Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Tile and Grout and Hard Surface Floor Cleaning Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

VCT Strip/Finish Prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VCT Strip/Finish Prices
    Posted: 12/June/2005 at 10:46am
If anyone would like to contribute, i am hoping to compare some of my pricing to others throughout north america. I have spent time compiling vinyl strip/finish rates, and have lost three jobs within the last two months because of pricing.

I tend to price jobs based on my materials and a profit that i feel acceptable for the time required, no per foot charges. However, i am interested to see if others are charging per foot charges or also walkthrough quotes, based on materials and time.

Please let me know, need to get a rough idea of what others charge for per sq foot rates, to find out why i am so far outside the normal pricing. I think perhaps i will have to market differently to higher quality clientele?

Edited by JaredW
Sponsored Links

cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2005 at 12:46am
I usually go between .30 and .50 sq ft depending on the condition of the floor, open area or offices, how much stuff to move, how many coats of finish 3-5. I used to do time and materials, but found that sq ft is better for me
JaredW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2005 at 10:41pm
that's about what i've estimated my jobs have sold for. Are you stripping the floors with a machine or by hand? I have found that water-based strippers and finishes have the same results as solvent based, however, I have a request to use solvent based for an upcoming job and i am debating it for several reasons. First, the original finish on the VCT is usually stripped off entirely by the solvent based, and the fumes kill me,( enclosed area, no windows, venting into room via large warehouse style fan, with no vent out placement available. Any recommendations? Solvent-based products you would recommend?

Edited by JaredW
JaredW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2005 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by cmaster cmaster wrote:

I usually go between .30 and .50 sq ft depending on the condition of the floor, open area or offices, how much stuff to move, how many coats of finish 3-5. I used to do time and materials, but found that sq ft is better for me

I agree, can't figure out what others are pricing at. I always put 4 coats minimum on high traffic areas (5 coats if repeat customer with refinishing within 12 months). I can't figure out if i am being cheated out of the jobs by bottom-feeders or if this is really too expensive?
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2005 at 1:20am

Don't worry about what the other guys are doing. Just do a good job and charge accordingly.

I don't recommend any solvent based finishes on anything but wood. Most of the water based products out there are very good. Solvents are problematic for the reasons you mentioned, fumes, difficult to remove, etc.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2005 at 7:25am
cmaster do you do much janitorial?
Just My opinion
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2005 at 8:20am
Not anymore. Used to do over 60K/mo. Most of it was government stuff. Lost it to lowballers over the last 15 years. Life is way less stressful now
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2005 at 12:58am
Cmaster......having some janitorial business can keep you from starving in the winter.
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
Dennis Conner View Drop Down
SGK Basher
SGK Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2005 at 1:45am

I did a job last week at .90 a ft...I didn't want it, but got it anyway.

Fooking HATE VCT!

Give me tile and grout/stone!!!

dontlikedennis View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontlikedennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2005 at 8:03am

.25/foot always 3 coats

you only need more than 3 if you're going to burnish at 2000+ rpm on a regular basis.

use the best stripper you can find then mix it 4:1 or even 2:1 so as to not waste so much time.

JaredW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/July/2005 at 11:22pm
comments greatly appreciated.
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2005 at 1:44am

Originally posted by Adwa Adwa wrote:

Cmaster......having some janitorial business can keep you from starving in the winter.

I have enough to keep me from starving in the winter.

EmpireMike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmpireMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2006 at 1:26am
i would rather get less jobs and closer to 1.00 p/sq/ft then bust my hump and do 3x the work for the same pay.  charge high-use good chemicals-do a good job- and watch the cash roll in.  its easy to charge 25cents a sq.ft if you have some 18yr old kid w/ baggy pants doing the jobs with no insurance working out of the back of a hatchback
explain this to your customers    price is not the oply selling point , and if you are dealing with customers that only care about price there probably gone end up being pains in da AZz     just my opinion

fibro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fibro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/May/2006 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by EmpireMike EmpireMike wrote:

i would rather get less jobs and closer to 1.00 p/sq/ft then bust my hump and do 3x the work for the same pay.  charge high-use good chemicals-do a good job- and watch the cash roll in.  its easy to charge 25cents a sq.ft if you have some 18yr old kid w/ baggy pants doing the jobs with no insurance working out of the back of a hatchback
explain this to your customers    price is not the oply selling point , and if you are dealing with customers that only care about price there probably gone end up being pains in da AZz     just my opinion

Agreed I usually charge 80 cents a square foot the only reason I even do strip and wax is to get the carpet buisness. I've found that the best customers are not overally concerned with price they want a good job first and worry about what you charge second. They also like the convenience of not having to have one guy to do their floor work and another to do their carpets. Just do a good job and be dependable then charge what you need to make a nice profit. Don't worry about losing accounts to someone who is low balling you these do not last and you don't want accounts that are only concerned with price. I have also found that accounts that are most concerned with price are usually the slowest to pay also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>