Welcome to KleenKuip.com's Professional Carpet Cleaners Discussion Forum!

Carpet Cleaning Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Carpet Cleaners Discussion > Carpet Cleaners Hangout
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial Floor Cleaning Machines

any advice starting out??please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 6:32am
phoenix stick to your guns man, like you said, let the bottom feeders do the cheap calls. your plan sounds good to me.  
nothing is impossable. it just hasn't been done yet.
Sponsored Links

greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 6:38am
and steamer put your price up man. your the best cleaner in TO, are you not? than charge for it.... did you contact some of your old repeat clients and tell them you were on your own.  how did that work out? 
Adwa View Drop Down
Queen of the Board
Queen of the Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 7:34am
Greg when you have worked for a company so long it is hard to brake loose of their low ball mentally. Steamer wants to stay competitive with them and slowly bring his pricing up to his repeat customers. Which I'm sure they would pay for his good service.
The Following Statements do not Necessarily Reflect the Views of this Forum Network

http://www.kleenkuip.com
Rick/Magic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 8:24am
price is NOT a factor in repeat business...it's the way you handle yourself with your customers...I make it a point to make a customer into a CLIENT...If I clean a client's home more than 2 times, then we are on a first name basis from then on...after all, the whole purpose of advertising is to get the customer to try you the FIRST time...after that, it's up to you to KEEP them using your service...if you are depending on mass mail just to keep you working, then you won't last long in this business...or any other business for that fact...I used mass mail to attract customers untill I built up a client base big enough to keep me working year round...and I haven't used mass mail for 10-15 yrs now...sure it was expensive at first, but it was an investment into my company that did pay off in the long run...it's much easier and less expensive to keep a CLIENT than it is to attract new customers...not that I don't always welcome new customers...but, I get them from referals now...and yes, I do agree...let the low ballers and bait and switchers have the low end of the market...I don't waste my time with people who don't want to pay my price for my service...remember, it's who you don't clean for that also helps you succeed...It sounds snobbish, but I am not interested in a low income home that hasn't been cleaned in 4-5 yrs...I'll stick with the upper income homes that are cleaned 2-4 times per year...they pay well, don't quibble about price and their checks don't bounce...
25 years of cleaning carpet
and my back hurts
JCOOPER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCOOPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 12:56pm

GOOD STUFF.

REPEATS ARE GREAT.IM STARTING TO GET SOME(MOSTLY MY WIFES FRIENDS).I JUST DONT HAVE A BOAT LOAD OF MONEY RIGHT NOW.

I WOULD LOVE A FANCY TRUCK WITH HUNDREDS OF CHEMS.

AND BECOME A "PROFESSIONAL"

WHO WOULDNT.RIGHT NOW IM JUST TRYING TO MAKE ENOUGH TO

SEND OUT 5000 BULK MAIL FLYERS.I SPEND 150/MONTH ON THE NEWSPAPER.ALSO NEED TO TRY MORE FLYERS AROUND MY HOUSE.

I USED TO WORK FOR BAIT AND SWITCH(AMERICLEAN) AND IT SUCKED.

BUNCH OF ROBBERS.IF SOMEONE WANTED A BASIC CLEANING 5.95$ PER ROOM THEY WOULD DO IT IN ABOUT 10 MINUTES.ONCE I WENT TO DO SOMEONES REDO 45 MINUTES AFTER THEY LEFT.I GOT TO THE HOUSE, CARPETS WERNT EVEN WET.HE DIDNT EVEN DO IT.

THATS THE REASON IM ON MY OWN NOW.

OTHER THAN SCOTCHGUARD,SANITIZER PET ODERS AND ETC.

I CHARGE 15/ A ROOM.I INCLUDE PRE SPRAY +SCRUB.I WOULD LIKE TO CHARGE MORE.

( I EVEN HADE A LADY FROM VEGAS LET ME DO HER HOUSE

IN AZ.NEVER MET HER ONLY ON PHONE.I DID THE WORK, SHE PAID.GREAT.

NEEDED MONEY I EVEN CLEANED HER HOUSE.IT SUCKED!!NEVER AGAIN.)

HOW CAN I CHARGE MORE?THAT WILL CUT DOWN ON CALLS.RIGHT.

IM NOT GETTING MANY AS IT IS.IM THE NICEST GUY EVER.I GET ALONG W/CLIENT GREAT, I WILL SPEND AS LONG AS I HAVE TO.TO DO A GREAT JOB.BUT THERE IS ONLY SO YOU CAN DO.SOMETIMES.

I HAVE THE TRUST JUST NOT ENOUGH CLIENTS...WHATS THE BEST TIME OF DAY FOR FLYERS?

