URL: https://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2174
Printed Date: 06/May/2024 at 5:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Truck mount Question
Posted By: jtuseo
Subject: Truck mount Question
Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 7:51pm

Guys do you think this would work?

Making a 2003 Chevy Astro Van into my Carpet Cleaning Truckmount?

I also Do Power Washing, What is a good truck mount Carpet cleaning Vac that also can pressure wash I need at least 3000 psi.

Thank you

John NYC

-------------
WWW.PREFERREDCARPETCLEANING.COM

Replies:
Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 7:54pm
maybe look at a spitfire.... you will have to get a new pump I think it only goes up to 1500 psi...

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Posted By: nightrider
Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 8:05pm

For power washing you'll find that 3000psi isn't enough especially cold...............I had 1 unit of 4000psi Hot 240 degrees and it was just acceptable.

I rented a 28,000psi cold and from 14,000psi and up I didn't even need chemical.

I had a contract to do concrete surface demolition and @ 28,000 psi it was a breeze.

Nightrider

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 8:55pm
Why in the hell would someone want to use a $20,000.00 tm to do the work of a $1000.00 power washer???

-------------
Just My opinion

Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 8:59pm

Good power washers start at $ 7,000 to $ 50,000 these electric junk you but at Canadian Tire and Home Depot are good for washing your car, perhaps you siding but you'll never clean the siding from the ground 12 feet up to the overhang..........that's where the expensive machines come in

Nightrider

Posted By: greg
Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 9:11pm
why not use a ladder?

-------------
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.

Date Posted: 08/December/2005 at 9:21pm

Ever fall off a ladder holding on to a pressure washer

Ever try to clean siding up close on a scaffold or ladder with water and soap splashing back in your face

Don't even think of a longer pressure hose the electric motor or even the small horsepower gas engines are just not strong enough to maintain the pressure needed.

Better to be firmly placed on the ground and get the job done right.

Not to mention the fine you would get for placing your employee in a dangerous situation

Nightrider

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 09/December/2005 at 4:05pm

I know you can get some fancy schmancy extendible pole thingimajigs for pressure washing........the really long ones take 2 people to operate

I agree with Doug on the matter

a mini van is too small IMO

if your going to clean carpet and pressure wash,you're going to run outta room real quick hauling all your stuff

I don't know if you need to go as EXTREME as Nightrider is talking about but I know I've tried pressure washing semi trucks and trailers with my Cleanco a few years back and the pressure was too low IMO

I think Nightrider cuts out custom aluminum wheels with his pressure washers when he's not washing walls

-------------
A.K.A.
Andy

Date Posted: 09/December/2005 at 5:39pm

I had the contract to clean all the city dumpsters of grafitti removal and paint scale, then we used to spray paint them on site.

14,000psi stripped everything off clean ready for paint.

Stop signs and street name signs we done with a special grafitti remover & 4000psi

cement grafitti removal was done with 7,000 to 10,000 psi no chemical needed.

to store all this equipment took a 7 x 12 foot trailer

If I was to get back into the business this is what I would get into........profits are excellent, contracts are hard to get.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 5:17pm
Guys I have two  4000 psi pressure washers I do Decks and vvinyl siding 90% of the time 3000 psi would be fine for me. I am not removing Graffiti off of brick. I do about 60 homes & Decks per summer I charge $450 to do a house from top to bottom. It takes about 3 hours with two men. Can you recomend some truck mounts with the 3000 psi?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 5:18pm

Night rider is right if you want to clean from 12ft and up from the ground you need at least  10,000 psi.

But I use a ladder.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 6:32pm

How much do you charge just for the deck washing.........is this price only for washing or does it also include the restaining of the deck...Thanks

Nightrider

Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 6:36pm

See Ted's ( Kleenkuip used section ) buy the cheapest truckmount he has and ask him to install a 3,500psi pump..........

NIGHTRIDER

Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 10:07pm

Night rider $450 is just to wash the out side of the house from top to bottom that includes the front walkway & the front stoop.

for the deck washing I get for a deck 18x 10  $350 washed and water sealed

$600 if they want it painted.

The smaller the deck the cheaper.

Those are the prices in a wealthy area in the middle class area I drop it down $150

Some house I have gotten $1200 for they were big and dirty.

-------------

Posted By: spruce
Date Posted: 10/December/2005 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Steaminpile Steaminpile wrote:

I know you can get some fancy schmancy extendible pole thingimajigs for pressure washing........the really long ones take 2 people to operate

This is the best "fancy schmancy extendible pole thingimajigs" that you can get IMHO. Powerwand by Coress.

http://www.coress.com/home.htm - http://www.coress.com/home.htm

http://www.coress.com/pdf/Brochure_2005.pdf - http://www.coress.com/pdf/Brochure_2005.pdf

Way better than the stupid ones with hose claps.

