Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Hi- wanting to start, could use advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotti123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 2:21pm

Padman's system seems to work well but you might have to sell the idea to lot of people.  Many people feel that Pad or Bonnet cleaning is a surface cleaning and not a deep cleaning.  Personally I would go truckmount and add a system like Padman's later if customers seemed interested in it.  Padman's system is very resonably priced so it would not be hard to add that service at some point in the future.  If you really feel strongly that Padman's system is the way to go then you will probably have no problem convincing your customers.  

Sponsored Links

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 3:20pm

Thanks rotti,  If I got the OP system, I would use it as an advertisizing tool- put it right into the ads so they know whats coming from the get-go.  If the OP is as good as a TM than the only thing a TM really brings in is glitz "look at my big bad truck-mounted machine".  There are less expensive ways to ad glitz.  I am pretty good at talking so I don't see much of a problem with it.   Just from past experience in other areas, I know it helps to talk about the customers property (that you are servicing) in organic terms, making it seem like a living thing.  This would dove-tail with the OP system, "...effectively massaging the dirt out from the depths of the carpet with the help of deep-cleansing earth-friendly nutrients and conditioners.  This in contrast to abusing the carpet with hardcore heavy machinery that blasts extremely hot, high-pressure jets of chemical abrasives into the sensitive fibers- then applying an industrial vacuum to pull hard on the carpet fibres in hopes of removing as much of the chemical and soil as possible.  Like a living thing, your carpet has a life-expectancy and its lifespan will only equal the quality and care that is applied to it."  The idea being that OP removes what is bad in a carpet in a way that is good for the carpet.  While TM attempts to remove what is bad for the carpet in a way that is bad for carpet.  Of course I don't know what I am talking about, but people eat that stuff up.  I love selling services.  *My method = good energy into your floor (and of course your home and everyone that walks or crawls or is being raised on those floors)*  *Their method = bad energy into your floor (and your home, and your babies crawling on that carpet and everything that walks across it)*

blah

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 3:38pm
TomR I think you can really expand with op cleaning to water extractiion  grout cleaning and probablly powerwashing.  TomR I think you have been brainwashed.  Maybe you should listen to smoeone a little more open minded and do a good cpomparsion in systems before you accuss all of cleaners who are presently cleaning carpets  with hot water extractiion of being a**holes who are destroying everybobys carpets.  Just my opinionGuitar
TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 4:26pm
doug...lol, I am just researching and looking through my options.  I was saying what I would say if I had only an OP in a market where everyone pushes truckmounts.  Its marketing.  Not telling a lie but rather emphasizing the postives of ones own system while downplaying the negatives, and emphasizing the negatives of the system used by competitors while downplaying the positives.   I wasn't giving my opinion, just what I would say if I was cornered by a customer who seemed to demand a truckmount.  I am sure a skilled carpet cleaner can make a customer just as happy with either a TM or an OP. 
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2004 at 7:31pm

According to Shaw Industries the biggest manufacture of carpet in the world.

Says that hot water extraction is the best method of removing soils in the carpet.

Tom you sound like quite the salesman. If you decide not to get into the cleaning of carpets you certainly can make money selling the cleaning of carpets.  

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 1:57am

hehe, to me its the same job.  Selling the service you do.  Just to test the waters heres a question-  Do you really think that the larger the institution, the more valid its assertions?  Berkshire Hathaway which owns Shaw Industries owns so many different companies and is involved in so many different companies that it is no suprise they happen to support the most common and most expensive system for professionaly cleaning carpets.  Companies get big because they are masters at turning a profit, not because they are masters of the service(s) or products they are marketing.  Shareholders care far more about quarterly profits than they do about how much a company knows about the service or product it is actually selling.  I'll take the word of some salty old small-time master tradesman over what any large company says, any day of the week.  The business of the former is his given trade, the business of the latter is turning a profit.   Craftsmen do not run large companies nor do they issue the official statements or recomendations of those companies.  Rather it is marketing and financial experts that run those companies, and design and authorize those statements to the standard of maximum corporate profit. 

I know nothing about carpet cleaning, but reason dictates that when it comes to what padman says vs what Shaw Industries says, I go with padman.

Like I said, just testing the waters, not trying to get flamed. 

Edited by TomR
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2004 at 9:43pm

Tom your killing me.

Everything you write is in long hand. I have to get comfortable in my chair to read all that you have to say in one breath.   Just joking with you.

