Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Tile and Grout and Hard Surface Floor Cleaning Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Epoxy floor covering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy floor covering
    Posted: 26/April/2004 at 10:05pm

I saw a flyer today for epoxy floor covering.  It's a liquid that you apply very much like applying regular floor finish I think.  The epoxy is 100% solids and looks VERY clear and shiny in the photos on the flyer.  Has anyone heard of this stuff before?  or even tried it?

Sponsored Links

Nighthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nighthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 10:46pm
Hi! Rotti123:  Your flyer for this epoxy sounds interesting, also sounds like a form of a wood finish like what go's on gym floors. ( quick drying acrylic / polyurethane & dries in 48hrs. I have used a floor finish like this  one, not 100% - 45% thick but was applied with a mop.You must turn all ceiling fans off beacuse I found that if you don't you sometimes you get clouding and  hazing & I  thought my 35% solids floor finish was pretty good I use it now. I would also be concerned with the stripping and pick up. And if you do apply it you will never use that mop again. Must be put on with lambs wool or appalcator system with tank . Pretty thick stuff. I'm sure it would gum up the vac.   Night-hawk
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 3:57am
  I'm pretty skeptical about any epoxy vct finish.  The manufacturers say it is easy to remove, but I'd have to see that in person.  In my experience, stripping anything like that from vct is a nightmare.  Also the idea of "no buffing" is scary.  Vct maintanence income is about 10% stripping and refinishing and about 90% buffing and scrubbing.   Manufacturers also claim that it resists chemicals.  If so, what chemicals are used to remove it?  I'd like to see how it stands up to the fingernail polish aisle in any retail store.  The nice thing about standard vct finish is that it is easy to repair.  I have no idea what you'd do if some customer in one of your retail accounts digs a hole in the epoxy with a knife, or if the employees drag some ungodly heavy cart around that is missing a wheel so the sharp edge of the caster digs a rut across the epoxy.  With normal finish you can just spraywax and buff the problem right out.  Worse comes to worse you strip the damaged finish section away in an asymetircal pattern, lay new finish over it, feathering at the edges, and after it sets burnish it out.  I like softer finishes for this reason.  Ease of maintenance, very little dust.  Oh well, thats my 420 cents
Rotti123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 9:29am

This is what I am thinking too.  Maintenance would be a problem.  But I think it is made for floors that would not be maintained like maybe a garage floor, or a workshop, or a chemical lab or something.  It certainly would not replace conventional finishes but maybe it would be another product/service one could offer.  Next time I am in the building that has the flyer posted I will make a copy and post it here.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 1:36pm
cool.  I can see it working on cement but just not vct, though I have seen ones "for" vct.  I'd like to see that flyer when you get around to scanning it. 
gonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2004 at 11:00am
Hey people the way to take it off or to fix deep scratches is to wet screen and then apply another coat. I have never used but REP left some samples in my offices. All issues and feelings you guys have are the same as mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply