Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Truckmount Carpet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truckmount Carpet
    Posted: 12/February/2004 at 10:22pm
Truckmounted carpet cleanings units are not for everyone.  First you have to realize you have a piece of equipment thats requires constant maintance daily inspections and a good mechanical back ground.  It also takes much longer to train someone on a a truckmount than a portable, because not only do you have to know how to clean but you must also understand the operation of the cleaning unit.  As with everything a machine put in the hands of the wrong person can cause much damage.  It is not the machine it is the operator that causes problems.  The rules are all together different for a truckmount than a portable.
Sponsored Links

johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/February/2004 at 3:06pm
I agree that Truck-mounted units are not for everyone, but I would oppose those who think that the maintenance aspect is far too difficult. I would say that with the new generations of Truck-mounted systems, maintenance is as difficult as maintaining the car you drive to the office. With 10-15 minutes a day, our company has kept a 10 year old machine and (I'm not lying) a 30 year old unit on the road. The 30 year old unit has been through 10 different vehicles, and there have been some off-days, but you could get that with any type of machine. If one wants to be the ultimate professional, I would strongly consider a truck-mounted unit. I don't think it takes a rocket-scientist to operate them nowadays, just a little bit of commitment on a daily basis. The heat and suction generated from these machines can and will leave portable equipment far behind. There are obvious limitations two truck-mounted systems (ie high rise buildings, parking accesablitity, so portable equipment should still be available, but I would strongly recommend truck mounted systems as my choice
If it's worth doing, It's worth doing right
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2004 at 10:46pm
One should consider unless you live in the south that we have winter.  If you donot have a good sizes shop if you are a smaller operator you will have to find a garage to put your van inside in the winter.  This again adds to your overhead and in some cases may not justify a truckmount as you may not in your area be ablt to increase your charges enough to off set the extra cost of a truckmount.
Steaminpile View Drop Down
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2004 at 4:13am

I can't imagine not cleaning with my Cleanco

I live in North central B.C. and we don't have many high rises, I just use heaters inside the van during winter (no shop yet).

maintenance on pto's is minimal IMO.

cleaning is much easier with a TM

A.K.A.
Andy
Cd-Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cd-Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2004 at 10:51am

I live on Vancouver Island and I agree, I couldn't imagine cleaning without a truckmount...moreover, a Cleanco Truckmount.

I've used portables when I had to clean skyscrapers in Calgary but still, it doesn't come close to a TM IMHO.

Ron

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2004 at 9:48pm
I have a question for all you dedicated truckmount operators.  How much more a square foot are you getting for your truckmount than you got for your portable.  And how much a square foot more does it cost you to operate your truckmount compared to a portable?  Is it the truck that gets you your work, your price your refferals are you making more or do you really know?
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2004 at 12:07pm

My expenses are higher no doubt.

1 out of 3 (approx.) phone calls I get from new customers ask if I have one of those machines that I bring in and use their water and dump in their toilet or do I just bring in the hoses.

There is a sound of relief when I tell them I just bring in the hoses and use my own water.

Even more so on commercial accounts.They just ask if I have a truckmount.

So I would have to say YES,it does help me get work.

No,I can't reach all high rises,but I can count on one hand how many buildings in my city I cannot reach.

If I were living in a larger city where portables were more acceptable,I would have given a more serious look at being a POG (portable only guy).

Edited by Steaminpile
A.K.A.
Andy
Cd-Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cd-Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2004 at 4:26pm

I'll give you one case I had a while back.

I showed up to the customers place and the first thing he wanted to see was the truckmount. Before me a POG came along and the customer nearly flipped, so he told me. Turned the guy away.

Another case was a customer wanted to see what kind of van I was driving and the truckmount.

I cannot justify the cost of a portable when a lot of people (homeowners) will not do business with a carpet cleaning company that doesn't use a truckmount out here.

Just like Steampile, I too can count on one hand the number of buildings I can't reach in my area with the TM.

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2004 at 11:14pm
Do you really think the average homeowner knows one thing about a truckmount? Weather it has a #4 or #14 blower can pump 20 gallons an minute @ 400 degrees while all the time perking coffee. What if you told him it 20 years old an a good portable has more power?  What about Bain Clean an exectric tm.  I seen a home made tm with a power washer with  hooked up to a blower with a waste tank.  Hell some tms barely have enough power to use more than a hundred feet of hose little own maintain 100 degree water with a single heat exchanger.  But Bull Bafflles Brains
Master Carpet Cleaner
Master Carpet Cleaner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steaminpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2004 at 12:18am

As for an answer to Doug's question earlier

"I have a question for all you dedicated truckmount operators.  How much more a square foot are you getting for your truckmount than you got for your portable."

I could charge the same and still make more money because I can get the job done in far less time in my opinion.

Not trying to insult portables.

But even at 400 feet I feel I have better suction than a portable,and better heat.

Curious what machine has 1 heat exchanger?

all the machines I've looked at had 2

TM's I've worked with (about 8) were Cleanco's and AquaTech's

Cd-Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cd-Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2004 at 3:03am

Well Doug, if you take a crappy 20 year old TM and compare it to todays State of the art Portable, yeah, the portable will blow it away. That I have no doubt.

It's all relative if you ask me.

But I would challenge anyone with a todays state of the art portable with my state of the art  Cleanco TM on the same square fottage of carpet and I would bet the TM would be done quicker with the same results.

I'm not trashing portables, that has never been my intent, they have their place...5 or 6 stories and higher.  The only reason I don't have one is because

we don't have too many buildings that are that high here.

Take Care

-Ron H. 

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2004 at 3:47pm
I have cleaned with a cd and you will find if you are using a rx20 or rotovac what ever at the truck you will be lucky to maintain between 190 and 200 degrees. with heat exchangers.  The same will be true if you are cleaning with wands  the heat may even be less.
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2004 at 7:31pm
I left out something I ment dual wand operation. Most truckmounts are made for 2 wands but not all can carry 2 wands maintaing heat and extraction power.
kool-aid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool-aid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/March/2004 at 3:48pm

In my city, apartments are the major source of work.  The property managers require truckmounts on all jobs.  I believe the guy operating the cleaner is most important though.  I think I could do a better job with a rug doctor, than a monkey with a truckmount.  But  put me on a truckmount and look out.  Portables can do a great job, but What the customers perceives is way more important.  In my opinion, the respectable companies all use truckmounts, but of course, there are employees who don't care about doing a good job. 

I do like heat exchangers, provided the tech can stay moving.  I'm trying to get rid of my propane burners, I've almost had a tech blow himself up lighting the thing, a little cream fixed his face.  Almost blew myself up once, no burns that time, just sounded like the 4th of July. 

One last thought, I hate spending money but have learned to start with good stuff.  It's frustrating fixing equipment when there's work to be had.  Ever have to rig up an interesting contraption to finish a job?   I had to finish a restuarant I was doing out of town with a furniture detailer because my wand tipped over and the quick connect broke off.  Note to self: carry another wand!

ps.  I hate hydramaster!  those mix tanks drive me nuts when the float sticks and my van  becomes the titantic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>