Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Starting a biz need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting a biz need some help
    Posted: 25/July/2005 at 10:11am
Hi guys ive been reading this forum for quite some time trying to get tips for starting my business. Ive been thinking about this for about 2 yrs now, whats the hold up u ask well, stupid me i keep finding partners that decide they dont want to do labour oh well. So ive decided im going to try to go it alone im just waiting for the new carpet cleaning dates for the class they advertise here but wanted to know, how much money do i really need to get this business going i plan to do commercial cleaning at night and res if anyone wants their carpets done at night. I live in canada so canadian prices please i was thinking no more than 15 g , get a used cargo van , and buy some used equipment fornm this shop, also could you let me know what exactely i would need, the plan is to start with the carpets and expand into air ducts and hard floors. please any and all advice is welcome peace. Need to get a move on. Also is this even possible as a one man show?
Sponsored Links

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 10:47am
Of course this is possible CC........there are many successful one man carpet cleaners in this business.
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
ccwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 10:56am
Thanks Adwa thats good to know , so at least this isnt a pointless goal , now i just have to get off my arse and get into gear. That was really worrying me though i didnt want to get the thing started and then find out it couldnt be done. So any idea on how much to get this thing going is 15 G realistic starting price or unrealistic? Hopefully i can get a small biz loan so if this thing flops i wont have to pay off the entire loan. Not that im thinking it will flop just trying to be realistic. Side note read a government study that soon trade skills are going to be in high demand, so hopefully i can get in at  a good time.
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 11:09am

CC.........it all depends on which type of equipment you want to start out with......you can start up your own business spending as low as $2,500.....purchasing a portable........or if you want to go the truck mount way 15g would get you a used unit with truck......or a decent TM unit without truck........If you decide to go the TM way.......it is good advise to have contracts already set in place to support that kind of investment. I'm sure the other members will correct me if I'm wrong and also give you good solid advise.

Have a great Day

The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 11:28am

ccwannnabe....

Let me ask you one thing...

why carpet cleaning?????

www.mr-steamer.com
ccwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 12:01pm

@ Adwa it will be a portable machine i dont want to invest truck mount money just yet.

@ Mr steamer well currently i work in an office (7 yrs) and its the worst experience ever , when i used to have a maintenace job (general buliding mainteneace) i was at my happiest, I like to see results and i thought carpet cleaning would be a perfect job for seeing results , the carpet goes from dirty to clean or for my case from dirty to lawsuit ....anyway. But i like the thought of cleaning carpets and there is some good money to be made, not looking to get rich just looking for stability and job satisfaction. I also want the exercise and to be my own boss. From the business point i would like to held accountable for my actions as well and not for someone elses (never had any problems at work ..just how i feel) um so thats it in a nutshell good work get exercise my own boss ...self respect

ccwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 12:05pm
Sorry didnt post this previously Adwa but i was thinking 15g for the van , portable machine, flyers , insurance and cleaning supplies. Is 15 g to much ?
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 1:55pm
CC........I'm out of my league with those kind of numbers........the guys will have to help you out with that one.

True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 2:13pm

do you have any contracts orr leads set-up already???

how do ypu plan to create work???

www.mr-steamer.com
ccwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 2:25pm
Lol i got nothing i plan to get out buy a suit and start making some calls and setting up appointments, if i could get some part time night work doing carpets as an apprentice that might be cool , ok so i guess 15 g is to much thats the best news ive heard, guess the kids can have breakfast and lunch again . The first thing i want to do is the courses so i can get a proper understanding of the business and how to do a proper job as well as learn pricing and such. Then make up a list of packages. And learn the equipment that i will need will help reduce newbie start up price. Right now in the process of selling our house to move into an apt, to save for a new house.....makes sense financially. But during this period which is shortly that is when i can take more risks
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 2:37pm

really  ccwb it's up to you and what kind of service you want to provide..

to start up from nothing 15 g may not do it, if you have to buy equipment and advertise...

I think you misread Adwa...

What you need is a few good commercial contracts...(I hate Commercial lol)

does anyone else have some input???.... I hate to see a newbie loose his shirt

www.mr-steamer.com
ccwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 3:02pm
Well i want to provide good service and get a decent machine thats easy to use and reliable (maybe that ninja one, again all dependant on the course and what i feel is required afterwards). The reason im going commercial is i want to keep my day job until i feel that the business is stable enough to be my new career, thats why im doing nights , I think most ppl (RES) want the work done during the day otherwise i would probably do that instead. If you dont mind the question Mr Steamer how much did it cost you to get underway (if you do mind the question. Also everything i get will be used, start small and focus on maintaining relationships is the plan. Also try contracts throw in bonus services as an incentive. Right now im just doing reasearch getting my papers together and such feel like an idiot for waiting for my last partner, waited almost a year and then he changes his mind.
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 4:17pm

well I started the easy way...I Sub-contracted for a long while... I started out with a portable but quickly moved into a truckmount...

if your subbing the only out lay you have is your equipment

This is my first year out on my own I have two trucks... so you could say we are both at a starting point....

I've already spent 20 g's on just advertising since april if that gives you any Idea...

thats nothing else..just getting the jobs.... I have alot of my own customers which I've stole from subbing over the years, which helps out alot...

I couldn't see me starting from scratch... you need a lot of money to make it...

cash flow is very important

if I where you... I'd do residential evenings and weekends... maybe focus towards evening appointments... people are looking for that now adays all you need is maybe 2 to 5 calls a week to get you rolling....residential is quicker money in too... no invoicing and waiting

as a one man shot it's hard to work and answer the phones, so I hire some days and my wife does it some days....and I do it when it's slow..

it's slow this week and last... because I haven't put out any ads for Aug..  I want to breath this month and take it easy...

so right now I book them my brother does them

I have around 13 calls from now until friday saturady we are off..

keeping asking maybe you'll get some place... all we can do is ask

www.mr-steamer.com
nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2005 at 5:53pm

The way this guy writes, one would think he's a Kennywannabee, but I have a funny feeling that he's a steamerwannabee just because of the fact Steamer always did like to talk to himself, and he's doing a fine job

Nightrider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>