Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Hi- wanting to start, could use advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 7:27pm

about all the bb's- hehe...I am a manic-depressive type without the depressive part, so the point where most people burn out is the point where I have to stay to just keep my engine warm...as long as I get 4 hours of sleep 5 days and 10 hours 2 days I am in good shape.  Also, I look at the bb-bouncing as study and research.  I have alot in common with janitorial/hardfloors guys because that swhat I've been doing for the past 15 years, 8 of those as operations manager and two of them as an independent commercial contractor. 

Padmans pads cost 6 bucks a peice.  I don't see any portable extractor doing the same job as the OP system, unless you have a really experienced carpet guy doing it.  One reason OP is so attractive to me is because of the curve involved; you need less experience to be good at it than you need to be good at extraction.  Also, the concept of pad + oscilation is extremely familiar to me considering all the years I've done vct.

Sponsored Links

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2004 at 11:36pm

That's cool Tom  what ever method you think will make you happy then thats the way to go.

Any word on Coit yet, I don't think there is nothing wrong with going on BB because if I did I wouldn't be here would I. I have learned a lot just from what everyone has to say. Being in the industry helps to keep the interest to. When I went on the other BB board though I felt lost to what they were talking about in most of their posts, I did learn a few things. Good luck to them.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:24am
From COIT and a few other places I have gotten a card in the mail thanking me for submiting a resume etc. and that I should know within 30 days whether or not I am hired.   I guess thats how people are hired anymore.  If I don't get a call in a couple days, I'll deliver pizzas, I can't wait any longer and am starting to get irritated.  30 days????  There is such a thing as a job-market, working is an exchange of labor for money, like any other sale.  I don't make the car salesman drive across town to my house with the car I like, submit an in-depth resume, interveiw him, and then send him a card a week later thanking him for coming but that I won't know for 30 days if I want to buy the car or not.   I guess they try to weed out the people who don't want to be there for the long term.  Like I said, I'll deliver pizzas (good money in the tips) for a few months until I have enough to buy the system I want, then I'll just teach myself/take the IIRC course and be certified and done with it.   I got screwed pretty bad about a year ago and the result is I can't expand the janitorial/hardfloors end instead of getting a job, and can't sell the equipment I have- which I would much prefer to do.   rough night
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:34am

Tom what bullsh*t is that, I can't believe a cleaning company would be so stupid as to wait that long to hire. Either they don't need employee's or they have a high flying attitude about who they are.

Company's here are dying looking for workers like you but I do recall in the first post I wrote you that they do want to hire someone that will be with them for some time.

Come live in Toronto and we here will fix you up. You sound much to intelligent to be wasting your talent on delivering pizza's. Not knocking people that do that job. Everybody is entitled to make a living.

It's Friday night and I remember a time when that meant something party on!!! Now I wait for my teenagers to get home because Friday night is a happening night for them.  I'm telling you this to lighten your mood, is it working.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:42am
ya, it is bull Sastrikastrikit.  My fiance just cleaned so theres no way I can find it, but I wish I had the card in front of me to show exactly how they put it.  I got one from a hospital looking for an environmental services manager, one from COIT and one from servicemaster who is looking for an area manager.  I know I can handle anything that has to do with cleaning managment on the operations side, but I just want something quick, thought COIT or a local indie would be the way to go.  Yep, friday nights ain't what they used to be.  I got home from a job a little while ago, and got another one lined up for 10:00 am, so that with my 11 month old son means no parties for me for quite awhile.  Thanks for tryin to lighten my mood, ya it helped a bit.  I don't mind being angry about stuff usually, they say living well is the best revenge and I am hell-bent on getting mine. 
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:49am

btw, check this out:  http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/  hehe

No legal job is beneath me if it earns me the money to make my opportunities grow.   Thanks for the nice comments though

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 12:51am
Great saying I never heard that one before. I better get some shut eye, I have a baseball game in the morning and 12 young thirteen year old boys expecting me to get them in shape for the game. 
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 1:03am
hehe have fun!
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2004 at 9:31am
TomR:  A little advice. You are applying for a carpet cleaning position right?  Are you with me so far?  You must remember that they want someone that they can  mold into their operation OK. Now this is where the trouble starts.  Reading your posts you appear very intellegent and a man of many words.  Question to you.  Do you think you may be intimidating the person that is interviewing you?  Sit back and relax if you can.  Just answer their questions and only the questions.  You cannot to be more intellegent than the person on the other side of the table unless they are looking for a manager or other supervisor's position.Guitar
Just My opinion
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2004 at 12:27am

Thats great advice Doug, I haven't looked at it like that.  People have warned me to not "dazzle them with BS", maybe thats what they meant.  I am always afraid of not coming across as smart enough.  I am not from the better part of town and I am always thinking that it is really obvious as soon as I open my mouth to talk.  I have gone to one interveiw for area manager of cleaning company (local university campus) but I almost don't want that one.  I'm not tryin to run anyones operation but my own.  I just wanna clean some friggen carpets already.   

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2004 at 6:51pm
TomR there is nothing wrong with showing them that you're not some JOE BOY that they can just kick you around.  Owners want a person that they don't have to micro-manage.. Nothing wrong with acting like you could be the boss
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2004 at 9:06pm
Mr. Steamer: Your right but tooooo many cooks spoil the broth.  I am not looking for someone to mold me I am looking to mold someone into my company.  Maybe thats why you in previous posts have such a hard time finding people.   Maybe they don't want to be the one with the brains making nothing.Guitar
Just My opinion
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2004 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Mr. Steamer: Your right but tooooo many cooks spoil the broth.  I am not looking for someone to mold me I am looking to mold someone into my company.  Maybe thats why you in previous posts have such a hard time finding people.   Maybe they don't want to be the one with the brains making nothing.Guitar
No because I hate to have to teach an idiot without a clue....I only want to tell a person once....If I have to tell them twice then I'd rather do it myself...I want someone who knows what they are doing...or someone who is a quick study
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2004 at 10:24pm
Mr. Steamer:  I think one of us is missing the point.  TomR wants an entry level job to learn about carpet cleaning.  Am I right so far?  Now if he goes on like he was born with a golden wand in his mouth that is not going to assist him in the job hunt is it?  I f someone came to you sounding like  they wrote the book on carpet cleaning and new jack sh*t than what? I may be wrong.Guitar
Just My opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>