Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Scotchgard and Teflon Fabric Protection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Need help with scotch guarding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young mountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with scotch guarding
    Posted: 09/June/2005 at 8:00am
Looking for advice. I am new to the industry and will be offering Scotch Guard to my customers. I will be appling it with a Powre Force Sprayer. I know i have to take out the yellow metering tip. My question...... if i run it at normal pressure, heat ect.... will it be using a lot of water that will over wet the carpet and upholstery. I hope i have worded this right. What is a safe pressure to be running scotch guard through the power force. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/June/2005 at 8:12am
applying any fabric protector after cleaning adds more water to the surface of the fabric weather it be carpet or upholstery.  You must apply as per manufacturers instructions.You should not have to adjust your pressure to apply the guard. Under application is not as bad as overapplication, if too little it don't work tooo much can cause a cohesive residue and cause rapid resoiling or the carpet to be hard. On upholstery too much can cause a host of problems. Again one of the experts can assist you better than I.

Scotch guarding should be Scotch Garding . There is no UUUUU in Scotch Gard.
Jim Darling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Darling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/June/2005 at 8:38am

Young Mountain

You have asked a very good question. i have heard repeatedly from many that the absolute best pressure and equipment is an electric sprayer. The pressure is constant (30 lbs?) but you get even application as oppposed to the pump up kind where your pressure starts to drop quickly - leading to uneven application.

The real issue from my perspective is how much you will apply. Most well known products dilute 4 - 1 with water and the gallon of concentrate covers 1200 sq. ft. (250 sq. ft per diluted gallon) The reason for the water is so that it helps carry the fluorocarbon down into the fibers. many cleaners i have met over the years raise the same concern you have - too much water.

If there is a concern with water then just make sure you apply it at the rate of 1200 sq. ft per gallon of concentrate. Measuring this is the hard part. Too much product and you have increased cost and a crusty carpet. Tool little product and it will not perform. However you do it make sure that you brush it in.

Hope this helps

Jim Darling
B Rice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2008 at 4:25pm
hmmm.....sounds like I shouldn't even try to start offering this??? Is there any money in it?
B Rice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2008 at 4:37pm
I was thinking about it...Recently, We've been loosing jobs because we dont?
bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2008 at 6:48pm
If you apply it right there is money in it.  I wouldn't use a hydroforce to apply it though.  Pressure will make a difference in how it goes down, and would never spray upholstery with it either.  Just get a good electric or pump up sprayer.  Electric will be better do to the same consistency of pressure.  I know a lot of ppl say to rake it in and have tested it with racking and non racking.  With out racking it in seems to say more on the surface where IMO I think it is more effective.  For upholstery just get a hand pump unit works well gives you more of a mist. Another disadvantage of running protector with truck is you should flush out your high pressure line of chemical.  Hope this helps
77748 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/May/2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Scotch guarding should be Scotch Garding . There is no UUUUU in Scotch Gard.

It just sounds looks better guard, get it , got it, good. has more meaning behind it .
Butt Shake
No pun intended.

I know you have around a long time  Bow

carpetcare518 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetcare518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2012 at 12:33pm
I use majestic extractor cleaner and the rinse/neutralizer
And it says that it has Dupont 2000 in the solution should I still spray protector on the carpet.
 Post Reply Post Reply