Forum Description: Discuss anything relating to Upholstery Cleaning
URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4492
Printed Date: 28/April/2024 at 2:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The CON woman
Posted By: ChemicallyFried
Subject: The CON woman
Date Posted: 13/December/2007 at 10:29pm

I went to clean a home last week that was suppose to be 3 rooms and a hall.  My customer started showing me a total of seven full size rooms, a chair, one couch and two stains on two other couches.  I explained "OK maam, you have seven rooms and not three and that would be extra".  I NEVER argue with a customer, but this one insisted that she only had 3 rooms which were her 3 bedrooms. 

Has the world gotton so tight or so stupid that I have to argue about the number of rooms that are in a home? My advertising next month is one price for a whole home special.  Tired of dealing with these freaks for a while.  Never advertise by the room deals, it brings out all the freaks who want 1-3 rooms done for peanuts.  Clap

-------------
I can remove more spots than you can.

Replies:
Posted By: Thang
Date Posted: 14/December/2007 at 1:55am
Do you have a max square footage for each room? (say...150sq ft. max per room)...If not, maybe you should.

-------------
Tap Out Or Pass Out!!!

Posted By: FriendlyHammer
Date Posted: 14/December/2007 at 5:58am
She's just stupid, and she probably realized she had made a mistake while she was talking to you.   When houses are sold they advertise them by the number of bedrooms. She remembers buying a 3 bedroom house, so when she decided to have her house done, she thought that was the terminology to use.

I bet landscapers can tell you stories about charging per square yard to fertilize and having to argue with a woman who claims her yard is square.

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 22/December/2007 at 8:12pm
Order a Big Mac.. Then see if they will throw in fries for free.. Thats what she does...LOL

Today this guy tried to slide in stairs for my 3rm price of $99..  I said $30 extra for stairs and he said forget the stairs..

He was trying to tell me the LR..DR Combo was 1rm... yea..right..!LOL

Date Posted: 22/December/2007 at 8:13pm
Never argue.. Negotiate..Big smile

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 22/December/2007 at 8:31pm
Never argue...walk

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: cmaster
Date Posted: 22/December/2007 at 11:42pm
I agree...............walk

-------------

The STD Meter

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 23/December/2007 at 10:14am
once they see that your willing to walk..most times they'll pay what you asked...

if they don't and let you go...you should be happy that you got out of that bullsh*t

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 23/December/2007 at 10:32am
Thats a good negotiating tactic.. MrSteamerLOL

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 23/December/2007 at 10:32am
only you know what you need to make money on the job. If you can't make any money that it is time to move on.

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 23/December/2007 at 10:38am
Great words of wisdom doug..Big smile

Posted By: CarpetCleanLasVegas
Date Posted: 28/January/2008 at 9:33pm
You get crazy customers in any business that you try. Does anybody have any advice for how to advertise so that you don't spend too much time dealing with people like that?

-------------
Carpet Cleaning of Las Vegas

Posted By: danmarck82
Date Posted: 28/January/2008 at 11:02pm
I never advertise price, period..... I very seldom advertise , work the customer list that you have ! that is if you have established a few hundred customers. If not.... the good old business card and a lot of cold calling works slowly . You could try flyers but 1% return on a non-responsive ( EXPENSIVE ) flyer or direct mail out can be discouraging too. ....If you are just beginning there is no easy absolute solution to this problem,

Persistence in building solid foundational relationships is paramount. They will last forever.......These price shopper will be gone tomorrow . You can not build your business - long term- on these types of people .

Posted By: Soil Lint Green
Date Posted: 17/February/2008 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

Never argue...walk

I do that too.  As I see it, the appointment is a sales appointment.  The prospect sees it differently but that does nothing to change my thoughts.

I am the doctor of dirt.  If a prospects wants to argue my diagnosis it would be like arguing with their doctor, dentist or eye doctor.  It is also like challenging the plumber or someone who is fixing the washer.

Bottom line, I am the expert at this, they are the expert only in what someone is paying them to do.  I don't claim to know their job, I expect the same respect.  If I decide something to be true, it is.  If they want to challenge me, they are invited to take action.  All they need to do is go get a second opinion.  I have other patients to attend to. 

I need to go to my van and get something.  That something is gone.  Add them to the small list of 86'd prospects.

Posted By: Soil Lint Green
Date Posted: 17/February/2008 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

once they see that your willing to walk..most times they'll pay what you asked...

if they don't and let you go...you should be happy that you got out of that bullsh*t

The take away close is famous for its effectiveness.

I just walked away from one that had urine spots all over.  The customer wanted no special attention paid to the urine, even after being told about the extent of the damage, and would not go for the $40 surcharge for second floors.  She wanted the coupon to apply to her house.  I suggested SS who ignores everything, or replace everything with hardwood floors, and left after letting her know that as a professional I cannot in all good conscience know that there is dog damage and not treat it. 

If the dentist spots a cavity he either gets an agreement to treat the whole mouth or turns down the routine cleaning job.  I would not pretend a carpet cleaner is the equal to a dentist.  But the same principles do apply for many good cleaners.

Posted By: Marko
Date Posted: 29/December/2008 at 11:15am
Quote Never argue.. Negotiate
Exactly! Smile

-------------
http://www.allproutah.com - Cleaning Service in Utah

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 29/December/2008 at 3:20pm
Love your site, Marko.  That is professional although the linkto pages aren't spectacular.  Who did the work?

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Posted By: prouddadx3
Date Posted: 14/January/2009 at 12:23pm
You can look at my coupon page on my website. I haven't had a price problem in a very long time. Knock on wood.  Smile I found that if my prices are high enough, I can avoid the people who try to force a deal on you. The exclusive price shoppers avoid me since I'm out of their price range. The cheapest clients want the most done for the littlest amount and then they tend to have higher expectations. Avoid the problem client, they will suck the joy out of owning your own business.

-------------

http://maps.google.com/coupons/page?oi=lbc&did=0_14019921871367697693&cid=RF0IMWO26GG3CFHL&hl=en-US&gl=US - Boulder carpet cleaning Coupons

Posted By: duckcountry
Date Posted: 15/January/2009 at 7:45pm
AS LOW AS can get more people calling but it is the quality of the potential job that is the concern of course.  How are those prices working for you in the Boulder area?  

-------------
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?

Posted By: beamer
Date Posted: 01/April/2009 at 12:23am
Avoid the room special bs by charging per square foot. It is by far the fairest way to set prices for you and the customer. And always give yourself room to move if the customer doesn't like the original charge you can give her a small discount just to make her happy and you won't lose money. But if you get the sense that it's going  to be a real headache, reach for the stars. At least if she goes for it you will be amply compensated or her bs. 

Posted By: rick007
Date Posted: 01/April/2009 at 12:38am
hey beamer where have you been? see you joined 5 years ago and only 11 posts. are you back in the biz?

-------------
happy cleaning

Posted By: beamer
Date Posted: 01/April/2009 at 1:02am
I have been in the biz all that time. With some ups and downs. I usually visit this site from time to time or when I get an email telling me of a post on a thread I have posted on before. I don't usually post unless I feel an overwhelming urge to expose my opinion which isn't very often. But I do grind my teeth alot.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net