Does my flower look stupid to you??   I was just recently at a seminar Cari Mitchell was the speaker and I was quoting what he said.

Yes I get the bigger picture and yes I realize were they are coming from.

You keep saying you do not know much about carpet cleaning yet you have already picked a method of equipment without trying out your other options.

If you want to get into this end of the industry go with eyes wide open. Try everything make your decision or try nothing at all.

Either way I still say your a salesman. 

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 1:06am

Your flower looks cool, it contrasts enough with the other avatars in this setting to make it original. 

I do tend to go on and on and on.  and on

I might seem like I have picked a method, but I really haven't.  I am sure the best method is being good at every method; just being a good carpet cleaner all around.  But considering start-up costs, the OP (if it does what it seems to do) seems like the way to go to start.  I still have to actually use the different types of equipment to actually know.  I'm big on theory, but I am bottom-line practical when it comes down to it. 

A couple of my interests are philosophy and psychology and to be honest with you, any time you sell anything all you are really selling is an idea.  Craft a pretty enough idea and it well definitely sell.

I am a salesman.  I sell my service.  Right now it is janitorial and hardfloors, and I soon hope to include carpets.  If I am actually a good salesman I should be able to pick up alot of residential work.  My experience so far has been all commercial, and so my streamlined angle on the customer is all about cutting their overhead while increasing quality (it is true).  I'll have to develop something that works for residential customers.  For some reason I have a problem selling for other people though.

oh well...I tried to keep it short this time

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2004 at 10:34pm

Tom you talk a good walk. You could sell to me anytime. 

I always thought that commercial business is less stressful then residential and less head aches.

Why not start carpet cleaning on the commercial side first. Gain your experience before you enter into the residential.

I really have no idea if I am right I do not clean. Just asking the questions

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2004 at 1:39am

Adwa,   Thanks again.  I will start cleaning carpets on the commercial side first.  I have my own cleaning accounts I can do and also have friends who do not do carpets who would be happy to refer me to their customers because they know I won't use the carpet cleaning as a way to get my foot in the door for other services.  I also am still going with the idea of working for one of the national companies.  COIT is hiring in my area, I am going to talk to them tomarrow.  Any idea what they pay? 

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2004 at 11:30pm

Tom

I know of only one Coit company that started in Toronto last summer. They I think are having a hard time Franchise in the Canadian market.

I do not know what they pay in the States or Canada for that matter but I do know that they are very strict with what they believe is the best method and chemicals that you should be using.  Good Luck!!

You should step out of this topic of introduce yourself and go on to the other topics on the forum. I think you have a lot to offer.

TomR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2004 at 2:35am

Thanks, I've been posting around here and there.  COIT in the US is about the same.  Very specific about everything.  They use "customized" TM's, pay a percentage, and once your trained pretty much unleash you on your own (with their vehicle, TM, uniform and equipment) to do their work.  I called them and also talked to a few independents I know around here.  Seems coit is the place to work for if your not going to bust out on your own right away.  I am going in for an interveiw tomarrow.  I really want this job now.  Wish me luck!   

Hey, if this don't work out maybe your company is looking for some tele-commuting sales people?  eh?  eh? 

Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2004 at 11:14pm

I do wish you luck Tom !!!

Let us know how it went and Tom just to ad to the stress of the day How were you dressed  lol lol

Stay Cool 

Did you know Coit Tower in San Fransisco was designed, "I was told" by a Madame who had in mind to make it look like a fire hose nozzle, because many fire fighters frequent her establishment.

I wonder if that is true. If you get the job inquire for me

Nighthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nighthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2004 at 1:37am

Hi! Tom:  Welcome to this fourm.  Great piece you wrote on April 26. I was over come with your creative writting " effectively massagingearth friendly nutrients.     WOW keep it up. your the Poet here. John (Padman) will be proud.  I to have been in the Janitorial service for the last 19 yrs and still loving it. Most of the time bonnet cleaning once a mth. in my churchs ( contracts ) and the use of a portable machine 2 times a yr. Do some grout & tile, like it and customer's love it. I to am interested in OP becuase of the three machines in one. Good for me. No space. First place I would try it on would be my own accounts thought. Hope John will be aloud to sell here in Canada. So keep it up.   P.S   doug & steamer & oh I just about forgot Nightrider " Sorry " dude?   Keep those fingers floatin.     Night -hawk         & nbsp; 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>