-------------
A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood

Date Posted: 11/December/2005 at 1:39am

Almost $ 2.00 sq.ft and less effort than it takes to clean a carpet...........good for you

Lots of decks in Canada, every province has them.........someone is cleaning them and laughing to the bank

Nightrider

Posted By: Steaminpile
Date Posted: 11/December/2005 at 1:15pm
those are the thingimajigs they sell at my local supplier

-------------
A.K.A.
Andy

Posted By: SSDB
Date Posted: 26/January/2006 at 7:35pm
I've never owned a pressure wash (power wash) business so this isn't from experience, but I have talked to the guy that use to do the houses in my neighborhood. He'd charge anywhere from $200 to $400 a house and used 80 psi with bleach. He shot everything from the ground 30 feet up. Cleaned siding, brick, and concrete right up. He said that the secret wasn't the pressure, but the solution, in his case he used bleach.

Everything fit in the bed of a pickup and he ran about 200 feet of hose with a wand. I'm not sure what kind of tip he had, but it shot 30 feet up with no problems.

I don't agree with the bleach, and I agree that this wouldn't work with paint removal or destroying concrete, but cleaning up the siding or brick on a house it worked.

Date Posted: 26/January/2006 at 8:24pm

Did it say Winchester or Smith & Wesson on the side of his pressure lance...........80 psi can hardly propelle fluid more that 10 feet which only would be down to a mist from 6 feet on.

Nightrider

Posted By: 77748
Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 2:02am

I have had a TM in a Chevy Astro Van. Do not do it!!!! Cannot handle the weight. Although I paid money getting it lifted in the rear. Trans will go out 100 % guarantee. Suspenion is weak stress on your motor. My front wheel fell off on the freeway almost friggin killed myself and my worker nearly s*** himself. My new motto is do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.  I should have listened to Doug I lost so much money, time and aggravation.

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 2:09am

I don't understand the weight problem, if the tanks are placed sideways, wether you use 1 or 2 it really doesn't matter cause as 1 is being emptied the other fills.

It surely isn't the vac and blower that's a problem.

What exactly goes wrong, my neighbour has an Astro and he hauls all kinds of heavy stuff, he redid his driveway and was hauling paving bricks a pallet at a time.

why should it not handle carpet cleaning equipment

Nightrider

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 2:22am

If you are going to buy a Mickey Mouse lightweight TM (spitfire, panther, ect... ) These are lightweight vans. You will see going uphill with a load what I am talking about. Tms get heavy I had 70 gal waste tank , Cleanco TM, Buffer, reels and all the other necessary equip. Mr. Nightrider you have alot of posts and you probably are the man. This time I must differ with you. Then again I live in Northern California lots of hills. And I did save gas but paid for it in the long run in repairs. And I belive most people in this forum use a Chevy 2500, 3500 or Ford 250 or 350. Not an Astro. Now a 1500 or 150 is technically a light duty vehicle. You will get suspension problems . Any other takers?

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 4:13am

Well...............I myself have always had a 3/4 or a 1 ton I know of 2 Astro, 1 Aerostars running around town, but I don't know their repair bills.........I will surely calculate what mass an Astro can handle and under what load..............thanks......this will give me something to think about.

By the way.........I'm far from being the man.......Doug, Mr. Steamer, General Lee Senter, Cleanex and most of the others are way smarter than me in this business, not to mention Ted Harding as the Grand Guru.

Nightrider

Posted By: Michael
Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 12:28pm
I had been musing about fitting a small truckmount into my Freestar. Reading this thread reminds me that I know pretty much nothing about cars. The 2006 Freestar is great with a portable system, except that it's not set up for side storage. It's got a 3.9L V6, but the suspension is more like a car's. I'm sure the transmission is less than herculean as well. I'll check out its specs, just because, but I think I'll wait until my next van to move into a truckmount. 

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 2:19pm

All those posts got to mean something. You must obviously help and respond to people in need here. And I am sure you have helped people, therefore you are the man with all due respect. keep up the great work.

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 4:17pm

77748, most of those posts were insults, goofing around, & making fun at people ( in a good way ) I might have had some posts that were of substance.

