERE was referrals and cold calling.

Given my experience of weak returns from advertising, and the fact that I have gotten a good chunk of my work from referrals, I'm going to increase my cold calling.

Can anybody provide some pointers here? (useful only, please.)

What's your 30 second phone pitch?  For residential, people say clean once a year-- How often to you recommend cleaning for professional?  For restaurants?

Maintenance contracts may be another issue, but I'm interested in how you all address that as well.

Thanks

Roll on, Buddy
Sponsored Links

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2004 at 10:49pm
I don't think Telemarketing is as good as it use to be... I think you have to be a bit more personal to get customers
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2004 at 2:03pm

Hokie,

You want to make sure you have your speil all together before you call- that speil should include an opening line that captures their interest and leads them to ask questions which you already have answers for.  Write down your selling points one by one then, practice putting them all together in a single opening sentence.  Less is more, and totaly avoid any negative words like can't, don't, no, etc.  There is always a positive way to state a negative thing.  

What your speil is depends alot on what image you want your business to have.  It can be very agressive or not.  Agressive will get you more business but you might not like the way it makes some people veiw your company.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2004 at 2:10pm

oh, also,

about frequency of cleaning, that depends more on your effectiveness as a salesman than on the "needs" of the customer.   If profit is your priority, than their carpets "need" cleaned as many times as they are willing to pay to have them cleaned.  Especialy where commercial contracts are concerned, they seem to have their carpets extracted once or twice a year, but this can be moved up to quarterly or monthly.  Also, commercial places often have the janitorial service or in house cleaning spot-clean their carpets weekly. 

You might want to consider contacting some local janitorial companies and offer them a referal program.  You refer all the janitorial work from your commercial accounts to them and they refer all the carpet cleaning from their janitorial accounts to you.  Subcontracting is further step in this direction, but of course, you make less.  I know from experience as a long-term janitorial contractor that we have given a ton of carpet cleaning work away and have gotten some janitorial work from carpet cleaners as well. 

HokieClean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2004 at 11:12am

Thanks for  the replies, I'll take it all in.

I'm still in the process of trying to get a steady stream of work coming in, and I'm willing to try anything--except spending more $ on ads.

Roll on, Buddy
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/October/2004 at 8:12pm
NO YOU NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON ADS....LOL
www.mr-steamer.com
Rick/Magic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 10:50am
if you are interested in cleaning resturants, then cold calling is the best way to get them...if you call on 10 resturants, you will get at least 3 of them who will try you...that is if you want to clean resturants...I quit cleaning resturants about 5 yrs ago got tired of all the night work...but that market is always wide open for cleaners...and once you learn how to clean resturants, all other carpet cleaning is a lot easier
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts
surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 4:15pm
I agree with Rick.  Start hitting the pavement (BEFORE they start a meal-time rush though!)

Have a bit of an idea of the questions you'd like to ask first though, and an idea of what you want to get for the job.

Cheers,

Allen
Rick/Magic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2005 at 4:20pm
OOPS!!!...he's right...I forgot to mention that...before 10:30 in the am...and after 2PM...believe me...you will be supprised at the response you get
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts
 Post Reply Post Reply