Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Upholstery & Fine Fabrics Cleaning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upholstery
    Posted: 26/April/2004 at 2:20pm

I haven't seen too much discussion about upholstery cleaning, but I'd like to get into it.

Where should the newbie start?

Roll on, Buddy
Sponsored Links

carpetologist View Drop Down
The Great Hardini
The Great Hardini
Hocus Pocus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 5:25pm

We sell a IICRC approved instructional manual for upholstery cleaning. Most cleaners with this can be self taught and if you can take an IICRC course in your area.

What ever you do make sure you purchase an upholstery tool with an internal jet spray.

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 7:19pm

Hokie

Way to go,  the admin put a whole new section on upholstery cleaning just for you.

Us Groupie's never had that kind of pull.  Good Luck  

MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 12:23am
Furniture cleaning separates the men from the boys...anyone can clean carpet...not everyone can clean furniture
Mr.Mike View Drop Down
Resident Stooge
Resident Stooge

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 12:56am

Originally posted by MR. STEAMER MR. STEAMER wrote:

Furniture cleaning separates the men from the boys...anyone can clean carpet...not everyone can clean furniture

I agree...but tell nightrider that.

HokieClean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 2:54pm

Nice of you all to chime in, but these posts are about the community here and NOT about any useful advice on upholstery cleaning.

Can anyone talk about the differences between the solutions we'd use for carpets vs furniture?

Roll on, Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 2:55pm
Except for Ted--he made a recommendation on the wand. Thanks!
Roll on, Buddy
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 5:20pm
Hokie:  first you have how to do a fiber ID test. Or be like Steamer and 90% of the upholstery will be nylon.  Which is probably true.  There are not alot of real problem fabrics out there like there was.  I still like to check for colour fastness anyway.  A lot of upholstery are blendes of different fibers the upholstery cleaning depends alot on the amount of soiling.   You made need a higher ph cleaner for the arms and have to agitate the cleaner to the greasy areas and allow dwell time.  I will clean the bad areas first than pretreat and leave till last after a good amount of dwell time.  For the rest of the upholstered area I use as mild a detergent as I can get away with again it depends on the overall soiling.  Don't forget to prevaccuum  the piece before cleaning. Better quit .  Just my opinion Guitar
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 9:40pm

Sounds good to me Doug...but I wouldn't use a higher Ph on the arms...it might take the colour out...or at least you should warn the customer...a nice soft horse hair brush for agitation...becareful when agitating not to distort any of the fibers....

To really impress the customer you should do a black cloth vaccuum test...you'll end up doing all the furniture in the house

LilNiteRidrhood View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilNiteRidrhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 9:59pm

We use neutral presprays for furniture.

Chemspec's Prekleen for Upholstery is dynamite for body oils.

Chemspec Heavy Duty Soil Lifter is a mild prespray for both wet and dry cleaning but should be followed up with an emulsifier.

The usual problem to watch out for with upholstery  is browning followed by colourfastness.

Both these are eliminated by using neutral or acidic cleaners and making sure  the fabric dries quick.

Always watch out for rayon or viscose (same thing). They can easily shrink and waterstain. I recommend to all our cleaners to just not touch rayon.

Edited by LilNiteRidrhood
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 10:29pm

Hokie the wand Ted is talking about is called an Upholstery Tool

I can not put enough emphasis on the importance of the internal jet. Worse thing you could possibly do is put to much water down on upholstery.

The internal jet gives you sufficient amount of water and does not over spray like when you go off the end of the back of a chair you won't spray the walls and pictures. The water is diverted back to the material.

This tool is also designed with a vacuum release in case in some incidents you do require more water you just pull back the button more water is released and then you push it back to vacuum. 

Every body who does upholstery should own one. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HokieClean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 12:35pm

That's what I'm talkin about! Lot's of direct advice.

Thanks everybody!

Roll on, Buddy
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 12:43pm
Wow I guess I had better stick to carpets and Hide.  Till I have been around longer and learn from the Masters.  Just my opinion Guitar
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 10:52pm

Very humble of you Doug

I heard it through the grape vine that you are a Master. 

It's ok Hokie even without direct advise you still can have fun here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>