Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Portable Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

generators for my portable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: generators for my portable
    Posted: 15/September/2011 at 4:41pm
I was intrested in buying a generator to run my mytee m-12 but iam so confused on how many watts does the generator need to have for it to be strong enuff. The mytee m-12 has a 2000watt heater plus it has two cords that need 20amps to plug into . iI want to buy the smallest generator possible. My second question would it be safe to buy a longer extension cord the 2 extension cords i have are 50feet.
Sponsored Links

Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 12:02am
Originally posted by adimas adimas wrote:

I was intrested in buying a generator to run my mytee m-12 but iam so confused on how many watts does the generator need to have for it to be strong enuff. The mytee m-12 has a 2000watt heater plus it has two cords that need 20amps to plug into . iI want to buy the smallest generator possible. My second question would it be safe to buy a longer extension cord the 2 extension cords i have are 50feet.
This is a fairly common question.

Concentrate on the amperage of the 2 lines.

That would be 20 plus 20 = 40 amps.

Convert it to watts by multiplying Amps X Volts

40 amps X 120 volts =  4800 watts
Increase by 50% factor to not overwork the generator

4800 watts  X 150% = 7200

Buy either a 7000 or 8000 watt generator

You can also use heavy duty extention cords out to 100 ft(10 guage are best), but concidering that it is difficult to get 2 20 amp circuits in some homes, I would stick with the generator to power this equipment. If the draw was 15 amps or less per cord I would go with the cords instead.Big smile
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 1:21am
Now, ask that same question of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor and the answer might amaze you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJD1-1e-i4&feature=player_embedded
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
adimas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 5:22pm

Wow what a big diffrence in watts  an employee at home depot said i would only need 3.500 watt generator to power my portable good thing i didnt listen to him.

Thanks for the help ken headed to costco to purchase a 7000watt generator
Ken Harris View Drop Down
Grand Potentate
Grand Potentate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 5:48pm
Glad I could help.Smile
Inventor of Teflon Carpet Wand Glides.Free Glides for all Cleaners in June!
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 7:45pm
Something like mine. B&G Elite series. Right now its just collecting dust in my garage. Cry

Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by John L John L wrote:

Something like mine. B&G Elite series. Right now its just collecting dust in my garage. Cry

Meaning it is for sale?
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by adimas adimas wrote:

Wow what a big diffrence in watts  an employee at home depot said i would only need 3.500 watt generator to power my portable good thing i didnt listen to him.

Thanks for the help ken headed to costco to purchase a 7000watt generator

Home Depot employees mean well but after all they are just retail clerks, not experts on anything other than surviving on poverty pay.
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2011 at 2:21am
Gona keep it for now.
John L View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2012 at 12:53am
I also have a 8500W Pacific generator if your interested PM me. New they are around $3k. Mine is up for $2K hardly used @ all.. Photobucket wont upload the dang pics. Had 14 Trojan horse agent3.ATLI and 7 in the memory and it might have done something to my pc. AVG only removed 7. The other 7 i removed with Combofix, TDSSKiller and TFC (old mans tool).. A nasty trojan horse.
grimel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2012 at 5:32pm
If you aren't buying a junk generator, something with 5500 running watts is more than enough for your portable.
 Post Reply Post Reply