Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Water Damage and Fire Damage Restoration Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

mildew keeps coming back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepScrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mildew keeps coming back
    Posted: 29/November/2007 at 5:31pm
    I hit with chemspec heavy odor citrus, and scrubed heavy with shampoo!Is the mildew from a flooded basement stuck in the padding of the carpet? any suggestions? thanks a lot.
"DO YOUR BEST"
Sponsored Links

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2007 at 6:29pm
Were you on this job within three days of the flood? Did you use and air mover and dehumidifier? Did you dry and disinfect under the carpet between the underpad?

If not, trash the carpet and treat the floor with a disinfectant before installing new carpet.
DeepScrub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepScrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2007 at 7:06pm
   I got to it I believe two days later.I did use a dehumidifier and a strong fan to help dry.
"DO YOUR BEST"
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2007 at 7:45pm
If you have a on going odour problem you still have dampness the pad is probably not dry or you may have other componets that are not dry. Do yo have a hydrosensor to check the pad i would say it is still wet
Just My opinion
DeepScrub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepScrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2007 at 9:06pm
    You answered the question right on the head!thanks you guys know everything!
"DO YOUR BEST"
ChemicallyFried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChemicallyFried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2007 at 10:54pm

For future reference take a pliers and pull up a corner of the carpet.  Tuck the turbo dryer under it between the carpet and pad.  It will lift the entire carpet up as there is no where for the trapped air to go.  GO home and come back 4 days later to a dry carpet.  Sleep well and a dehumidifyer works well in combo.  If anyone trys to rush you tell them to kiss your butt.  Now put down a demildicide and pretty smelling deodorizer.  PS rotate the turbo dryer each day between fishing trips to cover the whole room.  Everyone ends up happy in the end. 

I can remove more spots than you can.
Hammy View Drop Down
Carpet Cleaning Guru
Carpet Cleaning Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2007 at 5:52am
4 days to dry a carpet is way too long    
Could somebody just clean my carpets!
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2007 at 10:27am
i could agree with that under most circumstances.
Just My opinion
ChemicallyFried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChemicallyFried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2008 at 10:55pm
for some reason everyone thinks water damage majically dries in 1-2 miraculous days.  the surface of the carpet may but that pad where it contacts the cement for example is hard to get dry.  The last water damage I had was a 850 gallon extraction of a small three bedroom home.  day 1 was the extraction, day 2-4 was turbo dryers and a dehumidifier running with rotation of the turbo dryers each day and getting the turbo dryers under that carpet to dry that pad.  anything less would have been a total failure on my part to get it really dry.  anyone who thinks they can extract and put a turbo down on the top of the carpet only is a fool.  Wink and deodorizer wont cover up mildew under that carpet down in the pad. 
I can remove more spots than you can.
metlhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metlhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by ChemicallyFried ChemicallyFried wrote:

day 1 was the extraction, day 2-4 was turbo dryers and a dehumidifier running with rotation of the turbo dryers each day and getting the turbo dryers under that carpet to dry that pad.  anything less would have been a total failure on my part to get it really dry.  anyone who thinks they can extract and put a turbo down on the top of the carpet only is a fool.  Wink and deodorizer wont cover up mildew under that carpet down in the pad. 

From experience...the first day should be to remove the pad, then extract as much water as possible, then float the carpet with airmovers. With the proper amount of dehumidification, It would be dry the next day.
chuck970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2009 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by metlhart metlhart wrote:

day 1 was the extraction, day 2-4 was turbo dryers and a dehumidifier running with rotation of the turbo dryers each day and getting the turbo dryers under that carpet to dry that pad.  anything less would have been a total failure on my part to get it really dry.  anyone who thinks they can extract and put a turbo down on the top of the carpet only is a fool.  Wink and deodorizer wont cover up mildew under that carpet down in the pad. 

From experience...the first day should be to remove the pad, then extract as much water as possible, then float the carpet with airmovers. With the proper amount of dehumidification, It would be dry the next day.

how come ALL of you so called professional restorers dont know to pull the pad on day one. even waited extraction machines are not worth a sh*t. are any of you certified?
RIP IT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIP IT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2009 at 4:01am
I've been doing water damage restoration since 1992 and the drying times vary greatly depending on a heap of variables. Weather conditions, the method that the carpet is secured to the floor, the type of carpet/underlay and whether or not the homeowners are vacating the premises. Most of the time I will extract water using a waterclaw, float the carpet with one airmover and place two on top of the carpet and dry using an open drying system or if I have to and conditions allow/dictate place 4 airmovers on top of the carpet and a 1200 dehum in a closed drying system. The carpet, underlay and cement slab is ALWAYS dry in 3 days or less using either method. I cannot remember the last time I had to remove underlay. The weather in Brisbane is cold ( less than 20 degrees ) for less than 30 days a year.
IICRC WDR, Carpet Cleaning, Carpet Repair and Reinstallation.
Dont treat people like customers. Treat them like friends.
duckcountry View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2009 at 12:18pm
RIP IT ONE
chuck970 ZERO

Guess attacking the integrity of those on a board when you just get started with 2 out of 4 posts is a bad strategy. 

Do you drink before posting, chucker?  You know if you post drunk, you will get caught.

This message has been brought to you by POPP - Professionals Opposing Polluted Posters

Use a designated poster.
Are you in a high paying business or are you just a self employed low paid grunt who thinks this business provides dignity?
cmaster View Drop Down
IICRC Instigator
IICRC Instigator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/November/2009 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by chuck970 chuck970 wrote:

Originally posted by metlhart metlhart wrote:

how come ALL of you so called professional restorers dont know to pull the pad on day one. even waited extraction machines are not worth a sh*t. are any of you certified?

Certified to do what????Confused

The STD Meter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>