Getting back to the Mini-Vans, because these trucks can haul a trailer and transport 7 passengers, that there tells you something can be done. average person 150lbs = 1050........plus weight of seats, luggage or whatever........just do the math.........place tanks from frame to frame..........it's possible without problems

Nightrider

Posted By: Michael
Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 5:17pm
I've actually found your posts really interesting, Nightrider, as a whole. It's funny to see where you decide to be humble, helpful, *ocky, silly, or a complete bastard. I've come to respect your point of view, though, because I think you're a realist. When requesting feedback, the voice of the realist is really necessary, even (or possibly especially) when it's not too terribly polite.

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 5:53pm

Thanks Michael, you are one of the rare ones, perhaps you view life with an open mind like me.

When you say you find my post interesting as a whole.........what kind of whole/hole are you referring to ( Ass/whole=Hole )

I would like to know if there are other boards like this one in other fields of work, if you know of any let me know and I'll bug them too.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 7:30pm
doug
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 August 2004 at 9:12am | IP Logged Report Post http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=5405&TPN=2">Quote doug

Shocks anf lift blocks are not going to cut it.  For extra weight on the front you may need larged coils in the rear extras leaf springs will help out.  You must remember you are going excee the GVW of this van.  Be prepared to replace brakes, ball joints and stearing parts more often.  As far as a fresh water tank  I would consider an on board water softener we have one in each truck. Water is not light 100 gallons 100o lbs. If you are putting 200 ft. of hoses that is not going to leave you much room.  Just food for thought we use 1 ton GMC extended vans, but we have slide in units.  Don't go to all the trouble to install this in a light van only to find you need a heavier duty van.  Just food for thought.Guitar
doug
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Posted: 22 August 2004 at 9:04am | IP Logged Report Post http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=5426&TPN=2">Quote doug

77748:  Iam not trying to discourage you or ridicule you.  It will mean less down time if all these problems are solved before the tm is installed.  You cannot make money when the truck is in the shop.Guitar

The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Posted: 24 August 2004 at 11:40am | IP Logged Report Post http://www.kleenkuip.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=5466&TPN=2">Quote Carpetologist

As I mentioned before dealing locally with the proper installer is generally the best advice. Now purchasing the Hydramaster Spitfire on my website is also good advice as long as you can feel comfortable with a service company in your area. Generally people who sell Fords shake their head at GM products. This is natural. But, I can assure you this Spitfire is in excellent condition at a woping savings. You should be able to get your investment back very quickly.

We are not by any means knocking the Charger as we also sell them and new is always the best way to go if you do not have a budget problem.

Yes the Spitfire is smaller but still an excellent entry level unit for starters. As far as your van goes it is generally the weight of the water you are carrying as opposed to the weight of the TM. But your van should be at least a 3/4 ton capacity or you will be having van problems down the road.

I didn't listen to these wise men and I paid for it!!! Do it right the first time. Doing residentials you will find yourself in weird driveways with all the weight your tranny will slip sooner than later and not to mention all the other probs.

Posted By: MR. STEAMER
Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 8:47pm

yup

go heavy duty go 1 ton... have have 2 trucks a 2500 and a 3500 and I'll tell you the 2500 doesn't handle the load no where near as good as the one ton

-------------
www.mr-steamer.com

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 8:52pm

I suppose you guys know better than I do, but I won't stop my quest to know why a smaller truck won't cut it.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 9:54pm

Found this Mr. Nightrider  which is one of your your posts (scaring me now)your quest should be simple. Get the Astro and you will also have a degree in Nightwalkin   Idea

I AM JACK, A CERTIFIED TECHNICAL ADVISOR OF PRE AND POST AIR QUALITY CONTROL SUPERVISOR WITH A BACHLOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE, AN ENGINEERS DEGREE IN THE MANUFACTURING OF CARPET AND A IICRC TRUE BLUE ONE OF A KIND KING OF THE HILL BULLsh*tTER STORY TELLER AND PART TIME CARPET CLEANER...........WHERE EVERY CARPET CLEANER IS ANOTHER CARPET CLEANERS NIGHTMARE        

Posted By: Advantage
Date Posted: 28/January/2006 at 10:36pm

Reguardless of what anyone says, check the load rating on the Astro.  Then add up the weight of your gear, all of it.  Next give yourself some extra weight for stuff you might carry occasionally.  See if it works out.

There is a guy around here who runs a Spitfire in an Astro with no onboard water and an auto pumpout.  He coils his hoses in the back cause he doesn't have room for the reels.

I wouldn't want to do it.

-------------
CCT, UFT, OCT, CRT, RRT, WRT, SMT, FSRT, JTC, JSR, JWR, MTC a great life, if you don't weaken.

