Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

High or Low? Which Way to Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High or Low? Which Way to Go
    Posted: 01/April/2004 at 11:36pm

When I'm pricing my own Jobs , I like to price them at $21.00 dollars a area up 200sq ft.  I think this is pretty much middle of the spectrum,  some people think I should charge more, some think I should charge less.

more...always gives you a better quality of customer, with relatively clean well maintained carpets

Less...you get the dirty hell hole, where you worry about getting the bottom of you shoes dirty.(thats the one they always ask you right at the door to take off your shoes)But more volume of calls

middle...gives you a bit of both

where are you on the scale high or low???

Edited by Stanley
People & Standards You Can Trust
Sponsored Links

jackblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 1:29am
I go high, no jobs under $200.00
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 10:16am

yeah, but you're in Oakville.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 10:24am

Originally posted by jackblack jackblack wrote:

I go high, no jobs under $200.00

The good thing that in Oakville a 100psi is not considered a portable. You must have alot of spare time.  But usnig the rather large machine you have $200.00 per day is not bad.  Give me a break no jobs under $200.00 maybe thats why the owner of Service master is a millionare just doing your cast offs.

Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 11:08am

I'm a fairly new business (just over 1 year old)

I'm in the middle of the road on pricing,,raised prices a little bit this year.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 3:35pm

I can say from experience that Oakville carpets are never dirty...all you do is maintain...thats how it should be....maintaining clean carpets...100 psi machine could do you easy...

I like to set up a maintenance agreement this way I'm always cleaning clean carpets.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Steaminpile Steaminpile wrote:

I'm a fairly new business (just over 1 year old)

I'm in the middle of the road on pricing,,raised prices a little bit this year.

There was a day when in the spring we used to call the competition to find out what they were charging.  You have to sit down and figure what your overhead is.  You can't charge $10.00 per room if your cost is$15.00.

If you are running a tm I think you need to generate approx. $75. to a $100 per hour to make money.  Now you are only making money when the wand is going back and forth. So the truck will cost you about .15 a sq. ft to operate before you get any money and I think .15 is cutting it fine. Now this is why you charge more for moving furniture cleaning steps etc.  You have figure how much you need.  I had better quit because the big problem with production cleaners they have no idea if they are making money or not.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 6:35pm

I break my costs down....I workout what it cost for the soap the gas wear and tear, my time.  See when you clean high volume, you pick and choose. 600 sq ft could take me 30 minutes in one house and 90 mins in another. 

It all depends on how much stains there are and how much furniture you have to move.

See when your a sub when you do your initial pre-inspection you have to decide weather the Job is worth it or not.  I don't have the time to give extra attention to 100 stains in 600 sq ft area...if I take the time then I'm not making any money. I need for that area to take me no more than 30 mins max. 10 mins per 200 sq ft(not including setup)

Subbing sucks but it pays the bills....I'm gonna start boosting my own company but it takes time

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 6:58pm

Stanley

Boost your own company by doing something better and different. Be the first, buy a Hydramaster Jet Less Rotary Extractor.

Cleaning carpets better faster and dryer, and guess what. When you are in your 40's  you won't be complaining about your back and shoulders hurting from pushing a wand.

Stop scrubbing, work smarter not harder. Save your strength for handing money to a teller.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 9:28pm

Hell Yes Ted!!!I'm in for that and more!!!!but not while doing mass production cleaning...I'm actually looking at your Chem Spec line...it might be three for the 2 johns and me....

Actually my back never hurts from pushing the wand, actually I like it great excerise...with every stroke I pull my gut in.....Abs O Steel

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 9:46pm
Stanley:  I hate to burst your bubble but you might just as well be using tide.  You cannot not properly clean the average soiled residential carpet that fast.  I only hope that your name is not on your truck.  This is not quality cleaing.  Now what you have is to shake that 1 price fits all attitude and explain just what it would take to do the job right. 1200 sq. ft an hour your truck cannot maintain heat working that fast.  I guess I have said enough 
LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 11:23pm

Now Doug there are 4 pieces to the cleaning pie.

He must load up on the "soap"

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2004 at 8:04am

Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Stanley:  I hate to burst your bubble but you might just as well be using tide.  You cannot not properly clean the average soiled residential carpet that fast.  I only hope that your name is not on your truck.  This is not quality cleaing.  Now what you have is to shake that 1 price fits all attitude and explain just what it would take to do the job right. 1200 sq. ft an hour your truck cannot maintain heat working that fast.  I guess I have said enough 

Well Doug ....I do...it does...I get more request than anyone in the history of this company....I get more referals...I bring in business...some people have the touch...the touch of gold...I can't help it I just do...I lucked out. I could use mud pre-spray and it would still come clean.....I can't figure it out...it must be the way I handle the customers....or like they say carpets are getting easier to clean.

oh yeah...I made a lot of modifications to my Legend....Like I said before I have to be careful it will burn hose...melt carpet...wreck vinyl...toast hardwood...the more I use the hottter it gets

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2004 at 9:58am
Stanley I am glad you do well.  This is not snub at your business.  I hope people are calling you back because of quality and not price.  To some price dictates some the cheaper the better some pay alot more than it is worth because they think the more they pay the better job.  I once had people ask me just what kind of job are they going to get for that kind of money?  I lost the job for being to low priced . Go figure.  I would rather see you work less and make a bit more. But what ever you are happy with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>