Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Tile and Grout and Hard Surface Floor Cleaning Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Dont waste your money on chemicals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaymark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dont waste your money on chemicals
    Posted: 06/February/2009 at 1:51pm
I have seen many people buy tile and grout cleaners...and I want to make a suggestion to save you money.  Tile is about as strong a material that you can ever go against, and grout is just pure concrete.  I use purple power, it comes is bulk from really anywhere, walmart, pepboys, sams club

I do a 2 part chemical to 1 part water mix, I let it sit for 20 minutes, then go in with my machine and it cleans great.  I use about 800 PSI, I know not as high as come might use, but it works fine.  I let me truck run as hot as I can get it, about 220 degrees.

One note about purple power.  It will bubble and cause foam.  I usually vacuum it up first, then go over slowly with my tile cleaner running lots of water. 

I dont predict the future or sell glides, am I allowed on this site?
Sponsored Links

Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by jaymark1 jaymark1 wrote:

I have seen many people buy tile and grout cleaners...and I want to make a suggestion to save you money.  Tile is about as strong a material that you can ever go against, and grout is just pure concrete.

You might want to do some research.

Tile Ratings

All tile feels hard, but some types of tile are actually harder than others. Tile is rated by a series of standardized tests. The tests evaluate a tile's relative hardness (the Moh scale), its ability to stand up to wear and the percentage of water absorbed.

The Porcelain Enamel Institute hardness ratings are:

• Group I - Light Traffic: residential bathroom floors where bare or stocking feet are the norm.

• Group II - Medium Traffic: home interiors where little abrasion occurs. Don't use in kitchens or entries.

• Group III - Medium-Heavy Traffic: any home interior.

• Group IV - Heavy Traffic: homes or light to medium commercial areas.

• Group V- Extra Heavy Traffic: use it anywhere.

These ratings are important, but don't get too bogged down in analysis — they serve to help you find the right tile for your application.

Could somebody just clean my carpets!
jaymark1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaymark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 3:09pm
is there a burn test?

Mark McMaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 3:26pm
Tile is about as strong a material that you can ever go against, and grout is just pure concrete.

UMmmmm not! Like Hammy said, you'd better do some more research.
Grout is not just pure concrete either. There's sanded grout, un-sanded grout, epoxy grout etc.
 Concrete guys don't make colour sealer as they know this is a totally different animal.
Don't take your organs to heaven.....
Heaven knows we need them here

www.mcmastertile.com
jaymark1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaymark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 3:50pm

SO what do you guys suggest?  Do you inspect every time you clean?  I always ask if they have had any issues with there tile before I clean, but other then that, there is really no way of knowning what kind of tile it is, unless you have some crazy person who memorized.  I will check my cleaner on an area like inside a closet on tile that might be in question.  do you guys recomned a way to find out what the tile or grout is made of?

I am following the recomended dilution ratio on purple power for cleaning tile and grout.  Much like carpet cleaning, I maintain a system.  I have found that this ratio of cleaning chemicals works even on imported iranian tiles.  When i have stains that wont come out, I increase the cleaning power and let it sit for awhile.  and purple power is far cheaper then the tile cleaner at the store

If I were to worry about every different type of tile, grout, carpet, upholstery I cleaned, and tried to have all the right chemicals, i would never make any money.

but any suggestions you have will be great.

Jason 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 5:23pm
 Well, where do I start?
 One thing is, I don't use box store chems. If I did, everyone/home owner would not need us. It's like painting a car. Sure they sell spray bombs of paint the same colour but I wouldn't use it.
 There are companies out there that make chems specifically for grout.
 I stake my reputation on every job as I buy from these guys as this is what these are made/intended for.
 Either that or I go and buy a bunch of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers in bulk.

I buy the proper chems for the job. If I saw some guy come into my house to clean my carpets with a rental machine from the corner store, forget it!
 I buy from the big guys and it only costs me .10/ft for chems. Plus they have a warantee with it and support.
 Why skimp on this stuff. Maybe it's just me but my ethics for my company mean more to me rather than skrimping and saving a few pennies.
 I'd go head to head with you cleaning tile and grout any day. You use your chems and I'll use mine. You vac everything up in between stages and I'd be on to the next job before all your equipment is in your van.

Have a good one. Mark

www.mcmastertile.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 5:50pm
Oh and on another note: I check the grout. Carry a knoll with you or a screwdriver. Scratch the grout checking for a topical sealer or if it's soft, it's unsanded.
 There's many ways to check to see what kind of surfaces you are up against,

Have a goodone. Mark

www.mcmastertile.com
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 6:35pm
I remember back in 1996 sitting in a classroom for two days on how to properly identify stone/ tile and how to properly clean it. I didn't even scratch the surface! But it was a good start.

Edited by Hammy - 06/February/2009 at 6:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 6:40pm
You're right Hammy. Why scratch the surface of a tile? That tells ya nothing. Scratch the grout. If it's soft, it's unsanded. If it's hard, it's sanded.
 Sometimes you might have to use the "Purple stuff" LOL and then follow with an acid wash to get the area clean enough before you proceed.
 I don't know. Maybe it's just my etchics, but I sleep very well at night.

www.mcmastertile.com
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 7:08pm
Oh! I forgot to mention before I took the course I cleaned and sealed a tile floor in a high end condo building. Pad%20Cleaning To make a long story short the tile was glazed and all my profit went into removing the sealer! Ahhhh!!

It was time to educate myself! Idea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 7:14pm
LOL I'm sorry and not trying to be a smartass here but this is where my ethics come in. I stand behind my work and every product that I use. If you want to buy your products @ Home Cheapo, you look like a Cheapo!

Spend the couple of $$$$'s extra on the right chems and do the job right. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to be a smart a$$, but come on, how much money are you really saving in the long run when your company/name is on the line?

Have a good one. Mark

Edited by Mark McMaster - 06/February/2009 at 7:18pm

www.mcmastertile.com
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 7:58pm
Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark McMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 8:02pm
Okay Hammy. You're upClap

www.mcmastertile.com
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2009 at 8:04pm
I'll take door #2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>