Date Posted: 29/January/2006 at 12:54am

I own two Chevy Astros and both have had the same problems they are simply weak overated . Hell I even beefed up the suspensions. I supposedly saved gas. Within the last month got 1 chevy 2500 and one 3500. I feel like the real deal. Atro looks like a little kid next these new vans and they are the extended. Dwarfed them. Whatever the weight is when you are running 80 90 % weight capacity you are looking for problems.

Date Posted: 29/January/2006 at 1:03am

Told you I was full of crap, but do you listen........nooooooooooooooooo

Nightrider

Date Posted: 29/January/2006 at 1:07am

Your alright Nightrider! Pretty cool sense of humor!

Thanks for not taking my responses in a negative way!

This forum is the best I have learned alot from it !!!

Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 3:21am

77748 I checked the specs on the Chevy Astro and it said that the payload is capable for 1600 lbs

It has the Vortec 4.3 V6

250lbs,Torque @ 2800rpm.

Sounds good to me so far.

NOw if you ride empty and have only a waste tank and connect direct at the customers ( providing you do alot of commercial ) the Astro would be ideal.

If you do more residential, then have a 70-100 gallon fresh tank and a 40 gallon waste with an auto pump out.

Does any of this make sence............ or am I really out in left field and should stick to marketing.

Nightrider

Posted By: Ed Valentine
Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 10:51am

The Chevy Astro van with Vortex 6 cyl. engine are some of the best made, IMHO.

We had two of them and they ran, ran, ran, each acummulating up to 240,000 miles without one major problem. Ofcourse, up to the day we sold them, they looked brand new. Always cleaned and waxed them.

Good Fortune to all;

Ed Valentine

Posted By: John L
Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 3:42pm

Got'ya beat ED.... lol !!!  My Astro went 358,000 miles before the intake gasket went out....  Also the usual repairs  alternator, starter....

Posted By: pilediver
Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 8:58pm

One of the problems with Astro Vans is they have graphite springs in the rear.  When you overload a regular steel leaf spring it still works ok. Overload a graphite spring and they bottom easier and are prone to snapping.  The other problem on Astros is they are prone to pitman and idler arm wear and heavy loads will only accelerate these problems. 

If you were to run the truck over its legal weight and you have a commercial registration on the vehicle it could be reasonably argued by the insurer of the van that it was not being operated correctly and that could cause your insurance to not pay a claim.

IMO, if you keep your foot out of the trottle on the 1 tons they are not all that bad on fuel.  If you want longevity on the unit (truck or cleaning unit) take care to service it.  Change oil and lube by the running hour not the ordometer.  Change trany fluid and coolant every year.

-------------
http://www.expertcarpetcare.ca>Carpet Cleaning in Victoria BC

Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 10:20pm

Whats a heavy load ? The springs don't get affected unless all the weight is directed to the rear of the cabin.

All weight distribution should be front to center of cab.

Ball joints & Pittman arms are weak to begin with, that includes all Chevy products including the series 1500, 2500, 3500 heavy duty Trucks.

GM shouls take a lesson from Ford and use Kingpins.

The Vortec V6 4.3 is capable of towing over 5000 lbs

Nightrider

Posted By: pilediver
Date Posted: 30/January/2006 at 10:44pm

According to the GM website Astro has a cargo capacity of 1647lbs.  That is not a lot of weight. 

-------------
http://www.expertcarpetcare.ca>Carpet Cleaning in Victoria BC

Date Posted: 31/January/2006 at 12:13am

Pump.......................30 lbs

Vacuum Blower.........100 lbs

Hose Reel ...............  60 lbs

200 feet hoses......... 100 lbs

60g, Alum Waste....... 75 lbs

100 Alum Fresh......... 125 lbs

100 gallons water......1000 lbs ( ride empty if possible )

accessories total.......  200 lbs

total plumbing .........  150 lbs

TOTAL 840 LBS RUNNING DRY........ADD 1000 LBS WATER AND YOU'RE CLOSE TO THE BREAKING POINT.

Rating might be 1647 but that's their insurance limite, add 30% to failure weight.Thats brings it to over 2100 lbs

But that's too close for comfort, you guys are right Astro is out..........3/4 Ton min at best.

Nightrider

Date Posted: 31/January/2006 at 10:09am

Did I miss something here!

Don't get me wrong one of my astros has close to 400 k odometer stopped working after 382,000 six months ago. I started out with a buffer (Dry Clean) and a portable. So that worked.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net