Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Carpet stinks after cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet stinks after cleaning
    Posted: 04/March/2007 at 12:43pm

Hello,

I’m fairly new to the carpet cleaning, therefore I do not know all the tricks of the trade. I was wondering if some of you could help me out.

I cleaned carpet with rotary extractor at some club few weeks ago. The owner of the club complained that next day whole place smell like it was rotting. I’m normally using Chemspec Carpet Shampoo, and there was never a problem with the smell. Do you have any idea what is going on and why is the smell there? The only thing that comes to my mind is that my machine is not sucking up all the water from the carpet.

Help please!

Ralph

Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 1:23pm
Does the carpet have a pad under it? How is the place heated? How much chemical did you use and how much did you get rinsed out? Poor drying conditions could definately contribute to this conditiion? How long did it take to completely dry?
Just My opinion
wheelerman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 1:46pm
    Agree with doug , sounds like a drying problem..many times if you are doing a heavily heavily soiled carpet and you are forced to use alot of cleaning products sometimes its a good idea to use a airmover to help dry the carpets faster. I speak from experience on this point :)
RAF303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 1:47pm

Doug,

Thank you very much for your quick replay! I will try to answer your questions:

Does the carpet have a pad under it?

-Yes it does

How is the place heated?

-Problem is that the owner of the place won’t let the fans run after I leave. During the winter I think he tries to save on the heating bills too.

How much chemical did you use and how much did you get rinsed out?

-Not much, I’m trying to use as little as possible, perhaps one small cup per bucket of water (3 gal)

How long did it take to completely dry?

- I never had a chance to stay there longer then it took me to clean the carpet. However, once I was there next day after cleaning and carpet was completely dry, but it was during the summer.

Poor drying conditions could definitely contribute to this condition?

-Do you think that my rotary extractor does not have enough suction power? Drying such a large area with fans doesn’t make a lot of sense as I would need to buy 4-5 more fans.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 2:47pm
The owner is part to blame. You need air exchanges after cleaning + I would guess you got the pad wet in a few places where you felt you needed to over clean. To avoid this you need to pre treat these bad areas, agitate and lots of dwell time so when you extract you use less water. As you do more commerical work you will find out what works best. But let me remind you of one thing. Explain to the owners that they must leave the air handleing system on immediately after cleaning to attempt to avoid this in the future.
Just My opinion
RAF303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 3:17pm
Doug,

Thank you very much for your advice! I will try to convince the owner to let the fans run after the cleaning. Pre treating also sounds like a good idea. There are several places that are heavy trafic areas but the rest of the place does not really require a lot of water to clean it.

Thanks again!

Ralph

Edited by RAF303 - 04/March/2007 at 3:21pm
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 3:37pm
Wow Doug great info!!!!!!!!

Good luck Raf
www.mr-steamer.com
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 4:18pm
What if this club was some fancy club that bought a wool blend carpet............I did one of those and it smelled for a week.

Nightrider
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 4:50pm
Hmmmmmmmmmm......NR makes a good point. Did it smell like a wet dog?

The STD Meter
RAF303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 5:03pm

This guy is cheap Wink he told me that he bought the cheapest carpet he could find. I do not know what the smell is like as I never had that problem before. He told me about it only after he replaced the carpet with new one. He wants me to clean his new carpet but he wants to avoid the “rotting” smell after cleaning.

The place I’m talking about is a night club, lot’s of people, drinks being spilled on the floor, people throwing up, and God only knows what else. Could such condition also contribute to the “stink” problem? I do not have degree in biology, but I would imagine that such carpet is an ideal please for bacterias to grow. Once I use water on the carpet bacterias sitting in the carpet are getting a “bust” from the water and they start to grow and cause the problem?

Edited by RAF303 - 04/March/2007 at 5:04pm
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 8:03pm
You betcha!     
Could somebody just clean my carpets!
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 9:46pm
The carpet will not support and cause your mold problem but what is spilled on it will. The carpet will be a 100% synthetic. If it is a bar there should not be pad under it............... what is ths guy thinking?? You should sit him down and explain just what he needs for carpet. Buy a heavier commerical carpet and forget the pad. find if it is being installed over old wood or concrete. I have said enough. People don't like reading my BS?
Just My opinion
RAF303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAF303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2007 at 11:06pm
I find your comments very usueful. Thanks!!!
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/March/2007 at 1:58am
Doug reminds me of Barney Rubble...............LOL

Nightrider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>