Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Truck Mount Carpet Steam Cleaning Machines & Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

Truckmount Carpet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/March/2004 at 6:33pm
MY GAWD MEN!!!!! Truckmount operation is as easy as pie...actually easier than a portable....and you know your covered with all that suction if you over wet...
Sponsored Links

Monsterclean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsterclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2004 at 6:05am

I own 2 Ninja portable machines, a Hydramaster 4.8 truckmount and a 2001 Vortex truckmount.  Although the portables do keep costs down, they also keep profits down.  Portables break too often, require too much effort to set up and are too darn slow.  I was not able to make any money with them.  The van-mounted Hydramaster is a huge leap forward, but it is NOT a true dual wand machine.  The Vortex is an excelent machine.  I can run three wands from the Vortex with no loss of cleaning power to any of the operators.  It has a faster set up time, faster cleaning time, and drys carpets faster.  For $1100 a month, it is a real bargain.  Advertising and labour costs dwarf my equipment costs.  The biggest drawback is that I can only clean in one place at any given time.  The biggest benefit... No other company in Hampton Roads Virginia has a Vortex and my customers regularly ask for "The big truck".  I also like the Hydramaster for good profits. 

kool-aid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kool-aid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2004 at 12:38pm

How much hose comes on those trucks?(vortex) 

How do you set up a typical job, let's say, 5000 sq ft?

How many techs can work off one truck?(where do they ride?)

They look sweet in the ads I've seen-I've always doubted dual wand capability's, but sounds like this one can handle it?

How's the heating system ran?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsterclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2004 at 9:38pm

The truck has about 500' of hose, but there is room for a lot more (although no more will fit on the reel).  The heat exchanger is over 6 feet long.  The water is actually hotter when running on at least two wands.  I do not understand why this is the case.  There is seating for three in the truck (in the cab).  Yes, it can easily handle dual wands.  We have never used this machine at full capacity.  We dial down the vaccum, run water pressure at 500 psi and still leave any carpet dry in less than two hours. 

I do a lot of commercial work.  Although my source generally pays only 4.7 cents a square (for commercial work), there is a lot of work.  Most jobs are well over 10,000 square ft.  For example, my next job is 28,000 sqaure ft.  The job will pay a little over $1300 and will take 3 technicians about 5 hours to complete (at night) with one truck.  The price seems really low, but we typically clean over 100,000 square a month for the referral agency.   

My truck is three years old.  If you want a photo, I will email it to you.

nightrider View Drop Down
Marketing Master
Marketing Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2004 at 4:45pm

I have a question for Monsterclean, I too have a truckmount that can accomadate 3 wands. I have an older model Steam Action 1990 in the original dodge 350 extended model van with a 360 V8. This unit has 2 heat exchangers Number 1 is a hot water heat exchanger where the water is preheated to 180 F and then there is a secondary exhaust heat exchanger linked to the catalytic converter where it is further heated to up to 240 F. On very hot days I have reached close to 290F . While operating at 3 wands I have no loss of suction, neither water heat. The blower is a 68 Roots, and believe it or not I have had carpet drying time down to between 15 minutes on low pile and never more than an hour for complete drying time on high residential type of broadloom. The CFM on the blower is 700 plus. This is the last workhorse on the market today in the world ( certified and true ) This unit is all stainless steel, has 2 Stainless steel fresh water tanks holding 100 gallons in each, 1 stainless steel 150 gallon waste tank and  1 stainless steel 50 gallon chemical tank to hold your prespray. Has 400 feet of vacuum and H.P hose on reels built in. I bought this truck from Ted at KleenKuip last year and I think he regrets selling it. After all that is said, even though I love this truck it has its limitations. I find where the truck was designed to do the bulk of all the heavy large square footage jobs, like the one you are about to do ( 28,000 ) It just doesn't cut it. If you calculate the labour and time to set up, gas running for 5 hours ( I think it will take you more than 10 hours to do that job........unless your 3 guys can clean 1,866 square feet an hour each, never take a break,never refill and empty the truck, never move a chair or desk or wharever, never scrape a piece of gum, never prespray, and never sweat) not to mention cost of chemical to clean 28,000 Sq. Ft. Hourly wage @ at least 10.00 Hr time to close up shop and drive home. If you already did this job from the time you posted to the time I responded let me know if you actually made more than 500 $ for all that effort. You would have been better off cleaning a small 3000 Sq.ft restaurant and walk away with 300.00$ in your pocket doing it yourself and a helper and walking away after an hour or so. The real winner is your customer, do you have any idea what savings he has hiring out the work to you. MOUCHO BUCKS. If you had 2 walkbehinds with 25 gallon holding tanks you can clean 4000-6000 sq.ft an hour using less soap, no gas, yourself and 1 helper, less time, and no energy costs.I don't know how you do it and still pay the bills, you must be freakin tired. Instead of the Vortex Truck working for you..........You are working for the Vortex Truck.     Jack from Montreal      aka NIGHTRIDER

