Print Page | Close Window

easy to upsell????

Printed From: Carpet Cleaning Forum
Category: Carpet Cleaners Discussion
Forum Name: Scotchgard and Teflon Fabric Protection
Forum Description: Discuss scotchguard and teflon fabric protection technologies
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5212
Printed Date: 28/March/2024 at 7:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: easy to upsell????
Posted By: Searsguy
Subject: easy to upsell????
Date Posted: 28/July/2008 at 8:03pm
got a question for you guys and gals.  when branching out on your own is it harder to upsell on the scotchgard than say working for a name like sears?  is it the name people trust or what?  i am kinda thinking that it will be harder to upsell just because i wont use the sears name anyore. am i right?  it is really an awesome feeling when a custy ASKS for the gard without you even trying.  of course working for sears that is our main money maker is upselling. kinda sucks when you do a trashed out place and no upsell.  sweat your TongueAngryCoolDead's off for crap dollar.  so what do you think will it be harder to upsell?  any famous selling lines you care to share?

Replies:
Posted By: Soil Lint Green
Date Posted: 28/July/2008 at 10:07pm
Selling is selling.  There is nothing hard about it.  Selling starts with the first NO.  Anything else is just order taking.

Does that answer your question?

-------------
It's ORY GUN, not OR A GONE. Learn to talk.

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 29/July/2008 at 12:13am
It's all the same...some people buy some don't

Date Posted: 29/July/2008 at 12:15am

sell deo first at 50% of booked

let that sit and soak in with the customer...

then sometime during the cleaning or after upsell the gard at 100% of booked and give the deo for free

Posted By: Soil Lint Green
Date Posted: 29/July/2008 at 1:20am
Smart man!

-------------
It's ORY GUN, not OR A GONE. Learn to talk.

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 29/July/2008 at 9:24am
Steamer has some great ideas. He's been doing this for a whileBig%20smile

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 31/July/2008 at 7:51pm

first thing that comes to my mind is that i would always do some cleaning first and let them see how clean it's getting THEN ask

"would you like to protect your carpet and keep it cleaner longer??"

-------------
A.K.A.
Andy

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 31/July/2008 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

sell deo first at 50% of booked

let that sit and soak in with the customer...

then sometime during the cleaning or after upsell the gard at 100% of booked and give the deo for free

Then carrefully explain to them that it is going to take week for the carpet to dry because you just dumped half you chemical rack onto it??? so explain to them that they paid extra to have their carpets rapidly resoil becaues the deo and the gard just don't mix worth a s*it? But who cares nobody said you had to have any ethics when you start carpet cleaning?Guitar

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 31/July/2008 at 11:46pm
It's all about the sales DougBig%20smile

-------------

The STD Meter

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 12:30am
Doug do you clean with your head up your ass?????

The disinfectant goes in with the pre-spray...  of course you have to get something compatible.

There is no resoiling because you AHEM RINSE!

Then you spray your gard on... No resoiling

Up in GodURich tell those damn red necks to take there boots off after coming out of the cow pasture maybe it might slow down your resoiling problem..

Doug if you don't know what your talking about you might think about taking a few IICRC classes...lol

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 12:50pm
Steamer prey tell me just what in hell the disiinfectant does except make you money. It does absolutly nothing because it is not on the carpet long enough?? Do you wear ppe while applying this smelly water??? The only thing compatable here is your invoice with your debit machine???  Maybe I should make an attempt to attend a IICRC certification class??? Who  knows what would happen then??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 10:43pm
Use something like a Dettol the the hospitals use to use...and offical anti-septic
Let it soak in  some dewl time.  it's not hard your doing it with the pre-spray.

doug open your gawd damn mind, why do you always think with tunnel vision.

This stuff doesn't mask smells it neutralizes them.

Doug what ever works for you...in your one horse town.
jump into your GM van
drive 50 miles to a call
turn on your prochem 405
use your chemspec/prochem pre-spray
extract and leave.
don't sell anything

makes for  a happy customer
but a sad you

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 10:55pm
Mr. Steamer the difference between the way I do business and the way you do business???  I see amd meet the people I do work for  unlike you who probably don't even know your neigbour.  I don't sell I reccommend if after reviewing and deciding on my clients needs  then a dettermination is made as to what if anything is needed?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 10:57pm
Mr. Steamer I charge enough for my services that I don't have to upsell to break even on the job??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 01/August/2008 at 11:34pm
There comes a point where your sales/profits peak if you don't upsell and don't raise your prices more than your costs. You can only increase your profit by upselling. If it benefits the customer and you, it's a win/win situationBig%20smile

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 02/August/2008 at 2:19pm
Doug just might have something there , most of us never thought of it , but like when people do it to us , and then we are so surprised................I'm talking about the word  " HONEST "  Imagine that ..... being honest with one another.....what a concept .

We all expect our wives and kids to be honest with us.............yet we turn around and screw our neighbour.

