Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

more money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more money
    Posted: 04/April/2004 at 3:06pm

is anyone putting up their price this spring. 2 or 3 cents per sq makes a huge difference.

nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by greg greg wrote:

is anyone putting up their price this spring. 2 or 3 cents per sq makes a huge difference.

Greg raising prices is always touchie issue no matter what you will probably lose one or two when you increase. One of the problems which I am sure to get a response is.  The bait & switch room cleaners the national adds. I have one now 2 Rooms $59.95 small print max 200 sq. st closets count as rooms bathroom count as rooms. If they haven't been cleaned for at least 2 months you need our 2 step cleaning thats extra berbers extra extra extra.  Their price never go up.  They just keep leaving with more money.  So how do you raise your prices without losing a few customers?  Some your better without.  No offence Stanley.  I didn't mention any names I just have to call a spade a spade. 

terry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 4:33pm

I don't want customers i want clients.

Raise your price ,if you have built a great client base it should not be a problem.The ones you lose will be made up with the new prices.

p.s you might lose a couple but it should all come out in the wash.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 5:02pm
Wow Terry I am impressed  I want clients. Don't we all.  Your paragraph appears to be taken word for word out of a carpet cleaning manual.  Times have changed.  Loyalty is not loyalty at least not like it used to be.  You can only charge what the market will bear.  Just because someone is getting $.30 a sq ft in one area does not mean you can get it in your area.  The term I would rather fight than switch is gone.  People are always shopping for better you just have to keep giving them a reason to use your services and still just like a bad habit your gone for no reason than someone cheaper or better, or a different system came along.  so cherrish your clients because they may become someone elses potential customer.
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 7:20pm

i can't recall a client ever complaining anytime our price has gone up. they want good service and they are willing to pay for it. and if they don't want to pay, they can go else where.

nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by greg greg wrote:

i can't recall a client ever complaining anytime our price has gone up. they want good service and they are willing to pay for it. and if they don't want to pay, they can go else where.

Greg:  A client going else where.  What would that client be called? People have different ways of complaining.  Some verbally, some not.  some just say nothing and some just go away.  Again what the market will bear.

terry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 7:49pm

Yes it was taken from the manual.

Was about the only good thing that course or outfit  did for me.

I don't care who gets what or in  what area.

I charge 20 cents a sq .

And yes we move most furniture,and do a great job. Why shop if you have the best?

Why do people by B.M.W PORCH AND ROLLS? Because you get what you pay for.

That is why we have clients and only clients.Regards Terry

Edited by terry
Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2004 at 10:22pm

There is always someone that can do it cheaper and maybe even better.  I like to know I'm making money off a job...or I get a bad taste in my mouth.

Sometimes I'm higher sometimes I'm lower...I don't worry about it, as long as you stick to your price your fine...prine them out.....carry a list with you...the price is the price and there is nothing you can do about it...Just don't bargain

People & Standards You Can Trust
adcc007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adcc007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2004 at 1:47pm

I live in Illinois.  Can anyone tell me how much I should charge per sqft?  Is charging by sqft the way to go or having a set price per room with a certain amount of sqft?  Also, do I charge for moving furniture?  What all furniture she be moved? 

If anyone can give me some advice that would be great!

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2004 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by adcc007 adcc007 wrote:

I live in Illinois.  Can anyone tell me how much I should charge per sqft?  Is charging by sqft the way to go or having a set price per room with a certain amount of sqft?  Also, do I charge for moving furniture?  What all furniture she be moved? 

Charge for anything you can.....I find per room rates makes it easier to give a quote over the phone...most customers can't give you the size over the phone
surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2004 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by adcc007 adcc007 wrote:

Most other carpet cleaners here quote over the phone by the room, then add on charges as they get there.  Common extra charges include: room size larger then standard, pale coloured carpet, pre-vauum, furniture moving, extra drying pass, heavily soiled carpet, call-out fees, after-hour fees, weekend fees, grooming, whatever they can think of. 

Some people feel that this is a legitimate way to do business. I feel that they should just raise the Jolly Roger and accept who they really are.

If I quote over the phone, I loose the job most of the time, unless they have been recommended.  So I quote in person when possible. There are a couple of other people that do this also. It's not always practical, and YES, that means two visits to the house usually.  I have won most jobs I quote in person. I make it worth my while.  I give a firm, written price. They are charged by the area I clean.  Here, that's 'per square metre.'

The price I charge will not help you, but call up 30 other carpet cleaners, get a quote on three rooms and a hallway, stairs, upholstered chairs, an antique persian rug that belonged to your grandmother, and a rocker/recliner.  Find out when they can do it and how long it will take. See if they do anything else.  Get a quote on that as well.  Ask how business is.  Ask if they're busy.  Ask if they do both commercial and domestic.  Ask what other charges you may be up for.   The best will charge more, take longer, guarentee their work, and be booked out longer, and not add on any silly charges.  They may press other services though.  This is where we aimed our business. Write down your results.  Ask THEM the difference between wet and 'dry' cleaning.  It's usually funny to hear what one says about the other.

Just as a note: to get hold of 30 carpet cleaners, I had to call 38 businesses.  Draw your own conclusions.

The only furniture I am willing to move are those items which are easy to move, and I never touch TVs or VCRs or computers.  I don't want to tune in their stations later, or be blamed for something not working. This is discussed at the quoting stage.  If a china closet is never moved around, why on earth would you clean underneath it?  Chairs, lounge suites on rollers, coffee tables.... usually not a problem.  Move 'em to one side of the room, or the centre of the room, clean, move again, place plastic under the metal or wooden legs to prevent causing rust or staining.  If the legs are pointed, DO NOT DRAG IT.  That pointed metal leg will catch on the one thread that's loose, and you'll end up paying for new carpet.

Good luck... have fun!

-Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply