Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Do you run your bisiness or does you busi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you run your bisiness or does you busi
    Posted: 21/August/2004 at 12:03pm
Could you be making more working for someone else than you make working for yourself??  Do you have any control of your hours?  Do you have any control over what you charge? Are you making any money?  Just thought I would inquire.  Inquireing minds need to know.Guitar
Just My opinion
Sponsored Links

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2004 at 12:05pm
The topic is suppose to be.  Do you run your business or does your business run you?  Just incase it makes no sence.Guitar
Just My opinion
surroundings View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2004 at 5:57pm
Right now, I'd be getting more business if I was working for someone else, it's true.  Why?  I need to market myself more.

My jobs do return good money.  There's a guy on another forum who talks about his being a 'lifestyle' business.  His surfboards cost more then his CC equipment, and they go with him everywhere.  Why would you pound away 5 or 6 jobs per day (and three on a Saturday)? 

One of my goals is to have the freedom of the four day week, or the freedom to make extra to buy something special if I want. So far we've been surviving, and I get to take the kids to school, pick them up sometimes, capture a dirty afternoon or two with the missus (MY OWN, in case you were wondering), or catch up with a friend for a beer or coffee.

I couldn't get more work if I dropped my rates, as I get most of my jobs that I quote, I just need to get in front of more people. Right now, my need to market makes the business run me.  I don't see that maintaining though.

-Allen

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 10:34am

Money isn't the point in CC.... 1000 dollar day isn't nothing if your willing to work...

service srevice service brings those calls in.... if I have nothing I have that

I'm willing to go the extra 2 miles for any customer I clean for... and it pays off big time in the end....

a lot of you forum members have come and gone....

but Steamers still here singing the same old song....

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 11:50am
Mr. Steamer:  Your making a $1000. a day.  So after the big comapny is done and you and your truck are wore out you get what????  Who runs who?? Your not self employed, your an employee of a big company Guitarright??? You have no control, they jump and you cry how high right????
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 2:19pm

Some for them... some for me... I like it .... It gets me the exposure I need.

The thing is doug I know what I'm doing.... when I clean a carpet it is well cleaned... they don't give anymore work than you want.  Plus with all the line up of people wanting to be carpet cleaners(lol not).  It's the cleaners market if your as good as I am....

I'm not affraid to say it in public I'M DAMN GOOD..... I believe it and I make it true

Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 6:32pm
I almost broke that $1000 day.  The invoice was $999.48 of all things.  I begged and pleaded to clean an office chair, an entry mat, car seat....

OK, slight exaggeration, as that invoice INCLUDED 10% GST (goods & services tax), so I didn't MAKE almost $1000. AND that included carpet protection.... about half of a gallon ($75), and about $15 of chem, and screw it... it felt good to work 20 minutes from home for 6 hours and invoice what I used to make PER WEEK in my old desk job. Including diesel, I was still above $100 per hour profit.

This has got potential.  oh yeah.... good potential.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 8:26pm
Mr. Steamer:  It no wonder you work for someone .  There is only one way to do things in Steamer's world.  That is  Steamer's way and the wrong way.  You should be the instructor of wealth and wellness in the world of cleaning.Guitar
Just My opinion
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/August/2004 at 11:07pm

douggie Say what you want... I don't have to tell you anything... everyone runs business different.  BUT YOU DON'T LISTEN DO YOU!!!!!

I'M A SUB...I DO MY OWN WORK TOO!!!!

that should turn up the volume a little for old man doug.....

Why I make money???? let me tell you...

I'll out smile you...out charm you...out work you...out clean you...out service you... and if I can't I'll knock myself out trying....

Y'all can talk... but I clean carpet and upholstery... and I do it well

I STRIVE TO BE THE BEST

Mr. Steamer "the best there was...the best there is...the beest there will ever be"

Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2004 at 6:28am
Mr. Steamer... and others who might listen in:

No one ever debates about whether or not the sun will rise in the morning.  Why not?  Because it's a 'given.'  Not worth the argument. Silly to argue the rising of the sun, because EVERYONE knows it to be a FACT. It does not require a leap of faith.

What do we argue over?   The things that we're uncertain of.  We argue over our favorate fighter, or hockey team, or we argue our religious beliefs Why?  Because we feel the need to affirm our standpoint.  Because we're not 100% certain of it's fact.   It's not a 'given' it's a leap of faith.

You seem to argue (even when you don't have an opponent) that you are a good carpet cleaner (yeah, yeah, yeah... the best etc... etc.. & so on ad nauseum)

I don't see others doing this.  I see a group of self confidant carpet cleaners who know that they'll do a good job.. sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

Take a leap of faith... belive in yourself without bragging and arguing about it. 

No offence intended,

Allen

Joel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2004 at 9:21am

Mr. Steamer claims to be the best.

Mr. Steamer doesn't take out stains or want to educate himself, yet claims to be the best.

I am new here can someone enlighten me?

What am I missing?

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2004 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Joel Joel wrote:

Mr. Steamer doesn't take out stains or want to educate himself, yet claims to be the best.

What am I missing?

Some people self educate and I see a bit of this in Mr. Steamer. But personality along with a little Irish blarney works wonders. Personality sells. If people like you they will buy from you. When most uneducated cleaners say a spot won't come out most people will believe them. Now what works for some may not work for others.

Welcome to our forum Joel. It's well worth hanging in. If we don't educate you we will entertain you.

I am a magician and when you tell people the sponge ball is in the left hand bar far most people will believe you. Sometimes too much education works against you. Let's face it we are dealing with dirt. Don't bore them with your knowledge of dirt stories.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2004 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Joel Joel wrote:

What am I missing?

Joel:  You are missing nothing.  In Mr. Steamer's case it is simple.

Bulls**t  Baffles Brains. 

However Mr. Steamer is very knowledgeable in this business.  If you don't believe me just ask him. Guitar

Just My opinion
carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2004 at 2:06pm
Many years ago when I first worked and sold into the dry cleaning industry I always remember a dry cleaner in Vancouver who had a large Marquee saying he was the best in Canada. I was devastated by this. How would he know he was the best? Is this an out and out lie? Well years later I now realize this was part of his marketing strategy and if he indeed believed he was the best then good for him. Today you must be a believer in your own product and service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>