Good for you Doug , you far exceed the word " Professional " Maybe we can all live with fewer luxury toys and be " Honest " It's not the one with the most toys who wins at the end

Nightrider

Posted By: FuzzSucker
Date Posted: 02/August/2008 at 2:54pm
I find the less time I spend up-selling, the more time I spend setting up appointments with all those lovely referrals. Which leads me to more referrals and so on and so forth. 

Don't get me wrong if they need guard or deo, I will sell it if they are ready and willing, but not at the cost of possibly having a situation where the spouse comes home angry at the double sized bill and a major case of buyers remorse sets in. After all you didnt get the chance to sell him/her on the deo.  He/her just sees $$$$Angry.

-------------
http://thepremierclean.com - http://thepremierclean.com | http://carpetcleaning-coloradosprings.com - Colorado Springs Carpet Cleaning

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 02/August/2008 at 3:23pm
And the winner of the Best Business Philosophy is ....................

THE CUSTOMER

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Date Posted: 02/August/2008 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by doug doug wrote:

Mr. Steamer the difference between the way I do business and the way you do business???  I see amd meet the people I do work for  unlike you who probably don't even know your neigbour.  I don't sell I reccommend if after reviewing and deciding on my clients needs  then a dettermination is made as to what if anything is needed?
I never said I did business that way. Thread is about upselling.  If I'm doing a sub call I will sell, because I only make a percentage.  I don't sell on my own jobs, because I'm making way more money. 

Date Posted: 02/August/2008 at 10:17pm
Glad that's settled?

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 03/August/2008 at 11:31am

They asked how to sell more... I answered....you didn't answer doug.

you just jumped on my answer...ripping to to piece calling it un ethical.

please doug could you give a totally ethical way to make more sales.???

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 03/August/2008 at 4:23pm
Some just don't have the mailto:b@lls - b@lls to upsell.. You might never do that customer again in life and you did your very best.. It might be because you have bad breath or bad teeth or your stinky portables stink blew inside the house..LOL  Or your just fat and ugly.. Ahhhh!!

Date Posted: 03/August/2008 at 5:00pm
There's nothing wrong with upselling...almost every business does it .........you go in to buy a pair of pants ( they show you a nice shirt to go with it or shoes ) I went to McDonalds to buy a milkshake and they asked me if I want fries with it.....it is common practise in new car sales .

If you are going to upsell alot, let your customer make an educated decission on the upsell product according to your truthful explanation of it . Mention the pros and cons.............and leave it to them.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 03/August/2008 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by nightrider nightrider wrote:

There's nothing wrong with upselling...almost every business does it .........you go in to buy a pair of pants ( they show you a nice shirt to go with it or shoes ) I went to McDonalds to buy a milkshake and they asked me if I want fries with it.....it is common practise in new car sales .

If you are going to upsell alot, let your customer make an educated decission on the upsell product according to your truthful explanation of it . Mention the pros and cons.............and leave it to them.

Nightrider
Jacks best damn post ever...  but it doesn't answer the orginal question...

Date Posted: 03/August/2008 at 6:32pm
To answer the original question...................as far as a marketing point of view...............SEARS WINS HANDS DOWN..........Why................because people trust Sears and the people who work under their banner, they know or rather think that they won't get screwed and imagine that the Sears guarantee  will protect them from all grievances .

With that said...................there is no reason why you cannot upsell your products as long as you believe in them to do what they supposed to do..................there is nothing harder than selling a rock with the promise that water will come out when squeezed hard . Believe in yourself and your product and you should be able to upsell all day long with no problems .

Nightrider

Date Posted: 04/August/2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

Some just don't have the mailto:b@lls - b@lls to upsell.. You might never do that customer again in life and you did your very best.. It might be because you have bad breath or bad teeth or your stinky portables stink blew inside the house..LOL  Or your just fat and ugly.. Ahhhh!!
so what the hell is your point. 

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 04/August/2008 at 8:33pm
I still believe the upsell has to be for the customers best interest not the best interest of the cleaner. When you upsell to benifit yourself and not be the least bit interested in the customers concerns well I guess that's where differ?

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 04/August/2008 at 8:38pm
LOL what the hell is yours? LOL 

Date Posted: 04/August/2008 at 11:10pm
Sell but do a kick ass job...it's that simple..

Posted By: jaymark1
Date Posted: 07/February/2009 at 11:39pm
I never upset, I used photo shop to create a page with all of my services on it, and put that in my presintaion folder...people read it when they are sitting down, and I always get additional services with out pressure

-------------
I dont predict the future or sell glides, am I allowed on this site?

Posted By: LilNiteRidrhood
Date Posted: 08/February/2009 at 11:36am
We

Date Posted: 08/February/2009 at 11:40am
We have recently started sending emails out to our customers when we book the call. It has a list of the things to do before the cleaner gets there and it has a brochure on Carpet Protector  and Anti-allergen cleaning.
It is all based on the premise that the customer has no where to hide from you when they are in their own homes----and they are caught with an unexpected salespitch. The email now prepares them for the inevitable pitch and they feel informed  AND AREN'T CAUGHT UNAWARE..
It seems to be working, hopefully we will be able to increase our cheerleaders and repeat customer ratios.