I KNOW THIS IS LONG.SORRY.THANK AGAIN. 

JCOOPER
greg View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 4:07pm

i see your point adwa, i just hate to see someone with talent get under paid is all. steamer is worth more than he's charging. all of us are. i had a client today compain about her bill. she said "thats more than i paid last year" and i told her our price went up 2 cents per sq foot and 50 cents per step since the last time. she fussed a bit but paid. others have complained too and thats not a big increase. i hope steamer doesn't have the same problem. even if the client is happy with your work they may stray for a lower price.

Phoenixcarpet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenixcarpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2005 at 10:46pm
Jcooper, listen man, I live in phoenix as well.  I just did a 1200 sq ft condo, with 180 sq ft of it as tile, so I didnt even half to touch that area.  the place was empty and only a little dirty.  ONE red stain that was out in 1 min. and one water stain, by the front door.  I didnt do it for even 15 a room, i would of only gotten 105 $.  Instead I told him that everone else wants to charge the 5 per room plus .25cents a sq ft.  I got .30 cents a sq ft that way and $35 for the red stain.  $355 dollars cash even, just ask for it, if they wont pay then leave.  Then you can afford to grow and pay your bills.  hope htis helps.
JCOOPER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCOOPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2005 at 3:55pm

darrell

if you came to my house and wanted 355$ for anything i would shoot you.joke.dont find me and kill me.

so are you mean i should change me fees for every job?

355 just for the carpet?i could use jobs like that.

if people dont know what i charge, why would they call.

i want to be as honest as i can.maybe charge per /ft is way to go?

JCOOPER
PadMan View Drop Down
Dr. Low Moisture
Dr. Low Moisture

http://ccsop.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2005 at 4:53pm

I WOULD LOVE A FANCY TRUCK WITH HUNDREDS OF CHEMS.

AND BECOME A "PROFESSIONAL"

JCooper, a truck with 100's is seldom PROFESSIONAL, having the RIGHT chems and that don't take that many is a sign of a PROFESSIONAL..

Converting HWE customer to VLM customers for 30 Years!
Phoenixcarpet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenixcarpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2005 at 5:35pm

jcooper,

u need a unique selling propostion, IE your add should show the customer what is different about you to your customer.  earlier you said you only listed in the service directory, not much you can say there, so when they call you have to first, get them to tell you all about their situation, ask questions, lots of them, then after they start to get comfortable on the phone with you reassure them that the special methods you use will take care of their problems, then ask them when they want to scedule you in.  Some will give you a time, and your in without having to give away the farm.  Others will ask you how much you think it will cost them.  Say, I charge a $100 minimum, or .30 cents a square foot.  We can do as little or as much as you want when we take a look at the carpet together so I can make sure I can complete the job better than what you were even expecting.  They will bite down, and you will make money that way.  even if you end up doing $100 worth, they will see the difference and get emotional about wanting the whole house to look the same way.  Then you have them at your rates, because they upsold themselves, not you.  It works.  Just be confident and you will see.

JCOOPER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCOOPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2005 at 8:03pm

darrell thanks

good ideas.your right about service directory.cant say much.flooring you with quality!15/per room.

thats about it.

you like the"flooring you with quality".dont you?ha-ha.something different.just me and one other guy this week.give me some calls.pretty much everyone who calls i end up doing.

just need more calls.

JCOOPER
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2005 at 11:07am
jcooper...you would shoot me twice then...last Monday, I cleaned 3 sofas, 2 loveseats, and 2 chairs with 1 ottoman...billed the client $490.00...she wrote me a check for $530.00...I didn't notice this untill I got home and was making out the bank deposit...I called her and asked why she did this thinking it must have been a mistake on her part...and she told me that I deserved a $40.00 tip for doing such a good job...and for working her in on such short notice...she called Sunday night and I happened to have Monday afternoon open...she is a client and her home is a multi-million dollar house in a sub division with a security gate that she has to make sure that every time I come she has me on the list so I can get into the sub division...a little extra work on her part...this is a prime example of what Ron Toney told me 20 yrs ago about customers' investment in ME...the more the customer does for you, such as moving furniture out before you get there...giving you a drink of water or a soft drink, or calling the guard shack to put your name on the list... the more valuable you become to the customer
and my back hurts
JCOOPER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCOOPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2005 at 11:10am

dam dude

thats awesome.i need some of that!!!thanks

how did she find you???

JCOOPER
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick/Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2005 at 11:28am
she got my name from her friend who I clean for also...one of my cheerleaders...

CUSTOMER:...someone who tries your service

CLIENT:...someone who uses your service on a regular basis

CHEERLEADER:...someone who is a client and brags about you to all of their friends
and my back hurts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>