F

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsterclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2004 at 2:43pm

Nightrider..

I will make money on the job, and yes, I know that it sounds crazy.  I couldn't make a fair profit with my van.  The Vortex turns and burns.  

I have a BSBA in accounting.  Numbers are my thing.  This space can easily be cleaned in five hours (low-grade commercial carpet).  I have done it many times.  My customers are satisfied with the work.  Net on this job is $900.  I kill my competition with these prices (no, I don't murder them.... but it is a thought).  My goal is to net over $200k next year.  

Advertising costs scare me.  How does $60k a year sound?  Yeehaaa that is scary stuff, but it works.  I am buying more trucks this year too.  No, they will not all be Vortex machines.  They are not well suited to residential work.  I can't split the damned trucks in half.  

Best of luck to you in your business adventure.  Have fun!

Sincerely,  Barry

Edited by Monsterclean
MR. STEAMER View Drop Down
True Patriot
True Patriot

Only in the GTA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR. STEAMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2004 at 7:19pm
I'm affraid to hire anyone ....my business will never grow any bigger than 2 trucks...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsterclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2004 at 5:16pm

Hiring people is difficult.  

How do I know who to hire, how many people to hire, whether they should be seasonal or full time?  If someone has a formula that works, tell us about it.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2004 at 9:23am
Hey Doug...who services your two prochems????
People & Standards You Can Trust
doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2004 at 6:38pm

Originally posted by Stanley Stanley wrote:

Hey Doug...who services your two prochems????

Sinclair Sales in Chatham.  Thats where I purchased them Chatham is closer.

Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/April/2004 at 11:57pm

Doug do you find that the internal parts dry out and crack fast???all those little hoses?? or the Belts???

Do you do any service yourself?????is your van Insulated???

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2004 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Stanley Stanley wrote:

Doug do you find that the internal parts dry out and crack fast???all those little hoses?? or the Belts???

Do you do any service yourself?????is your van Insulated???

The parts are fine.

Hoses are fine

The vans are insulated.

I went to the 405 units because the Bruin II unit was to high maintence with constant belt problems

WE do alot of our own service.

The 405 has little to service compared to the bruin

doug View Drop Down
King of the One Liners
King of the One Liners

Just My opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2004 at 9:28pm
Stanley:  How is the ledgen for maintainence belts etc. Is that unit air cooled.  They make so many differnet units it is hard to keepup.  Where did you purchase it in T0?
Stanley View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2004 at 9:56pm

Well to Tell you the Truth Doug...this unit use to be hell.....I got it from Sinclair T.O. but every week something use to blow...solenoids....to control the temp...overheating shut down...and all the little by-bass hoses use to dry up and crack...the belts use to break 1 a month at least...I remember a time I went threw 6 belt changes in a week...1 a day in real hot weather.....But Carpet cleaning not being my only background..I pulled most of the crap out....changed a lot of the hoses to black steam pipe...

reworked the temperature water wasting system...no more emptying my fresh water tank while I cleaned at low temperatures or furniture...

I also have a belt made by a company called power fist...rated for real high temperatures ...so now I only change the belts every six months...

It was a great learning experience...I really know the ins and outs of that machine, and I think my improvement have improved the overall proformance...

I haven't been down a day for the last two years....I just maintain with regular maintenance...That machine works six days a week..I love her and she loves me..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>