Date Posted: 08/February/2009 at 12:31pm
Perpare for the inevitable??? Just what the hell does that mean?? You mean so they aren't caught with their guard down so they can avoid all the high pressure BS?? Just what everyone wants more spam??

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 14/February/2009 at 4:30pm
There is the inevitable upsell on everything Doug. Everywhere from McDonalds to the Banks.
I bought a fridge at The Brick and they wanted to sell me the extended warranty. After I said no, they said "Í musn't understand" and called another person over to 'ëxplain it to me". I then asked this guy how much it would cost to not try and sell me the warranty extention. He looked quite confused. I repeated myself and then offered $10. to him to leave me alone.
The point is WE ALL KNOW ITS COMING--the salespitch that is. But we can always leave the store eh.
With the carpet cleaners in the home its different. The customer has no where to hide. They feel invaded in their own home. This approach has eleviated the shock of the salespitch. They don't have the "why didn't the girl on the phone mention it" syndrome.
It works for us quite well.
As for your rude remarks about SPAM. There are instructions on how to prepare for the carpet cleaner, a stain removal chart, info on anti-allergen and info on protector.
We ask them IF THEY WANT TO RECEIVE THIS EMAIL AND ASK THEM FOR THEIR ADDRESS.
Who sh*t in your corn flakes Doug?

Posted By: jaymark1
Date Posted: 14/February/2009 at 4:47pm
It is all based on the premise that the customer has no where to hide from you when they are in their own homes----and they are caught with an unexpected salespitch. The email now prepares them for the inevitable pitch and they feel informed  AND AREN'T CAUGHT UNAWARE..
It seems to be working, hopefully we will be able to increase our cheerleaders and repeat customer ratios.

I called my whole family in to my computer room to have a good laugh at that...

is that joe polish BS?

-------------
I dont predict the future or sell glides, am I allowed on this site?

Date Posted: 15/February/2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by LilNiteRidrhood LilNiteRidrhood wrote:

There is the inevitable upsell on everything Doug. Everywhere from McDonalds to the Banks.
I bought a fridge at The Brick and they wanted to sell me the extended warranty. After I said no, they said "Í musn't understand" and called another person over to 'ëxplain it to me". I then asked this guy how much it would cost to not try and sell me the warranty extention. He looked quite confused. I repeated myself and then offered $10. to him to leave me alone.
The point is WE ALL KNOW ITS COMING--the salespitch that is. But we can always leave the store eh.
With the carpet cleaners in the home its different. The customer has no where to hide. They feel invaded in their own home. This approach has eleviated the shock of the salespitch. They don't have the "why didn't the girl on the phone mention it" syndrome.
It works for us quite well.
As for your rude remarks about SPAM. There are instructions on how to prepare for the carpet cleaner, a stain removal chart, info on anti-allergen and info on protector.
We ask them IF THEY WANT TO RECEIVE THIS EMAIL AND ASK THEM FOR THEIR ADDRESS.
Who sh*t in your corn flakes Doug?
Tony the Tiger
I guess that is why when I read ads for carpet cleaners the co's are more interested in a sales background than a cleaning background. why is that?? Is it the more we do to give the impression to the poor customer that they are actually getting a deal the poorer job we can do for the uneducated  price shopping customer?

-------------
Just My opinion

Posted By: Brandon
Date Posted: 13/February/2017 at 12:51am
In my opinion, both are the same.

Posted By: KimberlyHull
Date Posted: 24/May/2019 at 6:30am
Great.

Posted By: TipTopCleaning
Date Posted: 08/December/2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Searsguy Searsguy wrote:

got a question for you guys and gals.  when branching out on your own is it harder to upsell on the scotchgard than say working for a name like sears?  is it the name people trust or what?  i am kinda thinking that it will be harder to upsell just because i wont use the sears name anyore. am i right?  it is really an awesome feeling when a custy ASKS for the gard without you even trying.  of course working for sears that is our main money maker is upselling. kinda sucks when you do a trashed out place and no upsell.  sweat your TongueAngryCoolDead's off for crap dollar.  so what do you think will it be harder to upsell?  any famous selling lines you care to share?

It's true that a well-established brand like Sears can carry a level of trust and recognition that may make up-selling easier. However, the success of up-selling often boils down to your personal approach and the value you communicate. Without the Sears name, you have the opportunity to build a brand around yourself. Reliable, dedicated, and with a personal touch.

Highlight the benefits of Scotchgard fabric protector in a way that resonates with your customers. Perhaps emphasize its ability to prolong the life of their carpets, making future cleaning sessions easier and more effective. Share success stories or positive experiences from other clients who opted for the extra protection. It's all about creating a narrative that makes Scotchgard not just a service but a smart investment.

As for selling lines, consider something like, "Give your carpets the VIP treatment they deserve with our Scotchgard protection. It's not just cleanliness, it's a shield against future spills and stains, ensuring your investment stays as fresh as the day it was cleaned."

Building trust and providing value can make customers willingly ask for the "gard" without you even breaking a sweat!

-------------
TipTopCleaning: Elevating Cleanliness to a Whole New Standard!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net